LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-08-2018, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
r_p

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
S1000F vs 1250S

My current bike is a Victory which I bought brand new and just love. However, I only use it on weekends and because it has loud (but very therapeutic) pipes it is somewhat impractical for daily use, particularly at odd hours.

Therefore I have been looking at a used/beat-up sport bike that I can drive daily and not care much about. Last week I was at my local used bike dealership and came across a very reasonably priced low mileage (<2k) GSX-S1000F which I bought.

However, because the bike has not yet been delivered I have a chance to exchange it without any penalty. The thing is that they also have the 1250S (same year and very similar mileage) which got me thinking that perhaps it might be better for me. I did test ride the S1000F (after I bought) but wasn't too impressed. But then I really didn't get a chance to take it on the highway.

I do not plan on using the bike on the track but I do like to go fast on the highway and love torque. I want something that is stable, and feels comfortable and planted at 90 mph.

Now the S1000F and 1250S are very different bikes but given my use and budget they are somewhat similar (the bandit is $500 cheaper than the S1000F, has similar mileage and is more of an all-rounder).

I have been reading about some the issues with S1000F here (e.g., throttle response, lack of good wind protection in spite of windshield/fairings etc.) and need some friendly advice very soon.

Last edited by r_p; 12-08-2018 at 07:49 AM.
post #2 of 14 Old 12-08-2018, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
yup 1250 sounds good for you
post #3 of 14 Old 12-08-2018, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
no wind protection on the Bandit

post #4 of 14 Old 12-08-2018, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The difference will come when you wind up the motor on the gsx1000...it has good mid range considering the bike type though.

I had a r3 before it so understand what having real torque is like, but with the gsx once you get used to using the above 6k rpm power delivery it is a very enjoyable experience....

I'm not sure the bandit would provide the same level and type of satisfaction as the gsx....or give you the torque you're used to with the victory either being an IL4...it may not provide anything you like?
post #5 of 14 Old 12-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
The F weighs 90 lbs less, has 50 more HP, almost identical torque, better brakes, modern aluminum frame, and I haven't ridden the Bandit, it doesn't look like it has any more protection. It lists for about $2000 less if resale is a consideration. I commute on my F every day when the weather permits, and it is a fantastic bike for that (or anything else). ... but I haven't ridden a Bandit, and I'm biased, but the numbers don't lie.
lost likes this.

Last edited by mike d; 12-08-2018 at 10:27 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-08-2018, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Garage
I owned a 1250 Bandit and a very relaxed ride it was too. Guessing from your comments I would think that that is the bike for you. The GSX-s does not have the same relaxed riding position or driving experience it begs to be thrashed and is more sports orientated. It can be ridden slowly however if you have the will power.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #7 of 14 Old 12-08-2018, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
If you're used to cruisers you might not like the GSXS, it's basically a gixxer superbike but with more upright ergos. The Bandit also has better luggage options.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-08-2018, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido1 View Post
no wind protection on the Bandit
There are plenty of aftermarket screens available.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS
post #9 of 14 Old 12-08-2018, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
97bhp, okay can live with that but 254kg is just toooo much, reckon completely different bike but never ridden one, try and test ride both is my advice

but then the best bikes I've had I never test rode, not actually even rode my GSX yet, too many points for insurance, going to be a long winter, going nuts

mike

video link

Last edited by quatro; 12-08-2018 at 11:56 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-08-2018, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
I have both - and they are different bikes for different moods.

Bandit is the heavier of the 2 (about 550 pounds stock), with great low end torque and rides well on the highway. It is nicely modified and puts out about 125hp (Holeshot.com mods).

GSX is much lighter (about 475 pounds stock); and is great on winding roads. It is now being modified.

A bigger person may like the Bandit better, a smaller person may like the GSX better.

Try them both.
mike d and r_p like this.

Last edited by GSXS-NH; 08-05-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page