• 1 Post By Robbieben

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-11-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Maximum safe RPM GSX s1000

All right gentlemen I finally pulled my ECU and sent it out to Danos today. I'm going with a Decat, slip-on and stock air filter. I've been searching through some of the threads on here and came across a few about bumping the RPM limiter up to around 12200 but I have not seen any discussions about maximum safe RPM for these engines. I really don't flog mine up to redline too often and I haven't hit the limiter yet even though you really can't see the tach on these while you're trying to watch down the road at maximum thrust. LOL so does anyone have any idea what these puppies will take.
post #2 of 5 Old 06-11-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGSXSRider View Post
All right gentlemen I finally pulled my ECU and sent it out to Danos today. I'm going with a Decat, slip-on and stock air filter. I've been searching through some of the threads on here and came across a few about bumping the RPM limiter up to around 12200 but I have not seen any discussions about maximum safe RPM for these engines. I really don't flog mine up to redline too often and I haven't hit the limiter yet even though you really can't see the tach on these while you're trying to watch down the road at maximum thrust. LOL so does anyone have any idea what these puppies will take.
I read some years ago that even a single instance of valve float reduces the strength of the valve spring by several percent, which means the spring is no longer capable of supporting the rpm it was before. And the spring loses more strength every time the valve floats.

Can't remember where I read that, but that was the gist. Ever since reading that I've vowed to avoid valve float like the plague. IMO, exceeding the factory redline on a stock engine just isn't worth the risk. The potential consequences (which are numerous and expensive) outweigh any benefit.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-11-2019, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Just had Dano flash mine and left the RPM limiter unchanged. I did have the speed limiter removed, although I can't ever see myself pushing it that far.
SlowGSXSRider likes this.

2016 GSXS1000F
2007 Honda VTX 1800F3

post #4 of 5 Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
the stock gsx-s valve springs are 36ft lb seat pressure and max lift of valves is 8.7mm, this in comparision to gsxr1000 k5 spec of 28 lb seat pressure and max lift of 9.5mm plus their rev limit is 12500rpm, though there valves are titanium.

the stock gsx-s powerband is in decline before 11500rpm so they set rev limit early, ive set mine at 12500rpm, no worries with valve float, the stock conrods are steel which actually stretch less than the titanium gsxr items.
im building another hi performance cylinder head from a gsxrk8 item to install on my gsx-s, it will be running hi lift race cams (9.9mm/255 dur) and with raised rev limit to 13500rpm, though i will be using 45lb valve springs, so yes the rev limit stock can run at least 1 thou higher with no problem
Triz-man and SlowGSXSRider like this.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-13-2019, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I have my rev limit set at 12,400rpm and hit it regularly on track without any issues, the engine is capable of running at 12,500rpm comfortably without letting go.
SlowGSXSRider likes this.

4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul.

1982 Honda CB750 BOL D'OR
2017 Kawasaki GTR 1400
2017 Suzuki GSX S1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page