LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Drag race

So anyone drag raced.. stock or tuned.. how does our bike hold up

I have a drag race coming with stock zx10r coming up.

I hope i can hold uptill 200km/hr
post #2 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlU View Post
So anyone drag raced.. stock or tuned.. how does our bike hold up

I have a drag race coming with stock zx10r coming up.

I hope i can hold uptill 200km/hr
Not at a track, but regular traffic light drag races on our regular route

Up to 200kmh I can regularly beat BMWS1000RR, CBR1000, GSXR1000R, Z1000R and loads of smaller bikes

Never actually been beaten to 200 but then I chicken out/know some of them (S1000RR and GSXR1000R) they will destroy me over 200
post #3 of 11 Old 12-05-2018, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
Not at a track, but regular traffic light drag races on our regular route

Up to 200kmh I can regularly beat BMWS1000RR, CBR1000, GSXR1000R, Z1000R and loads of smaller bikes

Never actually been beaten to 200 but then I chicken out/know some of them (S1000RR and GSXR1000R) they will destroy me over 200
Yeah quit before they destroy us, and have the glory of beating them initially :P... sounds like a plan to me
oldjackbob likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-07-2018, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
you be side by side first 3 gears then they start walking away then running away...quick shifter helps but see no fun in them,,,,so have fun...they rpm higher equils more wheel speed....plenty of youtube vids...bad gsxr riders lose to gsxs...some times they get caught from behind and sometimes they dont.....nice thing is if you want to be the fastest you can buy a bike and hold that title... anyone can do it nothing special........
post #5 of 11 Old 12-08-2018, 09:33 PM
DDay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I ride a 2018 1000 Z that’s mechanically stock With the exception of Perelli Diablo’s and so far it’s held up great against Just about anything that’s lined up with me on two wheels or four which has run the gambit from a McLaren 720 to a 2018 Hayabusa and everything in between!..
Tips
1- if you’re going to drag your bike even in a short quarter-mile race wind resistance is a huge factor especially if you have a naked model so make sure you do everything in your power to help the Aerodynamics along make sure you tuck in deep make sure you’re wearing the tightest fitting clothing you can and make sure your legs have a death grip on the sides of the bike
2- I Run 100 octane VP Racing fuel pretty much all the time and have found that since I started doing that I get better performance I don’t know if it’s in my head or not but the bike just feels better at high speeds and high rpm’s with the higher octane fuel take it or leave it it’s up to you.
3-Because of the characteristics of this particular motor the most important thing I found when it comes to dragging this bike is using first and second gear to their full potential which admittedly on this machine can be terrifying even for a very experienced riders !I have routinely redlined my bike through first and second gear in races with my traction control off with front wheel touching the ground for a grand total of 15-20 Percent of that time But it’s in that terrifying act that I find most of the time dictates whether I’m going to win or lose so to sum it all up get comfortable launching your bike...Good luck on your race and Remember that by definition this particular motorcycle wasn’t meant to be a dedicated race bike or drag bike so you will win some and you will lose some that last Hayabusa that I ran against vaporize my ass but it was still a good time and I don’t regret taking the challenge!
CtrlU likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-08-2018, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Garage
I'll leave all of the "terrifying acts" to you guys more guts than I. I abide by the rule that "A man has to know his limitations" and that comes into sharp focus when the consequences are most severe. The GSX-S isn't going to be nearly as fast as a lot of bikes out there. That's just a fact. The fact that it is fast enough and nimble enough to get you through traffic faster than 99% of the clutter is enough for me.

BTW, 100 octane ain't doing squat unless you've increased the compression ratio somehow.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-08-2018, 10:33 PM
DDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I'll leave all of the "terrifying acts" to you guys more guts than I. I abide by the rule that "A man has to know his limitations" and that comes into sharp focus when the consequences are most severe. The GSX-S isn't going to be nearly as fast as a lot of bikes out there. That's just a fact. The fact that it is fast enough and nimble enough to get you through traffic faster than 99% of the clutter is enough for me.

BTW, 100 octane ain't doing squat unless you've increased the compression ratio somehow.
well said. And no I’ve done nothing that would change the compression ratio I run the hundred octane because I’ve had bad experiences in the past getting poor quality 91 octane in my area ( a problem that is very well known to motorcyclists local to my area ) I’m sure the 95-100 octane VP racing fuel’s that I have been using are Probably unnecessary but I’m willing to spend a little bit of extra money to not have those headaches ... and as far as my riding like a maniac I respect you too much to make excuses
CtrlU and mike d like this.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDay View Post
well said. And no Iíve done nothing that would change the compression ratio I run the hundred octane because Iíve had bad experiences in the past getting poor quality 91 octane in my area ( a problem that is very well known to motorcyclists local to my area ) Iím sure the 95-100 octane VP racing fuelís that I have been using are Probably unnecessary but Iím willing to spend a little bit of extra money to not have those headaches ... and as far as my riding like a maniac I respect you too much to make excuses
Well, the gas thing might be a problem here too, I'm not sure. I always figured that the places with bad gas probably had bad gas regardless of the octane. I usually fill up at a Chevron if it's an option (and there are a few on my main routes), and (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems. But you know your area and the local wisdom is usually solid.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-08-2018, 10:55 PM
DDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDay View Post
well said. And no I’ve done nothing that would change the compression ratio I run the hundred octane because I’ve had bad experiences in the past getting poor quality 91 octane in my area ( a problem that is very well known to motorcyclists local to my area ) I’m sure the 95-100 octane VP racing fuel’s that I have been using are Probably unnecessary but I’m willing to spend a little bit of extra money to not have those headaches ... and as far as my riding like a maniac I respect you too much to make excuses
Well, the gas thing might be a problem here too, I'm not sure. I always figured that the places with bad gas probably had bad gas regardless of the octane. I usually fill up at a Chevron if it's an option (and there are a few on my main routes), and (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems. But you know your area and the local wisdom is usually solid. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
I concur I never had a problem with the Chevron with tecron most of my problems have been with Shell and unfortunately they are everywhere around here😕
post #10 of 11 Old 12-09-2018, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
@ mike d
Quote:
"A man has to know his limitations"
At 77 I'm still on the learning curve.
LEAVEITSTOCK and oldjackbob like this.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page