12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 04-03-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSX 1000 S / Yamaha MT 09

In the market to purchase a new bike, I am torn between GSX 1000s and MT 09. The local clue voted for MT 09. I am yet to test ride both the bikes.

something tell me gsx 1000s is the bike for me on the other hand MT 09 comes with quick shift and three ride modes.

Can some one tell me why should i go with the GSX 1000 S
post #2 of 30 Old 04-03-2019, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Coz u can change up clutchless lightning quick on the Suzuki any way , and it has the correct number of cylinders 😉
jcahanes likes this.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-03-2019, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashbn View Post
In the market to purchase a new bike, I am torn between GSX 1000s and MT 09. The local clue voted for MT 09. I am yet to test ride both the bikes.

something tell me gsx 1000s is the bike for me on the other hand MT 09 comes with quick shift and three ride modes.

Can some one tell me why should i go with the GSX 1000 S
Do the test rides, you will know

Yamaha built a great engine and put it into an average chassis, loads of fun and character.

Suzuki built a great motorcycle.

If they were similar price, the Suzuki is more bang for your buck.

Rider modes are overrated. Most people find one that works for the street and leave it there.

Best of all, there is no wrong choice here.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.

post #4 of 30 Old 04-03-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I had an FZ-09 for 3 years and I know the bike very well. The strong suit is the motor, however not as smooth as the GXSF I now own. The suspension is inadequate for the frame and motor. I am over 6ft tall and the FZ always felt too small for my frame. It has a very snatchy throttle, or at least my 2015 did. You will need a reflash or at least a G2 throttle tamer to help a bit. The GXS is more grounded in the handling department even though it is a bit heavier. The GXS is a more refined machine and in my mind there is no comparison between the two. I don't regret for a minute selling the FZ and moving up to the Suzuki. Also the throttle spring was so strong on mine I need a wrist rest to ride it. That was one of the worst features of the bike. Spend the extra $ for the GXS. It's worth it.
LEAVEITSTOCK and Red 1000 like this.
post #5 of 30 Old 04-03-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
I too had an FZ-09 prior to my GSXS. The FZ had some of the same inherent problems out of the box .. snatchy throttle, way too much engine braking and poor suspension. I flashed the ECU and ran full aftermarket exhaust on both bikes to correct the engine woes, and also did suspension upgrades.

The Suzuki is more refined, better build quality. I would say the FZ is more fun to drive around town and do easy wheelies, and the cross-plane 3 cylinder motor has a great sound and lots of torque. Flat out the GSXS will scare the sht out of you once you hit 7,000 rpm to redline, the in-line 4 cylinder K5 based motor is a beast! Will blow the doors off the FZ in a drag race.

I like the gear ratios better on the FZ, the GSXS's are too close. I would say trying to put it into perspective, the FZ is more a fun hooligan toy, the GSXS a more solid, refined serious bad boy.

I swapped bikes with the friend that bought the FZ from me on a recent ride, and the FZ felt smaller and much slower. I couldn't wait to get my GSXS back. I do feel the GSXS was a definite upgrade from the FZ-09.

You would love either, I think it comes down to which one you are more drawn to personally.
jcahanes likes this.

Last edited by Rapido1; 07-05-2019 at 08:39 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
The FZ/MT 09 is a straight up hooligans bike and I love it for that reason. One of the guys I ride with has one and we trade from time to time. That thing LOVES to get the front end up under hard acceleration and it can be kind of scary. In terms of acceleration they're very comparable.

I find the riding position and suspension better on the GSXS. The FZ/MT feels like riding a dirtbike sometimes. Some people have some issues with throttle in the corners but it feels sooooo good the way the GSXS leans into them.

You couldn't go wrong going either way.
Delboy777 likes this.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-03-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Sorry to hyjack this thread, Joe i have emailed you and PMd you, thanks, Del

"I arrive. I see... is possible. I go fast. I WIN!" - Valentino Rossi
post #8 of 30 Old 04-03-2019, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
JC has a good comparison, when I swapped my GSXS to hop on the FZ, it did kinda feel like a "dirt bike" in that the riding position feels more upright, and the front end feels much taller. The FZ-09 feels overall taller (it is taller), the GSXS more solid,compact and heavier, more planted on the road.

Again, the main thing is which "look" and style you personally like. Both are absolutely great bikes with their own attributes. Which one do you feel more drawn to?

I hope the OP will monitor this thread started and let us know which route taken

Last edited by Rapido1; 04-03-2019 at 09:43 PM.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-04-2019, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido1 View Post
I too had an FZ-09 prior to my GSXS. The FZ had some of the same inherent problems out of the box .. snatchy throttle, way too much engine braking and poor suspension. I flashed the ECU and ran full aftermarket exhaust on both bikes to correct the engine woes, and also did suspension upgrades.

The Suzuki is more refined, better build quality. I would say the FZ is more fun to drive around town and do easy wheelies, and the cross-plane 3 cylinder motor has a great sound and lots of torque. Flat out the GSXS will scare the sht out of you once you hit 7,000 rpm to redline, the in-line 4 cylinder K5 based motor is a beast! Will blow the doors off the FZ in a drag race.

I like the gear ratios better on the FZ, the GSXS's are too close. I would say trying to put it into perspective, the FZ is more a fun hooligan toy, the GSXS a more solid, refined serious bad boy.

I swapped bikes with the friend that bought the FZ from me on a recent ride, and the FZ felt smaller and much slower. I couldn't wait to get my GSXS back. I do feel the GSXS was a definite upgrade from the FZ-09.

You would love either, I think it comes down to which one you are more drawn to personally.

Thanks for writing a detailed response, I am still going back and forth between the two. I havent test riden the gsx1000s but i like the over all styling, riding posture and the traditional head lamp and tank looks. The mt 09 is looks different and i am not convinced with the newer yamaha looks. I am hardcore yamaha and vale fan but the bike is missing connection... the quick shifter, the riding modes does attract me...

Thanks,
Prashan
post #10 of 30 Old 04-04-2019, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido1 View Post
JC has a good comparison, when I swapped my GSXS to hop on the FZ, it did kinda feel like a "dirt bike" in that the riding position feels more upright, and the front end feels much taller. The FZ-09 feels overall taller (it is taller), the GSXS more solid,compact and heavier, more planted on the road.

Again, the main thing is which "look" and style you personally like. Both are absolutely great bikes with their own attributes. Which one do you feel more drawn to?

I hope the OP will monitor this thread started and let us know which route taken
I am watching the thread qnd listening to everyone, I felt exactly what you said the MT 09 is taller and the riding position in upright. I am 5'4 the bike is bit taller to my taste. The gsxr felt more planted on the road and felt comfortable when I sat down. I am test riding the gsxr 1000 this weekend anf i have put a 200$ deposit as well if I dont like it, I will get a refund. Thank you...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page