GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Front Suspension Options for Our Bikes

14K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  polishnightmare 
#1 ·
Ok so we all know the suspension on our bike is a major let down. and somehow the amazing, engine, chasis and swingarm is able to mask to an extent the cra@p of the suspension it sits on. hands down it handles simply because of the above and nothing else.

i dont know about others, but i am not able to feel the front end working at all. there is absolutely zero feedback from the front forks to the rider, most of the time i cant feel what the front tyres and brakes are doing. taking a corner the bike tips in nicely and stays on the line, no probs... but while at it there is simply no feel of the road.

a good front suspension will also have good control or modulation when applying brakes, the harder the brakes are applied one could feel the springs compressing at will, i hope you understand what i mean. But sadly in our bike, no Ffing feel whats so ever.

This leaves me unimpressed after every ride. i am not able to push the bike because of this feeling less ness...

The same goes for the rear, the rebound is terrible, you hit a bump and off to the moon you go... its such a piece of trash, like the front forks the rear is also stiff, ending with a harsh ride.

I own a KTM and man the suspension on those are nothing but brilliant, Its by their subsidiary WP

so i just had a look at their website, and found this, front cartridge which i believe can installed in out front fork outer tube, if i am right. the one listed suits GSXR.

This is the Link
https://www.wp-suspension.com/en-us/procomponents/street/apex-pro-7500/

some details

Technical Data
Piston 23 mm
Piston rod12 mm

Adjustments
Spring Preload
Compression Damping
Rebound Damping

The WP APEX PRO 7500 Cartridge can be installed in your original OEM front fork outer tube. The cartridge system greatly improves the performance and response of your front end. The WP APEX PRO 7500 Cartridge has an internal reservoir and, by putting the oil in this reservoir under pressure, the damping is much more consistent. Developed for racing, the cartridge system has no hydraulic stroke limitation, meaning that the pilot can continually control the damping properties. The system can be fully adjusted externally. The use of high quality, lightweight material substantially reduces the weight of the original fork. The WP APEX PRO 7500 Cartridge guarantees best performance for race-oriented motorcyclists and professional racers. The individual damping properties can be finely and individually tuned with the fully adjustable compression and rebound damping. The WP Road Competiton Cartridge was developed to be used in the German International Championship (IDM) and adapted to work on many road models.

Its listed for 1795 Euros here
https://oneclick.com.ee/shop/forks/wp-supersport-competition-cartidridge-kit/

What do you people think

are there other good alternatives

See less See more
#4 ·
there are a few options available.

I had my cartridges done by traxtion dynamics and replaced with their ak20s. I think they perform awesome and have zero regrets on the upgrade. Not cheap but if the reviews and comparisons are to be believed, the AK20s are supposed to compare to a decent set of Ohlins.....they are def. cheaper than ohlin.

Racetech will rebuild them for you. Cant go wrong there.

I know there is an itallian brand that makes a drop in cartridge set for about 1200 to 1400.

Matris makes a cartridge set also but I wasn't thrilled with some of their other products.

revalving with or without new/better springs may a achieve all you want at half the price. Traxxion dynamics would have done that for like $600. The advantage of using them is that they are small, but very professional and precise. Each set of forks they work on gets a very high level of personal attention and detail. If you send them a shock, it will always come back better.

#5 ·
Seriously, you have to fix the REAR of the bike first. The front and rear suspension on this bike are so ridiculously mis-matched, I can't figure out the front because the back end is so poorly damped. With a REAL rear shock on the back, you can suddenly 'feel' what the front is doing and then fine tune it.

Not saying doing the front wouldn't help at some point, as several have done it and been happy. But you might be okay with the front once you get the BACK end sorted out. It is horrible. It throws off everything else. Once I put the Wilbers on in the back, I was able to dial in the front to my liking. Perhaps you'll find the same? (K-Tech also makes a nice rear shock for the same price as the Wilbers; about $850 to $900.)

#6 ·
I changed the rear shock only and it was a major improvement for me. I'm not a heavy guy around 140 lbs no gear. I run stock preload up front and stock rebound settings but I have the compression backed out 3 clicks from stock setting and It works ok for me. Before I bought the K-tech rear shock I was convinced the front forks sucked too. I was pleasantly surprised they are not all that bad. They are not race track quality but certainly as good as GSX-R1000 forks of the 05-08 era.

#7 ·
Reactions: CtrlU and Beaker
#11 ·
if your not after the most expensive option, i highly recomend the k-tech replacement valves, awesome upgade for minimal outlay, even better if you install them yourself, i went with 105mm oil level for 5wt fork oil , i do also have slightly harder springs, works really well with a nitron rear shock

#13 ·
If you were a top level racer you might notice the difference in the differing diameter pistons, but even top level racers aren't always that good at suspension setup.

#16 ·
That's great to hear! How's the range of adjustability on it?
I have a K-Tech on order for the rear and was exploring the options for the front - K-tech has a piston kit only - the cartridge from Andreani seems like the right being only twice the cost of K-Tech piston and third the cost of Ohlins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.