14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-02-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Overfilled the oil

Well, not sure how I did it (I really thought I was paying attention) but while changing the oil and filter today I overfilled the oil a bit, now I'm wondering if I need to drain some.

With the bike on level ground, the oil level is roughly halfway between the Full mark and the top of the sight glass.

Without knowing the level was that high, I took the bike out for a 12-15 mile ride after changing the oil, seldom reaching much over 50 mph except for one very short run up to maybe 7,000 rpm in 2nd gear. When I got back home I looked under the bike for any leaks, found none. So far so good. Then I pulled the bike up to a level stance as best as I could manage by myself while also trying to look at the oil level in the sight glass, and saw that the level was over the Full mark. There were no bubbles or froth in the oil (fresh Motul 5100 if that matters).

Should I drain some, or not worry about it?
post #2 of 16 Old 02-02-2019, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Mine is like that now, don't care. I've gone easy on her though, only frequently reving to 10k and 130mph. Easy to crack the plug and drain it a bit though. Maybe I'll get motivated tomorrow, it's raining...
post #3 of 16 Old 02-02-2019, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I'd like to imagine that the oil pressure light would pop on if there was too much, the same way it would if there was no pressure... I think with the amount you have at worst, the crank might have a little extra splash with it.

But I'm really not sure. So I'm commenting here too, to make it to find in the future if someone more knowledgeable chimes in with a proper answer for you, since I can see myself doing the same thing.
oldjackbob likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-02-2019, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Just loosen the filter and let some drain out.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS
post #5 of 16 Old 02-02-2019, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you still have an air bubble at the top of the sight glass, you are fine. Ride and forget about it. But if the sight glass is totally full, you need to let some out.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-02-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Frog, I was hoping someone would make some kind of comment along the lines of "as long as you haven't completely filled up the sight window then you're good to go".

And with that said, I'm prolly leaning toward just loosening the drain plug and letting a few ounces out, if only because I'm feeling my OCD starting to flare up a little..
post #7 of 16 Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
Not that I have any technical insight, but I would imagine Suzuki allows for some error and I don't know anyone that actually checks their bike with a level when observing the oil fill window.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-03-2019, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
takes tiny amount of oil to go from full iine to top of glass....dont believe a danger zone would happen or be designed in that small amount of space.....your fine......but all that matters is what puts you at ease......should be able to losen nut till it starts dripping ...it will be better then watching paint dry
oldjackbob likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-03-2019, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just get an industrial syringe with a plastic tube, dip it down the the oil dipstick hole and siphon 50ml at a time until the level is between max and min when running temp. Too much oil cant be that good for your engine
Barstewardsquad likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-03-2019, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
<<snipped>>

With the bike on level ground, the oil level is roughly halfway between the Full mark and the top of the sight glass.
<<snipped>>
Should I drain some, or not worry about it?
Hey Young Fella OJB,
Was that on the side stand? The oil is correctly seen when the bike is dead vertical.

Your experience is less severe than my car oil change some 25 years ago.
Changed the oil and filter, with the car on the road, one wheel on the kerb, other on the road.
I had 4 litres of Castrol GTX2 oil and it needed close to that amount.

Filled it and checked frequently, and it need a little bit more. So it got another 4 litre bottle and repeated the little dose.
Nothing happened. Perhaps it's the angle, but the road side was up about 100 mm on blocks under the front wheel, so tip some in some.
Pull out the dip strick again, still no change.
Start the car for a few minutes, and check, still no change. WTF ???
Tip a lot more in, no rise on the dipstick.

7 litres in by now, and then the penny dropped. Why was the on the stick oil reddish.brown ?
You Dickhead Rob, had all the time been pulling out and checking the auto transmission dipstick !!!!
The ran fine with 7 litres of oil in a 4 litre sump for several minutes with me revving it on and off, and suffered no ill's then or after.draining it again.

You'll be fine as the others said.

Rob.
Kassu, mike d and oldjackbob like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page