27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 12-18-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My Forgotten Bike in Garage Corner

Have such a classic kick ass beautiful bike just sitting like a museum piece in the back of my garage. Makes me sad every time I look at her. Used to ride her a lot, but she got bumped by a Suzuki, as these days I prefer the upright comfort of my GSXS. I take her out periodically to keep her juices flowing, but she sits on stands almost forgotten, on a battery tender.

An original first generation 2005 Kawasaki ZX-10R. Remember? The 1000cc bike that feels like a 600? The "Widow Maker"? Bought it from original owner with 4,000 miles, has only 11,000 miles on her today. Runs and looks perfect, like new.

The biggest (ridiculous) upgrade I did to her was BST carbon fiber wheels! (worth half the value of the bike)! So 170 rear wheel hp, was 410 lbs stock, so maybe you can imagine, with these BST wheels it accelerates, wheelies, brakes and turns in like a dream race bike.

She has many other upgrades - a trick "Hex" Yosh Slip on same as Kawasaki WSB at the time (that I was able to adapt to fit with the proper link pipe from a different model as was not available for ZX-10R at the time), rear sets, upgraded rotors (made by UK "Braking", same as I have now on my GSXS), Nissan caliper upgrade, Brembo master cylinder, GPR Steering stabilizer, braided brake lines, fender eliminator, solo seat, dark windshield, Pirelli Super Corsa SC2's, etc, etc ...

So I just wanted to give her some respect by sharing her story with my fellow Forum Members. As I live in Cabo San Lucas, the market for radical sporty bikes is extremely limited here, so never tried to sell her. 'Cause I don't want to!

What's your forgotten bike in the garage corner?
dekker, Beaker, PhuketPaul and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Rapido1; 03-18-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #2 of 29 Old 12-18-2018, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
Beautiful bike! I've cleaned out all of my previous bikes because I don't even have a garage, just a shed I call my bike hole, but there are many bikes that I've owned over the years that I miss and wish I still had (except for the maintenance).
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
post #3 of 29 Old 12-18-2018, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Beautiful bike! My semi forgotten is a 2007 GSXR1000. It has full titanium Nojima exhaust., BMC air filter, secondary throttle plates removed, retuned ecu, Arata brake rotors, Brembo front master cylinder , SS brake lines.It has 19,000 mi on it and had never seen rain. It wasn't being used much as it was causing wrist and neck pain in my old ass.
So I picked up a '16 GSXS 1000 and no more pain and was enjoying riding again. I was missing the performance of the GSXR. I began to search for a solution to the pain. I found it in a LSL super bike handlebar conversion. The result was GSXS style seating position.
Following that I spent my time riding the old GSXR and found the GSXS gathering dust. A buddy had been after me to sell him the GSXS. Fast foreward to three weeks ago I found a blowout sale on a '17 GSXR1000 that had been in the showroom for 16 months. A couple of calls and GSXS was gone and I was on my across the state to pick up a new bike!
On the way home I ordered a ABM super bike conversion kit and a stock GSXS fatbar. The new bike is now as comfy as the GSXS. Last week we derestricted the ECU and set up a Quickshifter. This super smooth bike is a screaming monster revving to 14,400 rpm
So.. The The trusty '07 GSXR is once again resting in the garage. I feel the same as you about this old bike, Its a keeper!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2583.jpg (240.8 KB, 56 views)
dekker, mike d and moleeye like this.

Last edited by Old racer; 12-18-2018 at 09:57 PM.

post #4 of 29 Old 12-19-2018, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
They were a fantastic bike I had an Orange one, made me smile every one of the 40,000 miles I rode it. Ended up trashed when a car rear ended me as I was turning into a local biker cafe.

4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul.

1982 Honda CB750 BOL D'OR
2017 Kawasaki GTR 1400
2017 Suzuki GSX S1000
post #5 of 29 Old 12-19-2018, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Nice GSXR Racer! The problem is, today our old bikes aren't even worth the cost of the upgrades we invested in them!
post #6 of 29 Old 12-19-2018, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
my pushbike is pretty much forgotten
johnni nissen and oldjackbob like this.

mike

video link
post #7 of 29 Old 12-19-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey Quatro

Not sure what you mean, the video link doesn’t show much
post #8 of 29 Old 12-19-2018, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
A friend at work has one like yours that he bought new, 1500 miles and still on the stock tires. Those miles were put on the first 2 years, none really since. It sits in the garage attracting dust, I don’t think he even cranks it anymore. Sad, it would take some money to get it roadworthy again. 100% completely stock too.

Slow is fast
post #9 of 29 Old 12-19-2018, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido1 View Post
Hey Quatro

Not sure what you mean, the video link doesn’t show much
pushbike is a bike that you pedal with your legs, round and round, guess it is just an English word u Americans don't know, can't adam and eve it sometimes, but I also have my old XJR1300 in the corner of my garage, uncomfortable, not forgotten
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.JPG (91.0 KB, 43 views)

mike

video link

Last edited by quatro; 12-19-2018 at 06:31 PM.
post #10 of 29 Old 12-19-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Wow Quatro! As soon as I opened your photo of the XJR, a smile came to my face! That's an old school Superbike, must have "been" a blast to ride! That's when men were men - no traction control, no ride modes, no fairing ... just gas it and hang on.

Reminds me of my 1979 Kawasaki tricked out Z-900, fully built Cosworth 1027cc motor (the A.M.A. max limit), Lectron carbs, Dymag wheels, braced frame, Basani pipe, etc - it was "fully built" for it's day (135 rw hp!). I won the 1980 AFM Western Championship on it, then raced it in A.M.A Superbike 1981-1983, on the same track/races with Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, Freddy Spenser, Wes Cooley, etc. (I know their names 'cause I always saw them on the back of their leathers as they lapped me!) I raced in a the early '80's, a great era in A.M.A. Superbike. Today, a stock 600 Sportbike would blow the doors off any of the bikes mentioned above.

I bet a majority of GSXS owners here have similar stories, as nowadays we are looking for a "comfortable" sport bike. I'm liking the tone of this thread, "the forgotten bike in the corner of the garage"!

Last edited by Rapido1; 03-18-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page