• 2 Post By LEAVEITSTOCK
  • 2 Post By Robbieben

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-05-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What is the best size to run on our bike . I've got road 5s on my other Suzuki rf900 and love them. I heard you can run 200 on the gsxs 1000 and go up to 55. 👍

Last edited by Dylanfz; 05-05-2019 at 10:45 AM.
post #2 of 6 Old 05-07-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Ya know I havenít been riding street as much as dirt so I might be just a ***** but since changing my tire from stock
190/50ZR17

To a Dunlop sportmax (I think thatís the model Iíll have to check a little later) 190/55ZR17

I can get through the corners just as fast but Iím not leaning nearly as much and I canít get rid of my chicken strips, Iím sure Iím just a ***** but I never had chicken strips on my stock tire thinking maybe I need to go back to stock size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 05-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I also run a Dunlop 190/55 and I'm seeing the same thing you're seeing, but I'm not worried about it.

You have chicken strips because the 55-series tire is shaped differently than the original 50-series. You have to lean over farther to scrub off the chicken strips on a 55-series tire. You're still leaning over as far as you were before (on the stock tires) because you say you're cornering just as quickly, which of course requires that you be leaned over just as far.

Personally, I think it's silly and dangerous to worry about chicken strips on a street bike. You're probably not going to be able to scrub off the strips on a 55-series tire on the street.

So my advice is to try to stop worrying about it. There's no need to consider going back to a stock size tire just because you see chicken strips on your current tire.
Triz-man likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
next tire im going to go back to the 50..im thinking 50s like 55s some have higher crown or shape then others ,, most my riding is highway and i can feel its a little harder to hold a straight line at times ....could be in my head ,,,theres plenty of room up there
mike d and Triz-man like this.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
next tire im going to go back to the 50..im thinking 50s like 55s some have higher crown or shape then others ,, most my riding is highway and i can feel its a little harder to hold a straight line at times ....could be in my head ,,,theres plenty of room up there

Air down a tad, I donít have any issues holding my line,

I took a hard ride today in the cold so I was worried about the grip but my tires where very warm and sticky,

I need to air down my front tire as well I think but the size is great if anything I feel like I have more grip in most every situation I just need to learn to lean More also this tire is a Dunlop sport max GP-A and itís great so far I got it used and I run the piss out of the tire, I run this bike like a race bike hahah it is my race bike,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 Old 05-08-2019, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
The 190/55 gives a 22% larger contact patch at standard pressure offering more grip at lean and as the sidewall is slightly taller it flexes a little more at lean keeping more tyre in contact with the road and pushes the sidewall out under the weight of bike and rider moving the edge of the tyre away from the road thus making it harder to get to the edge of the tyre. I tested various sizes on a recent trip to the track and the 190/55 was by far the best tyre size. On track at standard pressure once hot the 190/50 loses edge grip under hard acceleration the 190/55 doesn't. The 200 wide was too wide a tyre and you couldn't use all of the tread before running out of front tyre edge grip. IMHO Pointless to fit if you can't make full use of the part of the tyre that offers the most grip.
IMO the best tyre for our bike for me personally is the 190/55. If you run standard pressures and ride reasonably quickly you'll find you can use all of the available tread when cornering, especially once the tyre is up to temperature.
oldjackbob and BKing111 like this.

4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul.

1982 Honda CB750 BOL D'OR
2017 Kawasaki GTR 1400
2017 Suzuki GSX S1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page