LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Lucky Day

I had some business in Maine today, so decided to take the bike to my appointment; and packed a dress shirt.

As an aside, for anyone riding in Maine - be careful, as many of the roads S*CK. Frost heaves, pot holes, no shoulders, sand, etc........ Roads between Waypoint B to Waypoint C on attached map are horrendous. Road between Waypoint C to D were decent, but the point of the post is................

Leaving the town of Harrison (WayPoint D) and heading toward Bridgton, Maine, the road turns good. I was behind a car and a loaded tractor trailer in a 35 mph (56kph) zone, and I chose to pass. The Cumberland County Sheriff Department Officer decided that my doing 77mph (124kph) as I was passing was worthy of pulling me over.

So I pulled over, removed my helmet and handed over license, registration and insurance card. I could tell the officer was perplexed; as in; what is that 60+ year old bald guy dong on a bike like that riding like that? Well he ran my license, checked out my record, etc.... and after 10 - 15 minutes came back to the bike and said: "Please slow down and be careful sir - and have a nice day."

I must admit - I was floored. Suffice to say I drove away very carefully - and was very good for 5 or 10 minutes...............................

Last edited by GSXS-NH; 08-05-2019 at 05:18 PM.
post #2 of 6 Old 06-06-2019, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXS-NH View Post
I had some business in Maine today, so decided to take the bike to my appointment; and packed a dress shirt.

As an aside, for anyone riding in Maine - be careful, as many of the roads S*CK. Frost heaves, pot holes, no shoulders, sand, etc........ Roads between Waypoint B to Waypoint C on attached map are horrendous. Road between Waypoint C to D were decent, but the point of the post is................

Leaving the town of Harrison (WayPoint D) and heading toward Bridgton, Maine, the road turns good. I was behind a car and a loaded tractor trailer in a 35 mph (56kph) zone, and I chose to pass. The Cumberland County Sheriff Department Officer decided that my doing 77mph (124kph) as I was passing was worthy of pulling me over.

So I pulled over, removed my helmet and handed over license, registration and insurance card. I could tell the officer was perplexed; as in; what is that 60+ year old bald guy dong on a bike like that riding like that? Well he ran my license, checked out my record, etc.... and after 10 - 15 minutes came back to the bike and said: "Please slow down and be careful sir - and have a nice day."

I must admit - I was floored. Suffice to say I drove away very carefully - and was very good for 5 or 10 minutes...............................
There aren't many time when being 60+ (like me) has it's advantages. I'm glad you found one!
lost likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
I find that LEO is more lenient as we get older. I guess wisdom and responsibility are assumed with age. It's reverse age-discrimination, really, and I'm okay with it as it gives me something to look forward to as I plan future shenanigans.
mike d and frog4aday like this.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-07-2019, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Maybe it's wishful thinking but sometimes I feel like as long as you don't run and have a clean record, you can luck out.

I used to speed all the time when I first started riding on my GSXR600. When I was 28, I quickly got pulled over the one and only time when I did a quick burst getting up to 130mph zooming away from traffic on the freeways of SoCal before I noticed the flashing lights. Pulled over into a gas station right up to a wall and made sure he saw me throw my keys onto the ground. He asked me why the **** was I going so fast. I told him the truth, "I went to the track yesterday and I'm an idiot." He took my info, I prepared myself to be taken to jail, he came back, and he told me to slow down. I said okay, I waited, and, without ever having looked him in the eyes due to the shame of it all, he took off. A little dumbfounded at that moment as to what the **** just happened but I never had the urge to speed again after that.

Now when driving a car, I got cited for doing 49 on a 35 when I was passing a semi and another for doing 44 on a 30 downhill speed trap. Both times I whined, both times I got fined. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
It is a beautiful thing when a cop uses his/her judgement and discretion and DON'T ticket us. Those moments are rare but oh so beautiful. I got pinged by a Sheriff in NM doing 89mph in a 55mph zone. (My speedo said 93mph, so 89 sounded good!) He told me to 'Slow the f-ck down'...and I did. No ticket that day. I was truly thankful.
Beaker and Barstewardsquad like this.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-01-2019, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
being a towing truck driver at ritewaytowingnyc, i have seen a lot of accidents on the road. we always suggest to my friends and family to drive carefully.

Last edited by martinbrown989; 07-01-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page