23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 05-02-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bike change?

Hello all, new member from South Wales. Currently riding a B King but considering something a bit less bulky so the GSXS is on my list, hopefully going to test one this weekend along with a Honda CB1000r. Tried the MT10 last week and didn't like it, too high riding position and a hard narrow seat felt like a motocross bike. Looking for a comfy all rounder, just wondering if anybody else has done the same change and what their thought/regrets were about this. I have heard all the criticisms about snatchy throttles/fuel injection etc and some moans about suspension. My B king is largely standard suspension but lowered 40mm and spring wound off with a touch more damping and it rides beautifully on our pot holed roads. What is the gearing like, B King is 20mph per 1000rpm- 3000=60, 4000=80 etc.
post #2 of 32 Old 05-02-2019, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
You might ping WhiteRR on this. He's not very active but has a B King and picked up a GSX-S1000F for his wife so he can compare.

Also found this while looking up his username:
https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-...ervations.html

Snatchy throttle is fixable. Start with the free fixes and work your way up till you are happy.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #3 of 32 Old 05-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Gearing is shorter on the GSXS, I think 5K rpm is a little under 80mph (can't check it right now, I'm at work).

post #4 of 32 Old 05-02-2019, 02:29 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I am on my second GSXS F model and find it to be an excellent all round bike for 12-15k miles riding each year. Gearing is quite low, about 15-16mph /1000rpm in top.

I tried, in no particular order, MT07, 09 and 10. Z900 and ZZR1400, triumph speed triple, street twin, tiger 800, Tracer 700 &900, BMW s1000R, SV650x. My favourites were the Tracer 700, ZZR1400 but I spent my hard earned on the GSXS
mike d likes this.

I know nothing and welcome the opportunity to share my knowledge with anyone crazy enough to take it
post #5 of 32 Old 05-02-2019, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I have had both bikes, a B king is hard to beat for a nice comfort / performance ratio.
You will find the gsxs delightfully light feeling compared to the B king.
You will find the gsxs is more abrupt in on/off fueling and probably harsher over potholes.
The biggest weakness I find with the gsxs is the low 6th gear. Gearing commander lists a gsxs speed in 6th @ 4600 rpm as only 65.7 actual mph, whereas my B king geared down -1 +2 is doing 77.2 @ 4600 rpm.

I really like the gsxs except for the poor gearing choices in 1st, 2nd gears ( too high ) and 6th gear ( too low ) for the street.
I'm not sure the comfort level on a gsxs is any better than on the MT 10, I've never been on one..
HTH,
Dan
oldjackbob likes this.

Last edited by moleeye; 05-02-2019 at 06:57 PM.
post #6 of 32 Old 05-02-2019, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
You won’t need to lower the ride height like I’m 5’6” and it’s perfect for me.
Plus you seem to sit in the bike not on top.
post #7 of 32 Old 05-02-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Done a thousand miles on mine now , this snatchy throttle I hear about must a set up issue because mines as smooth as silk .
I would say The throttle is quick action and as it came had a slack cable and the usual play in a standard throttle tube which didn’t help . Fitting a nice alloy throttle tube and softer cam has improved the feel , but I’ve done that to most of my bikes , I hate that feeling of play between a plastic throttle tube and the handlebars . Iam tempted to gear it up a little maybe an 18 front sprocket if I can get one , or a smaller rear , but Iam more interested in open road touring type riding.
I test rode the Honda cb1000r , it was nice but felt a bit bland and soulless compared to the Suzuki , but Honda’s all feel like that to me , I loved the looks of the Suzuki both naked and faired , and it feels like it has a soul , a bit of character . Looks are personal I know but the Honda or the yam didn’t do it for me in the looks department .
mike d and oldjackbob like this.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-02-2019, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
I don' mind the gearing on the GSXS once you accept the idea of higher revs. Mine's a 2016 and has no throttle issues (I'm one of the lucky ones). I can't compare it to a B-King, but just looking at the specs, I think you will really appreciate the weight, power and nimbleness of the GSXS. My biggest complaint (well, not really a complaint at the price point, just "room for improvement"), is the rear shock. It might be fine if you weigh 200 lbs, but it is kinda brutal on my 150lbs meat over abrupt bumps at high speed (roads around here suck!). I'm swapping my rear shock tomorrow (K-Teck razor), then taking the next day to do some long rides with some friends from work and a friend from Germany, so I will be able to talk more authoritatively on the shock replacement effect.

Bottom line... Try it, you'll like it.
frog4aday likes this.
post #9 of 32 Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Test ride booked for tomorrow afternoon
mike d, Simon W and oldjackbob like this.
post #10 of 32 Old 05-03-2019, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I could be mistaken but it feels like my stock rear shock is softening up a bit after 4K miles. I'll try to be mindful of how it feels as the miles continue to pile up.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page