38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 06-25-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSXS-F for touring

I didn't want to make this thread because I've bugged you guys about buying one of these so much already, but I'm at my whits end here looking for the right bike, so hear me out. The good news is I've ridden one around town and it's great, loved it. But that doesn't tell me much about how it's going to feel after 500 miles.

I make my own seats and I'd be putting a big Calsci on it so comfort is a non-issue, the bike is probably the most comfortable bike I've ridden. What I'm concerned about the overall idea of touring on what's basically a liter-bike. I made a list of alternates including a ZX14R, VFR1200, Ninja 1000, Versys 1000, Hayabusa, Bandit 1250, Blackbird, FJ-09 and a few more. Every single one has a deal breaker for me which leaves me with this dilemma of GSXS or nothing basically. I just can't bring myself to put money down on any of my options, several of which I've already had and sold for one reason or another.

So do things like a light flywheel, short gearing, minimal wind protections and relatively small fuel tank matter? I guess I can only answer these questions but if (and this is a big one) if the GSXS is set up well, does is make a good long distance bike?

Many thanks in advance, I very much hope I end up with this bike so I can return the favor with useful touring mods. I'm clearly a over-thinker and poor decision maker, but I'm crazy passionate about my riding so it is what it is.
post #2 of 60 Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I love the bike, don't get me wrong, but you'll need to do a bit to tour any distances with it in my opinion. One more tooth on the counter shaft and maybe some less teeth on the rear sprocket. Need to get it flashed to get about half of the engine brake out. Maybe a more comfortable seat?? There are some bolt on frames available to keep soft bags from getting snagged in the wheel or chain. Don't know if any hard bags are available. Possibly a larger windscreen also.
post #3 of 60 Old 06-25-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So nothing inherently detrimental to touring? I'm well used to modding the **** out of my bikes for long distance.

Curious about how less engine braking helps?

post #4 of 60 Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Garage
I have a Yamaha FJR1300 and I think that the F model of the GSX-S1000 would make a fine touring bike. It won't tour as well as my FJR, but it'd make up for it in the fun stuff. My biggest complaint is the seat, but it sounds like you have that covered. I have the naked, but I think with the fairing and a decent aftermarket screen along with some soft bags and it'd be good for some light sport touring. I know the guys in Europe travel with them just fine and there's a ride report on here somewhere of a guy in the USA doing a tour of Colorado and up to Sturgis on the naked model.

It does come down to a few small concessions but it all depends on what kind of touring you want to do and what you would consider to be acceptable. The right rider for the right rides and I think the F will suit you just fine.
Ditch likes this.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #5 of 60 Old 06-26-2019, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Here's the deal. If you want a comfortable but boring, go with a touring or sport touring bike. (I've had the Honda ST-1300 and others)

If you want a bike that gets your blood pumping at all times, go with the GSXS.

I've put several 8hr days in, and although the seat (I have the Saddleman) gets a bit numb after 6hrs, it's a blast to ride.

For me, the stock gearing works just fine. Also, I have the Ermax screen on my F and I have no issues with the wind unless passing a transport.

Dress it up the way you want it, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've had my bike now for 2 years and still love it.
Rusty and mike d like this.

2016 GSXS1000F
2007 Honda VTX 1800F3
post #6 of 60 Old 06-26-2019, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
hi, i did a 5,000 km tour last year around our south island just b4 winter onset , approx 10 days, i had throw over saddle bags, pack rack with camping gear, my bike has most of the mods including suspension. i found it comfortable enough ( stock seat) with the mra touring screen, its not fully faired protection, but adequate. i find it a good compromise all rounder
mike d likes this.
post #7 of 60 Old 06-26-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
I ride 250-300 miles on any given Sunday and have no regrets. It's all state of mind, and I prefer to have fun.
post #8 of 60 Old 06-26-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Garage
There are plenty of solutions for luggage, and aftermarket screens depending on your preferences. What would be a deal breaker for you for a touring setup?
frog4aday likes this.
post #9 of 60 Old 06-26-2019, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Some good advice there, all valid.
The one thing that bugs me s getting a wet/muddy back when the weather turns bad. Other than that there isn't anything it cant handle.
If it's pure touring you want there are better options, if it's pure sprorts you want there are better options but if you want to be able to do all of it, rag it like a sports bike, tour like a visitor or just cruise it will do it all reasonably well.
It's a darn sight cheaper than most and that leaves room for a few mods. A nice shock, a taller screen. Whatever tickles your fancy to get it how you want it. There's plenty of aftermarket stuff to choose from.
Oh, and mines topping 200 miles to a tank when i'm touring, that's enough for me and about 160 when I'm playing
temporarykiwi likes this.

Pull my finger
post #10 of 60 Old 06-26-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I don't know how old you are and what kind of physical condition you are. I'm 63 and I have been in better shape in my life namely my back when I was younger. I have done 400 mile days but I didn't have to wake up and do it all over the next day. So for long trips I take my FJ-09, I love that bike. Really only you can answer how YOU will feel after riding back to back to back long days. A young guy in shape can do it no problem but me I prefer my touring bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page