GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Suspension settings

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  frog4aday 
#1 ·
Hi guys
Sorry to post another question about suspension but I have read some threads and I am struggling to grasp this subject (being stupid I know)
At least 50% of the time I have my wife on the back, she weighs about 10 stone should I just leave as factory setting or increase pre load on rear so sag is better. I’m just a little confused, any advice would be appreciated, once I get it set for both of us on the bike then I guess the bike will be set up incorrectly when I’m on my own, don’t get me wrong I’m not the worlds best rider so I’m thinking a general setting would be good enough. Thank you in advance :laugh:

#2 ·
I took my wife a few times and i had the spring set at 3rd step (1 being my softest) and slowed down decompression two clicks. Then she went off the bike and I dialed those two clicks back...

too much preload IS dangerous imo she was slingshotting above me at times. pogo stick

I must say its not comfortable for me to have a passenger on this bike, im glad it was just a few km to go get icecream

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#4 ·
for some reason I have all the weight of the passenger on my forearms and shoulders. and the steering becomes HEAVY! its just painful after a while. Its also impossible for my passenger to put their hands on the tank because of my body position and handlebars, I have to force myself to lean forward. That day I wished for a Harley lol

yes softer is definitely better for preload, either way. we are both 65-70kg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#5 ·
That’s your passengers fault there scared so they throw them self’s into you, my wife learned pretty quick that she needed to hold onto me not lean into me during fast breaking she dose push me but I got tank grips so I use those to hold us works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
General rule of thumb. More weight, more preload required.
The idea is to maintain the most control of the bike at all times. If your spring is too soft for the weight the bike will be unstable over bumps and on corners. The back in will be sagging and wallowing.
Try a couple of different settings ie adding one notch of preload and then maybe adding too notches of preload. the setting will depend on your combined weight.
When you go back to solo you should switch it all back. Too much preload will feel good on a flat road but every bump will hurt and try to bounce you out of the seat also the bike will have a tendency to shake its head and could go into a full blown tank slapper.

If you do a lot of two up riding a custom shock with remote pre-load adjuster would be a well worth while investment. Much better comfort,safety and switchable between one or two up at the turn of a wrist.

Its up to you but I would change it for every ride type;)

#8 ·
Two up preload?

Hi guys
Sorry to post another question about suspension but I have read some threads and I am struggling to grasp this subject (being stupid I know.) At least 50% of the time I have my wife on the back, she weighs about 10 stone. Should I just leave at factory setting or increase pre-load on rear so sag is better? I’m just a little confused; any advice would be appreciated. Once I get it set for both of us on the bike then I guess the bike will be set up incorrectly when I’m on my own? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not the world's best rider so I’m thinking a general setting would be good enough. Thank you in advance.
I had to Google what 10 stones was in pounds since that's how my Texas mind works. So your wife is about 140lbs. You don't say how much YOU weigh, so we only have half the equation. Assume the bike, at 'factory' settings is 'good' for a 160lb rider and you are about that. When you put your wife on, you two eat up most of the suspension travel (more so in the back), throwing off the steering geometry of the bike, and the ride is rougher for you both as the bike 'bottoms-out' the rear suspension at times. (The front is affected, too, but not as bad; you would mostly notice the front being too soft when braking, but the same principles apply.)

You need to dial in more preload, front and rear. What you are searching for is the best compromise so you don't have to keep changing it back and forth. I'd go to 3/4 of full preload front and rear and try that. It might be a little too soft with her on the bike, BUT LIVABLE, and it might be a bit too stiff with you on the bike alone, BUT LIVABLE, and that's what you're looking for. I've found such a compromise setting on many of my bikes. Just know that when your wife is on the back, don't ride aggressively. Be chill and save the 'fast' runs for when it is just you in the saddle.

Another thought is to increase the front COMPRESSION dampening about a 1/4 turn, also, so you don't blow through the travel up there too quickly when she is on the bike with you. Just experiment and you'll find the happy compromise setting that will work. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.