• 1 Post By lumberjack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Extended Warranty

This is my first Suzuki. Iíve a 2018 GSX S1000F that I put about 9000 miles a year on.
Iím getting close to 1 yr warranty running out. Is their a reason to purchase an extended warranty?
Thanks for advice....
Guido
post #2 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 21 months in and 16k miles and no problems except my gear position sensor has crapped the bed which I'm replacing myself this weekend, part was 100$ u.s. so kinda depends on the cost and your willingness to do your own repairs
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
There aren't any 'known' weaknesses in the design or parts of this particular machine and if you've already racked up 9000 trouble free miles, then I'd roll the dice and skip on the extended warranty. But that's me. If you are not mechanically inclined and tend to lose sleep worrying about such things, then perhaps you are better off getting it.

For what it is worth, Yamaha-Honda-Suzuki-Kawasaki (Y-H-S-K) are the top four bikes in reliability. That doesn't mean they are perfect, it just means you are less likely to have a problem with these motorcycles when compared to others. If you had a BMW and were asking this question, I would say "buy the extended warranty" because history and experience says you should on THAT brand machine. I'm not bashing BMW either; their bikes just (statistically) have more issues than Y-H-S-K machines.

Be aware, you do NOT have to buy the "Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP)" from your dealer. You can buy it from any Suzuki dealer or Suzuki directly. And it can pay to shop around. Not sure what your dealer is asking for a 36 month extension but this place is offering it for $436 - Suzuki Extended Protection...

Keep in mind that the SEP is NOT actually a warranty through the Suzuki corporation. It is via a third party, despite looking and sounding like it is a 'Suzuki' warranty. The company that underwrites this warranty program is called Cornerstone United. Who cares? Well...you do if you file a claim and they don't want to honor it. Suzuki dealer can say its a warranty issue and submit the paperwork for the claim but if Cornerstone United doesn't agree, then you are S.O.L. Read more on this potential nightmare here: https://www.gixxer.com/forums/33-gen...ull-story.html

post #4 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks.

Iíve owned 4 HDs & 1 BMW RT - plus all the other rice bikes - and never had a lick of problem with any.
I usually put 18000 mikes a year on my HDs & RT.

Maybe Iím lucky, plus Iím OCD & took good care of my bikes.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Not knowing you or your situation, I'll offer up the reasons why I chose to purchase the extended warranty.

1. I've entered a life stage where I have less time to fix a broken bike.
2. If I can't be riding, I'd rather spend my time doing something other than fixing a broken bike.
3. I do a few long distance trips each year and the extended warranty has me covered no matter where I am, and has some nice reimbursement features.
4. I got a smokin' deal on the GSXS and had money to spare, so I decided to invest in peace-of-mind (and leisure).
5. I spent years wrenching on my bikes, particularly at the track. I decided to retire from both and to spend more time with family and pursuing new interests.

Having said that, I bought a Suzuki for its reliability. Some folks in my circle will say I wasted my money, and there's a part of me that expects to never have to use the extended warranty. I'll find out for sure in 6 years.

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
never bought warranty on a bike..knowing i would keep this one got the 5 year plan....hope i never use it ..probably wont need it...im with lost peace of mind,,planning to do more mile then i have in years so why the hxll not its cheep enough
oldjackbob likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost View Post
I decided to retire from both and to spend more time with family and pursuing new interests.
this is a short term condition, after a few years you will be back in the the garage, been there done it

mike

video link
post #8 of 9 Old 01-13-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido1102$ View Post
This is my first Suzuki. Iíve a 2018 GSX S1000F that I put about 9000 miles a year on.
Iím getting close to 1 yr warranty running out. Is their a reason to purchase an extended warranty?
Thanks for advice....
Guido
Really the only reason to get the extended warranty is peace of mind. These bikes are built to last and run hard but if getting the warranty makes you feel better, get it.How much does it cost and what does it cover ?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
had mine 3 years in march only done about 13000 miles , the only prob i had was tc switch sticking which the dealer did straight, but dont start me on bmw bikes as a few mates of mine have had loads of small things go wrong with there bikes all the time , seem to be always in the garage lol
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page