19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 05-14-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Suspension....again...

I am currently running standard suspension on my gsxs1000z ...i was looking to get it set up for my weight etc but after reading alot about the rear shock i am contemplating upgrading it, after reading some posts i realise that when i am riding it i am experiencing the things mentioned "bucking bronco" etc i carry the missus alot too and she bounces around alot...also when i was at speed...just say more than 70 less than 130 i felt unstable a little as the bike felt like it was squirming around and not planted......so long story short.... i been offered a k tech razor r rear shock and uprated springs and pistons for the forks to suit my weight (107kg) i have a run to the lake district and stop over in july so its in for remapping and playing with idea of the suspension.....any thoughts from anyone to help make my mind up as its a chunk of dough...
post #2 of 29 Old 05-14-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I had my suspension done and it's worth IF you plan on keeping the bike long term, like you said it is a chunk of dough. If you plan on selling the bike any time soon you would probably lose half of what you put in to it . That being said the bike is awesome with a proper suspension set up.
sparehead1 and kneeslider like this.
post #3 of 29 Old 05-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
You definitely need to get the rear shock (K-tech Razor). That's a "must do" to make the bike fun to ride again (no more 'bucking bronco' or kidneys pounded into submission.) I think you could just do that and then ADJUST the front fork you have to make it 'good'.

The problem with the bike 'as it is' is that the front and rear suspension are so mis-matched you can't dial it in. When you get a 'real' rear shock on there - with better high speed compression dampening - then you can start adjusting the front suspension to make the bike handle and feel the way you want. The instability should go away.

Obviously doing the front end, TOO, would be great, but that is not the 'weak' link; the rear shock is what MUST be replaced. Try that first and hold off on the front end work until you get some miles on the bike with the new rear shock. You might be happily surprised that it's all you need.

Last edited by frog4aday; 05-14-2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: minor grammar issues fixed

post #4 of 29 Old 05-14-2019, 06:24 PM

I don't think you can waste money on suspension. It's always the best thing you can do for your ride. I'm surprised you find the stock harsh at your weight. I'm 100kg and it's not terrible. I can hold lines on long sweepers at 160km/hr and faster on the stock tyres. That being said the rear shock is the weak link on this bike. Wilber or K Tech or even an r1 shock with a mounting adapter will fix the problem.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #5 of 29 Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainus83 View Post
SNIPPED STUFF>I'm surprised you find the stock harsh at your weight. I'm 100kg and it's not terrible. <SNIPPED STUFF>
Having read this often enough, I swear the rear shock on this bike must be like the screwed up ECUs on some of the early models; some bikes were okay and others were horrible. I can only tell you that my 2016 GSX-S1000 had a horrid, piece of shite rear shock that sucks the fun out of a day's riding. Harsh response to bumps and the a-s-s end of the bike is all over the place in the corners if the road isn't smooth as a billiards table. Screwing with the adjustments doesn't really help because without a high-speed compression adjustment, it's pointless; that's the biggest issue (it's far too harsh) and you can't doing anything about it.

I'm glad YOUR bike seems okay. You aren't alone, apparently. Others seem to feel their rear shocks are 'acceptable'. Just know that many are much worse than what you got (apparently.) Either that or we all just have very different expectations or 'feelings' about what is acceptable. Can't know for certain, but what I do know is that you are correct when you said money into the suspension is never wasted. A bike that handles well and responds to the road properly is a joy to ride. When your bike is suspended properly, you will ride it more often and you will enjoy those hours in the saddle a lot more. That's worth the $800 spent on a new rear shock.
post #6 of 29 Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
This bike definitely needs better suspension.
Some are really happy with the stock set up but I think if you haven’t ridden a bike with great
Suspension before your not going to know much better.
For me it’s ok on a smooth road surface but if you start to push it on more bumpy stuff it gets
Out of sorts and to me that’s really annoying.
If it were me I would definitely go with ktech front and rear.
By the way I’m 74kgs.
post #7 of 29 Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cheers for all the thoughts and input guys...think i will go for it...i love the bike and i wont be changing it anytime soon so i want it bang on . &#x1f44d;
post #8 of 29 Old 05-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post

Obviously doing the front end, TOO, would be great, but that is not the 'weak' link; the rear shock is what MUST be replaced. Try that first and hold off on the front end work until you get some miles on the bike with the new rear shock. You might be happily surprised that it's all you need.
I was hoping doing just the rear would be good but for ME once I did the rear I felt the front end needing work done more, kinda magnified it. The rear was compliant with the new Penski shock but the front was still harsh. No matter what setting I had on the front , I wasn't happy with the stock front. So I bit the bullet and did the front. I guess I wanted everything perfect I traded a 07 Tuono for my Suzuki that had the suspension done, to be honest no matter how much money I throw at that my Suzuki it will never handle as good as that Aprillia

Last edited by Jorider61; 05-15-2019 at 07:03 AM.
post #9 of 29 Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerLee View Post
Cheers for all the thoughts and input guys...think i will go for it...i love the bike and i wont be changing it anytime soon so i want it bang on . &#x1f44d;
You won't regret it!
You might try considering adding a remote preload adjuster too if you are often switching between riding solo and two up often. It makes changing set ups a flick of the wrist

Pull my finger
post #10 of 29 Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
K-Tech Razor rear shock transformed my bike. I even caught it on sale through Revzilla back around christmas late last year. Front forks are not that bad once that piece of junk stock rear shock is off the bike.
mike d and frog4aday like this.

2016 GSX-S1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page