• 1 Post By oldjackbob

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-13-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smell of Rubber Burning

Several times recently I've caught a whiff of burning rubber immediately after pulling the bike into the garage after my ride home from work (I don't ride hard so it isn't my tires). I was getting concerned that maybe I'm slowly burning thru a hose hidden somewhere deep in the chassis innards, and I've had visions of the bike leaving me stranded 150 miles from home on a weekend ride shortly after the 1-year warranty expires.

So today as soon as I pulled into the garage I jumped off the bike and started following my nose to the source of the odor. It's a pretty distinct odor, and it was rather easy to trace it to the immediate vicinity of the muffler. As best I can tell, it's coming from the rubber bushing grommet on the muffler hanger tab behind the right-side foot peg bracket (at least that's the only rubber I see down there that might be getting hot). I can imagine that muffler hanger tab gets blistering hot in stoplight-to-stoplight traffic, and it's prolly just slowly cooking the grommet (it's a rather large grommet). I'm thinking it's gonna need replacing eventually.

So hopefully I can quit worrying about a hose blowing. Man, that burning rubber smell has had me worried.

Has anyone else here smelled burning rubber after a stop-and-go ride in traffic?
post #2 of 10 Old 05-13-2019, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
Several times recently I've caught a whiff of burning rubber immediately after pulling the bike into the garage after my ride home from work (I don't ride hard so it isn't my tires). I was getting concerned that maybe I'm slowly burning thru a hose hidden somewhere deep in the chassis innards, and I've had visions of the bike leaving me stranded 150 miles from home on a weekend ride shortly after the 1-year warranty expires.

So today as soon as I pulled into the garage I jumped off the bike and started following my nose to the source of the odor. It's a pretty distinct odor, and it was rather easy to trace it to the immediate vicinity of the muffler. As best I can tell, it's coming from the rubber bushing grommet on the muffler hanger tab behind the right-side foot peg bracket (at least that's the only rubber I see down there that might be getting hot). I can imagine that muffler hanger tab gets blistering hot in stoplight-to-stoplight traffic, and it's prolly just slowly cooking the grommet (it's a rather large grommet). I'm thinking it's gonna need replacing eventually.

So hopefully I can quit worrying about a hose blowing. Man, that burning rubber smell has had me worried.

Has anyone else here smelled burning rubber after a stop-and-go ride in traffic?

Yeah Iíll smell it some times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldjackbob likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post

No. Thatís not when I can smell burning rubber

Pull my finger

post #4 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Hey OldJackBob, I swear I smell 'burning rubber' at times, too. I decided it was my chain lube dripping on the muffler/collection box on the left side. Don't notice it so much until I pull into the garage after a ride and get off, then I really smell it. I suppose it could be something else, but the bike keeps running fine so whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be important enough to worry about. Or, I'm just swimming in that Egyptian river?
post #5 of 10 Old 05-14-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Frog, that's exactly the same circumstances when I smell mine -- immediately after pulling into the garage and putting the bike on the side stand, the smell is coming up strongly from the right foot peg area. The only thing I can see down there that might be giving off a burning rubber smell is that large grommet mounted in the hanger tab welded to the top of the muffler. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that under certain conditions that tab can get hot enough to make that rubber grommet start to stink.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's smelled it. As long as it's just the grommet I'm not gonna worry about it.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
been smelling like a new bike plastic smell when hot..more of a electronic smell
post #7 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I was looking my bike over, I think it's asphault getting stuck on the muffler getting cooked again and again. I cleaned it off as best as I could before riding today and there was no smell after about 200 miles.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Jcahanes,
I'm thinking you are on the right track. It's crap cooking down on that muffler/collector under the bike. I thought it was chain lube, but asphalt 'smells' more correct. Kind of a rubbery-tar like odor. Just the nature of the beast now that the bike manufacturers have all seemingly gone to the big exhaust 'collector' under the belly of the bikes.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcahanes View Post
I was looking my bike over, I think it's asphault getting stuck on the muffler getting cooked again and again. I cleaned it off as best as I could before riding today and there was no smell after about 200 miles.

In general itís crap getting on the front and rear of the exhaust, when I will go over a tiny bit of dirt on the street and stop I can smell it on the exhaust, or if I run over a bit of cut grass I will smell it, asphalt Iíll smell, it when Iím running the bike hard with the stock tires Iíd smell the rubber flicking onto the muffler under the bike, if itís hot out and Iím in traffic I can smell the rubber grime by getting a bit cooked

oldjackbob and jcahanes like this.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triz-man View Post
In general itís crap getting on the front and rear of the exhaust, when I will go over a tiny bit of dirt on the street and stop I can smell it on the exhaust, or if I run over a bit of cut grass I will smell it, asphalt Iíll smell, it when Iím running the bike hard with the stock tires Iíd smell the rubber flicking onto the muffler under the bike, if itís hot out and Iím in traffic I can smell the rubber grime by getting a bit cooked
Those possibilities never occurred to me. With the muffler being immediately aft of the cat, I guess it gets REALLY hot.
jcahanes likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page