5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-26-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Start issue. Should i be worried?

My 2016 stock G thou with 3k which i owned for 6months and used daily, normally starts on the button at half a starter spin. Almost immediately.
2 separate occasions now, i got to start the bike and it spins (quickly) maybe 3, 4 times and starts. Cant recreate it, battery is spot on and no other faults, rides normally. I am worried this could be a precursor to something that is about to show / fail. Any input appreciated. Thanks.
post #2 of 31 Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
First thought is battery. If it's the original, might be on the way out.
post #3 of 31 Old 02-26-2019, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
What are the temperatures like where you live? Are you still waiting for the fuel pump to prime before you hit the switch?

2016 GSXS1000FAL6

post #4 of 31 Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Temps good, dry sunny 12 Celsius. Happened after a ride, short break around 7-10 mins prior to restart. Always wait for system check and fuel prime.
post #5 of 31 Old 02-26-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
With regards to battery, certainly doesn't act like a **** one. The cranks are quite strong its not bogging down flickering or any of the other usual signs
post #6 of 31 Old 02-26-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSENTERNCC1701E View Post
What are the temperatures like where you live? Are you still waiting for the fuel pump to prime before you hit the switch?
This was my thought too. Mine did the same after not being run for a day and in 10°C. Still started in under half a second, compared to my brother's fz10, same circumstances that took about a second and a half on the starter...
post #7 of 31 Old 02-26-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm, my initial leaning would be spark plugs, but that's a lot of work just to check without a stronger indication.

But, here's my thinking. 2006 with only 3k miles sounds it spent a lot of its life sitting around, which if not properly prepped for storage is not great on spark plugs. Condensation from atmospheric moisture and left over water vapor from combustion can corrode spark plugs over time. Also the spark plugs can be damaged by freeze thaw cycles due to climate if there's water vapor. If the bike only sat for a short time before restart, it would have still been relatively hot. Electrical resistance increases with temperature, especially through insulative materials, which metallic oxides usually are. If the spark is losing amperage through resistance in the electrode surfaces, it may not be energetic enough to ignite until a couple cycles. Now, when I said the engine was relatively hot, that depends on what you're looking at, in terms of ignition enthalpy, that's a little cold; but for electrical resistance, that's still pretty hot. So the ignition energy threshold, what the spark has to give it, is higher than when running, but each no-start cycle increases the cylinder enthalpy through the spark heating the plug and the compression heating piston and cylinder, until the spark can push the reaction over that edge. On a cold start, resistance in the spark plugs is lower, and so the spark is more energetic, quick start.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #8 of 31 Old 02-26-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Right 🙂
post #9 of 31 Old 02-26-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
I doubts its plugs but who the hxll am i....
post #10 of 31 Old 02-26-2019, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemer View Post
With regards to battery, certainly doesn't act like a **** one. The cranks are quite strong its not bogging down flickering or any of the other usual signs
Just throwing this out there as a possibility

There was another thread where OP had a similar problem on start up, checking with a volt meter the battery showed strong 13+ volts, but later found the amperage (cranking power) was slightly down, just enough to cause a problem. As I said , if you are running the original battery, 3 years is a long time. I would certainly try a new battery or possibly jumper cables to eliminate the battery as the cause.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page