Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
post #2 of 28 Old 03-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Garage
I've been trying to warm up to the look of the Katana, but I still haven't been able too. The front just looks like a jumble of angular pieces with no real unifying theme.
The article quoted the designer (shown below), and I think him needing to "respect the compromise" resulted in execution that just doesn't cut it (for me anyway). I'll take either version of the GSX-S anyday.

Quote:
“I instinctively traced the lines of the upper part of the tank and side saber cut,” Frascoli reveals. “The most difficult part was certainly the central part because it was necessary to respect the compromise between the columns of the filter case to have a more streamlined design.”
Gnomie and Slower and Slower like this.
post #3 of 28 Old 03-24-2019, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
suzuki has another naked to chose from,,,good for them.....looks like a katana but super cool and rips like a gsxs....how can you go wrong....atleast as a retro it kicks ass...others retros are lame...again suzuki rules the metric world

post #4 of 28 Old 03-24-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
To me it is like Suzuki is really "reaching for it" ... taking advantage of the existing GSXS platform to launch "a new bike" model, but all us 'ol timers who even remember and can relate to the original Katana would probably opt for the GSXS over this. And do younger buyers even know what the Katana was? Will be interesting to see how it sells.

According to the Reviewer, it has smooth throttle response, great brakes and great suspension, but he said on the Japanese roads they rode, they never got out of 3rd gear! Not a very in-depth test!

I wonder if the 2020 Katana ECU is even more fine tuned for throttle response than the GSXS or if the rear shock and front suspension are different than the GSXS, but I doubt it. It does however have a new "throttle tamer" type throttle tube. Those that still have "jerky" throttle issues could soon order this OEM part for an easy swap.

Over-all, and I remember well when the original Katana first showed up, and this new version doesn't do anything for me.
mike d likes this.
post #5 of 28 Old 03-25-2019, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I've been trying to warm up to the look of the Katana, but I still haven't been able too. The front just looks like a jumble of angular pieces with no real unifying theme.
The article quoted the designer (shown below), and I think him needing to "respect the compromise" resulted in execution that just doesn't cut it (for me anyway). I'll take either version of the GSX-S anyday.
Pretty much sums up how I feel.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #6 of 28 Old 03-25-2019, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
I read a another review online from the same World Release Week, and that reviewer said while it was better than the 2016 GSX-S1K, it still had trouble with fueling under 45KPH,30 MPH.

The riding position looks awfully dead straight upwards, just like the old BMW tourer position. The bars on the GSX-Cortana appear to have a more vertical rise than the GSX-S (to clear the smaller 16L but higher tank).
They should have taken some spies to the other Jap Factories to see how to make a modern replica. Kawa got it dead right with the Z900RS, and Honda had the CB1100EX/RS as a copy and a modern version as the Neo Cafe CB1000R.
Suzuki has just bombed out, when it could have been easily made a more appealing design if they had copied the original bike, with drop bars included.

The black to me is the more appealing colour of the two, as the Silver Cortana just embarrasses itself as an all wrong clone.
Suzuki Aust. say that they have online sales (by pre order deposit) of 60% of the first shipment of 60 bikes, that arrive in September and are throwing in a Cortana Shoei Helmet that they value at $Au1000.
Come Christmas, there will be discounts offered to move the other 40%. I reckon that a lot of those 36 pre ordered bikes would be reserved Dealer Demo's to make it sound a good response.

Rob.
mike d likes this.
post #7 of 28 Old 03-25-2019, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
The Katana is a GSX-S1000 more or less, of course it's going to be great.

Aesthetics are subjective, i personally dislike the blocky look of the 80's. I also rock the F model GSX-S and it appeals more to me than the naked.
I don't think Japan make a good looking naked bike. I mean, they would be great if other things didn't exist like MV Augusta Brutale, Ducati Monsters etc.
KTM are on crack, weird angular shapes and terrible colour schemes. Orange... really...

The issue is price. Here in Australia i bought the GSX-S1000F for $15,490 ride away. That's the Suzuki national rrp for 2018 run out models and 2019 pre orders.
I believe the Katana is $18,990. Other than styling and a colour display, where is the $3,500 going?

Same engine, brakes, suspension, ABS, traction control, exhaust more or less. It makes the GSX-S appear to be an even better buy in my opinion.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #8 of 28 Old 03-25-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I personally don't like the look of it and from what I read it has a small fuel tank. But hey I like that Suzuki is trying new bikes.
post #9 of 28 Old 03-25-2019, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido1 View Post
To me it is like Suzuki is really "reaching for it" ... taking advantage of the existing GSXS platform to launch "a new bike" model, but all us 'ol timers who even remember and can relate to the original Katana would probably opt for the GSXS over this. And do younger buyers even know what the Katana was? Will be interesting to see how it sells.

According to the Reviewer, it has smooth throttle response, great brakes and great suspension, but he said on the Japanese roads they rode, they never got out of 3rd gear! Not a very in-depth test!

I wonder if the 2020 Katana ECU is even more fine tuned for throttle response than the GSXS or if the rear shock and front suspension are different than the GSXS, but I doubt it. It does however have a new "throttle tamer" type throttle tube. Those that still have "jerky" throttle issues could soon order this OEM part for an easy swap.

Over-all, and I remember well when the original Katana first showed up, and this new version doesn't do anything for me.
Yep they got the old look the best they could but really this bike should have been brought out 10 years ago-- now make a new katana 600 that looks like the old one 1988-- with modern wheels brakes etc and that old school engine sell it for 7k they would sell out-- Suzuki wanna hire me?? us old guys miss those motorcyles-now make a touring bike like an fjr with the tl 1000 engine !!
post #10 of 28 Old 03-27-2019, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I had a look at one at the loacal Suzuki dealer and I was disappointed.
Buy just putting clip on style bars on this thing it would have looked a lot better.
The bars don't have to be low you can have clip on's that sit above the triple tree and it would have looked better.
But Suzuki must be thinking that most of these bike will be purchased by old farts that can't handle a slight lean forward plus
I don't like that style of rear mud guard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page