• 1 Post By GSXDude

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-26-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Going Green, but not Kawi Green...

It started with poor gas mileage on my SUV, so I began looking at Tesla as a “green” option over the holidays.

Then suddenly it hit me to look at electric motorcycles as well, and the timing couldn’t be better with 3 new releases this year by Harley, Zero, and Lightning.

Reduced maintenance, instant power, and no clutch were some of the benefits that jumped out at me. Zero’s new launch looks good...and Lightning has yet to reveal their $13K Strike motorcycle.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/

I know there is a price premium and many reasons to stay with the ICE-cycles. I do very short trips (less than 50 miles), so the limited distance before a recharge is not an issue for me.

Anyone else out there looking to go green in the future?
post #2 of 9 Old 02-26-2019, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXDude View Post
It started with poor gas mileage on my SUV, so I began looking at Tesla as a “green” option over the holidays.

Then suddenly it hit me to look at electric motorcycles as well, and the timing couldn’t be better with 3 new releases this year by Harley, Zero, and Lightning.

Reduced maintenance, instant power, and no clutch were some of the benefits that jumped out at me. Zero’s new launch looks good...and Lightning has yet to reveal their $13K Strike motorcycle.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/

I know there is a price premium and many reasons to stay with the ICE-cycles. I do very short trips (less than 50 miles), so the limited distance before a recharge is not an issue for me.

Anyone else out there looking to go green in the future?
I've looked at the Zero's (and the Harley's and the Lightnings) and I think Zero is probably the leader right now for anything I might want to (or could) justify price wise (if your rich, that doesn't matter and go buy a Lightning). I've also looked at some of the Chinese e-groms that are pretty cheap and look really fun.

In the end though, I just haven't found a price point / performance that puts e-motorcycles in anything other than the novelty or cost prohibitive category.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-27-2019, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
<<snipped>>

In the end though, I just haven't found a price point / performance that puts e-motorcycles in anything other than the novelty or cost prohibitive category.
Rent a Lime E Scooter ?

Rob.
mike d likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-27-2019, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Nope. Nope nope nope and nope.**** NO.
LEAVEITSTOCK and oldjackbob like this.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-27-2019, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
It is the future for sure , there isn't endless amounts of oil in the ground. But the range is not good enough for me and the sound of well nothing doesn't appeal to me. No shifting forget it, I love the sound of my bike on a downshift.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-27-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I agree that the high price (along with the decrease in distance) will deter many from switching.
mike d likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-27-2019, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
I'd love to put one in my garage alongside my current bikes. It'd be my commuter, however, with a round trip of around a hundred miles including some stop and go traffic and no place to recharge at work, I'm afraid that I'm still not in range for one of those, so my paid for FJR will continue to handle that job.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #8 of 9 Old 02-27-2019, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I've considered it, with a commute of ~18 miles round-trip it'd work fine. But I just don't know about the cost for enjoyment at the moment
post #9 of 9 Old 02-27-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
Take a ride on them. I rode the Livewire pre-production unit at the promo event and it was a hoot. Lots of immediate torque, and felt super tiny. Almost perfect for a commuter. That said, the production Livewire is way too much $$$.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page