4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-30-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Considering Purchasing

hello all. Signed on to inquire about what to look for before purchasing a new F model. I've ridden one before and liked it. I got serious about a Ducc SS and liked the torque but not the price. So I am still kicking tires. I am thinking about trading my old 1200 bandit.

1. Snatchy throttle. Is this a persistent issue with newer 2018 models or has it been ironed out? Frankly the '16 model wasn't that bad but the I've ridden some bikes like Yammie FZ-09 that would make it a deal breaker. I read that the primary issue was TPS adjustment. I'd appreciate an update on this subject as it pertains to '18 models, I'd hate to get stuck with one I couldn't fix... Thanks.

2. Saddlebags. My big HB Jrs won't fit. I've seen some Givis and HB Cbows. Is there a consensus? I have the old canvas bags from the Bandit but would prefer Givi 601 but they appear "sold out".

3, Tankbag. I don't remember if if tank is steel for my magnetic tank bag.

4. Mirrors. I'd prefer bar ends. Any recommendations?

5. Tires. I read here that 55 series tires are better turn in but didn't get the right size.

6. Shock. I read it's not the best but is OK with the right adjustment ?

7. Any info for throttle lock and heated grips?

so this is a lot of info. Appreciate any advice. I would assume that most here would recommend purchase?

Last edited by LowRyter; 01-30-2019 at 10:54 PM.
post #2 of 18 Old 01-30-2019, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
hello all. Signed on to inquire about what to look for before purchasing a new F model. I've ridden one before and liked it. I got serious about a Ducc SS and liked the torque but not the price. So I am still kicking tires. I am thinking about trading my old 1200 bandit.

1. Snatchy throttle. Is this a persistent issue with newer 2018 models or has it been ironed out? Frankly the '16 model wasn't that bad but the I've ridden some bikes like Yammie FZ-09 that would make it a deal breaker. I read that the primary issue was TPS adjustment. I'd appreciate an update on this subject as it pertains to '18 models, I'd hate to get stuck with one I couldn't fix... Thanks.
2018 seem to be generally better but some still have an issue with the snatchy throttle - this can be improved hugely by adjusting the TPS, 2018 models are adjusted differently to earlier versions but can still be done, see link to TPS adjustment with video here

Quote:
2. Saddlebags. My big HB Jrs won't fit. I've seen some Givis and HB Cbows. Is there a consensus? I have the old canvas bags from the Bandit but would prefer Givi 601 but they appear "sold out".
Sorry, no idea

Quote:
Yes it is a steel tank and I've used magnetic tank bags with no problem

Quote:
I have CRG arrow bar ends, not cheap but very good view, very stable

Quote:
5. Tires. I read here that 55 series tires are better turn in but didn't get the right size.
Bike comes with 190/50 as stock, but you can use 190/55 or 200/55 both give quicker turn in due to the more pointed profile but bear in mind that profile shapes differ between manufacturers and one company's 50 may be as pointed as another's 55

Quote:
Its not the best - setting the sag correctly helps but the damping is far from good

Quote:
Heated grips - what are they its 42C here today

so this is a lot of info. Appreciate any advice. I would assume that most here would recommend purchase?[/QUOTE]

Hope this helps a bit and welcome to the forum
post #3 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I use throttlemeister for throttle lock, I don't use it often, but when I do I appreciate it.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
they are cheap, buy one

mike

video link
post #5 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Get one mate. Great bikes, great value for money. Aftermarket is flooded with parts for them, luggage is a bit pricey as for all newer bikes. Snatchy throttle isnt any worse than Yams and the likes, sorted 90% by adjusting TPS and or a flash.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Later bikes don't suffer as badly with the throttle issues, but as said by others setting the TPS up and adjusting your cables correctly makes it near perfect, a flash to set the bike up and eliminate closed throttle fuel cut will also help. It's not really bad but can be improved.

I use "Oxford Lifetime" throw over panniers without any problem.

Magnetic tank bag will work, GIVI also make a tank ring to adapt for use with their "Tanklock" products

I use Puig bar end mirrors, supplied as a complete kit. Work very well.

As Paul said, plenty of options, 55 profile is certainly much better, the more sport orientated the tyre the steeper the profile, especially on Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop.

I'd recommend replacement be factored in at some point, IMO the stock shock is junk and when pushed hard is useless.

2 or 3 options on throttle lock, however you'll rule it out if you fit bar end mirrors. Heated grips, any standard heated grip will work.

Having owned some 68 bikes over the last 47 years of riding I've had the pleasure of riding some very nice bikes but also a few dogs, the GSXS is a great fun bike to own and ride once it's set up properly and tweaked a bit here and there. I'll be keeping her in my collection when I retire her from everyday use.
For the purchase price you get a pretty good bike with a fantastic engine, one of the best IMO, for a reasonable investment in aftermarket additions and a reflash of the ECU you'll have a brilliant bike that will be equal or better than a lot of bikes costing nearly twice as much to purchase.

Lots of Great help and advice on PhuketPaul's GSX Info website.

4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul.

1982 Honda CB750 BOL D'OR
2017 Kawasaki GTR 1400
2017 Suzuki GSX S1000

Last edited by Robbieben; 01-31-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
For the casual rider, it's one of the best bikes right out of the box. Fix the throttle if it has an issue, and you're good to go.

Of course, you can always find a reason to upgrade if you have the cash!
post #8 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Garage
My 2016 doesn't suffer from throttle snatch and the severity seems quite random. I have the Suzuki (SW-Motech) lock ring tank bag and love it. I went with CNC Racing bar-ends and they are great, work with the stock bar-ends and need no additional mounting hardware.For throttle lock I use a NEP CC4 which requires trimming the stock grip or an aftermarket grip that doesn't go over the inner ring. It's cheap and works. I had a Kaoko but it was a PITA so I switched to the NEP.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The Givi ST601's are being replaced (or have been replaced) by the ST604's. Essentially the same case, and you might have luck finding those in stock somewhere.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-31-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Snatchy throttle is not an issue with the 2018 models, but the throttle may be a bit too "sensitive" for some riders (like me). I installed a Throttle Tamer from G2 Ergonomics which was a real game changer...throttle is spot-on perfect now (I use my bike for commuting and really appreciate a well-behaved throttle).
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page