2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-29-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSXS Decat query

Hello fellow Gixxesarians. first post here proud owner of a BLUE 2016 naked thou.
As most of you probably am quite itchy to unveil some more noise. my bike is all stock from a mechanical pov, and i have been eyeballing a decat pipe for some noise.
i don't track day, but do some spirited riding every now and again.
My debate is to flash/tune ECU with decat, or can it wait for some time? I live on an island with no proper performance experts but i can get a decat and fit for now.
on the facebook group, i heard different things. Some decatted without flashing and say its running fine with no need to do so, others have flashed and happy with it.
Will there be any DAMAGE done if i decat without flash/remap for now - or say for another year or so daily riding? or is a decat an absolute must?
not after power/performance gains by the way.
feedback welcome and appreciated.
thanks
post #2 of 16 Old 01-29-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
hello,
For me decat without ecu remap. No problem, i thing she has higher power in peak like supersport. After 8k RPM. No jerking or loss power for everyday riding.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-29-2019, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I think it's mostly occasional idle and low end issues (hiccups or uneven idling) and sound pops from the pair valves if you just straight decat... I don't believe it should harm the engine at all, as it's just breathing out a little better.

Now if you went the opposite, and changed fueling and deleted the PAIR, but kept the cat, then you'd damage the cat.... But you're ditching it anyways 😄

post #4 of 16 Old 01-29-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I love overrun pops. I can hear them slightly on the stock setup but quite excited to have them back as my previous bikes
post #5 of 16 Old 01-29-2019, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
The bike runs lean at the low end as stock but much richer at the top end, by decatting it will run leaner still but as this as this not under high stress (low throttle) it shouldn't cause any problems.

Also the bike is closed loop, (Lambda sensor) at cruise and low throttle so will run the same AFR regardless of whether you decat or not.

However you won't experience the performance increases available from the decat without a flash.

Even though you live on an Island (where?) there are plenty of mail in ECU remaps available.

You will here a lot more of the overrun pops with the decat
post #6 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
think which island is important here, little desert island, you'll be fine, somewhere like Isle Of Man, get it sorted, you'll want all the ponies you can get on the mountains

and welcome

mike

video link

Last edited by quatro; 01-30-2019 at 02:39 AM.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys. I live in the channel islands (Guernsey) we only have one performance shop who has never heard of woolich. Speed limit here is 35 mph so i mainly use 3 gears on my daily runs i do however often go to France to open in it up a bit not so much the UK.
I know the bike is lean, and i know the o2 sensor will allow some adjustment but not sure it will stretch to compensate for the cat removal. I just dont want to have burnt valves by 20k.
Am not looking for performance gains as is plenty powerful for me, am purely after sound unlock.
I know there are mail flashes but i heard for optimum needs to be dyno'd regardless.
Guess will be decatting for now and flash later on when i get to the UK?
oldjackbob likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 03:52 AM

Garage
I live on an Island too (and I've visted Guernsey many many times)

So many bikes have been decatted and then dynoed and flashed that many places have enough experience get the flash 99% correct if the know the spec of your bike.

Alternatively do the decat and but the gear to flash it yourself with the autotune, I decatted then built my own exhausts and tuned it all using Woolich Autotune, just used the dyno (1200km round trip to measure the performance)

However it would be difficult to do much WOT tuning on the GSXS1000 on Guernsey
post #9 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
True that. Could hooligan it up to 50 mph but only briefly. Surprisingly the amount of super sports and power bikes over here is amazing. Am gonna look into diy Woolich kit but am not expert in tuning bikes at all. Wonder if they could provide a flash with the kit, so i can plug play and just install it. I read a few boxes have to be ticked such as anti stall in first, id also like the gear indicator to function etc
post #10 of 16 Old 01-30-2019, 06:50 AM

Garage
Don't know where you read most of that stuff but most of it is wrong.

Woolich just supply the software and harnesses but no actual maps or flashes, that is up to 3rd party tuners.

There is a map share feature on their website where individuals can share maps, but obviously not many companies share their hard work for free on a website. I have put my flash on there but its designed for my exhaust systems not just decats

As far as boxes being ticked is concerned:
There is no tick box for anti-stall, the ant-stall/low rpm. assist is caused by having very retarded ignition at low rpm in Neutral or when the clutch lever is in. As soon as the clutch is let out and the bike.is in gear another map takes over and advances the ignition which increases the rpm.

There are 4 ignition maps: Neutral.or clutch in, 1&2, 3 and 4-6.
Gears 1&2 have quite retarded ignition below 40% and 5000rpm to limit power and response
Gear 3 is the same but to a lesser extent
Gears 4-6 give full power

Its usual to set all ignition tables to the same (unify) and this removes the restrictions but also removes the anti-stall. You can manually adjust the individual maps but the very retarded ignition in neutral is one of the reasons for a bad idle with free flow exhausts.

There is.no way to stop your gear indicator from working through Woolich software, i think your confused about the TRE which is a bodge to remove the ignition restrictions by telling the bike its in 5th all the time

Hope this was useful
oldjackbob likes this.

Last edited by PhuketPaul; 01-30-2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling as written on my phone without my glasses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page