User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question GSX-S rear suspension really that bad ?

Hi All,

Question to the guys thats taken the GSX-S to the track, (not meaning your first time ) is the rear shock really that bad as what it looks like?

Going over the forum it looks like every 3 rd post is about some sort of upgrade to the rear, is it more of a personal thing of modding the bike, or is it actually needed? From my experience, on road tires you probably won't get to the point where a properly set-up stock suspension upgrade is needed?

I have not yet taken mine to the track nor done any spirited twisties, and a while won't tell you much about it anyway and not planning on making it a race bike, just curious if there is something wrong with it as it sure looks like it...haha
post #2 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
The rear shock is very poor on road or track and I'd say an important upgrade to the bike before any power/performance upgrades.

The rear shock is very basic and adjustment range inadequate for what is needed to make the bike handle well. Lack of compression damping and very poor rebound make it useless when the bike is pushed hard.

There are plenty of options to suit all budgets available from various manufacturers and a few from other bikes that will either go straight on or will fit with minor modifications.
frog4aday likes this.

4 wheels move the body, but 2 wheels move the soul.

1982 Honda CB750 BOL D'OR
2017 Kawasaki GTR 1400
2017 Suzuki GSX S1000
post #3 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
It''t a pogo stick unless you weigh a tonne and it can't be adjusted for a normal earthling; it is one of the hidden costs of buying this great bike cheap; you need a Nitron, Wilbers or other proper shock and a booster plug to stop it having a snappy throttle... sorry it took me a while to work it out, however the rest of the bike is great, it's just that you can't see the crappy shock when you buy it, and the snappy throttle is because all new bikes are mapped ridiculously lean at low revs to pass the EU emission tests.
frog4aday likes this.

post #4 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate the headsup on this.

Will get it ordered and take it with on my next practise day, then I will do a proper writeup with pics on the day between the stock shock setup, testing, replacement, setup and testing with the new one.

Ill have a look what we locally have available for this bike, otherwise ill or check in again on the forum for recommendations on rear shocks if I do not find a good local alternative.
john.moore.1.6td likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
To be honest I don’t think the rebound screw even works.
The bike is ok on a smooth surface but on bumpy roads its really crap.
I’m really fussy when it comes to suspension but others have said it’s ok but not me.
I weigh 75kgs 165lbs sag front 35mm rear 30mm.
twag4 likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
YES it is that bad and even worse than reported. Upsets the entire machine. You'll think the front forks are junk as well until you replace the pos rear shock then it's all good up front.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #7 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post
YES it is that bad and even worse than reported. Upsets the entire machine. You'll think the front forks are junk as well until you replace the pos rear shock then it's all good up front.
When I did my rear shock to me it magnified the crap forks up front, I had to do both I went with Traxxion AK-20 .
post #8 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorider61 View Post
When I did my rear shock to me it magnified the crap forks up front, I had to do both I went with Traxxion AK-20 .
Not the case with me, I weigh 140 lbs and set on stock settings up front with 2 clicks of compression out it was pretty much spot on. Forks up front are not bad units. Valving is a little off but normal for a mas produced machine. Spring rate is not real stiff but not that noticeable when your a light weight rider.
frog4aday likes this.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #9 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
To me the front ends of these bikes are stiff, I do out weight you by 100lbs. What convinced me to do the front end was , I had the rear done and I was testing it out I was on a long high speed left hander and I hit a bump and it was like almost a bang feeling. That bump threw the bike out of my line, now with the new front end it soaks up that very same bump and holds its line.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-20-2019, 08:30 PM

Front is overly compressed in the valving the spring rates on light side but ok for typical street riding. Typical Japanese street bike.

You are to heavy for stock spring rate you bottomed out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page