GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Sure would like to ride my new bike

5K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  mike d 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got back last night from a 2 day bike acquisition mission in Georgia, got this new 2018 gsxs ( woo hoo ! ).
Always a fun event. Haven't ridden it at all yet, just removed the tank stickers and getting ready to replace the white crap on the chain with something that won't gum up everything nearby.
Oh dear, was that thunder I heard?

My bike: Current weather: Maybe tomorrow...

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
The break in is a long debated subject ... best article I read in one of the bike mags, Sport Rider or Cycle World, etc. had a great comparison. Took 2 brand new 4 cylinder bikes, zero miles, and one they broke in according to manufacturers recommendations, the other rode flat out with no concern for “keeping it under 6,000 rpm”. After X amount of miles, they disassembled both motors and took various measurements of wear. There was no discernible difference between one or the other.

It was the best conclusive article on the subject I have seen. So don’t be so kind to your new bike! Gas it and enjoy!

#8 ·
I think the break in period does extend past the motor. The biggest part is the Rider.
Some people just don't run in the tyres, and ride with careless abandon. Suspension is another thing that beds in after a fair while.
The 'getting-to -know-you' period is to be enjoyed and careful running in keeps the 'just new' feeling of 'something more is to come' that little bit longer.

Rob.

#9 ·
Yeah, I like to take a middle of the road approach between the factory warnings and the ride it like you stole it school of thought, I won't hit redline much for the first couple hundred miles anyway.

I also find it's annoying the bike usually doesn't run and shift as well until it has a thousand or so miles on it, though.

I wouldn't even buy a new bike if I could find a decent used one when I want it., but my taste in bikes makes it hard to do.

#17 ·
That's amazing. I've owned 16 bikes and the GSX-S is the smoothest shifting one of the bunch. My 2006 FJR1300 was probably the 'clunkiest'. The first to second shift was never 'good' feeling to me. And I bought the bike new, so it wasn't something a 'previous' owner did to it. I'm sure it was fine, it just didn't FEEL fine (to me.)

Suzukis just seem to be smooth to me. I've had some SV650s that weren't as silky smooth as my GSX-S, but still pretty good for a low dollar bike. My friends 1998'ish GSX-R750 was also a very smooth shifting bike. His 2000 GSX-R1000 was a smooth shifting bike, too, but it had so much power, shifting felt optional.

I'm glad you shared your experiences. It just shows that we all perceive things differently and what seems great to one guy might not seem that good to someone else.

#19 ·
Jeez, Frog, thanks for making me feel even worse about missing yours by a week when it was for sale :) :) ..

Seriously, one of the main reasons I traded in the first Gsxs in was its tendency to miss going into 2nd gear sometimes, can't stand that kind of treason.

This 2nd one is looking pretty good though, it's a bit peppier , and so far I don't detect much of a midrange lull on this one either. The throttle is non problematic either. It's just a little notchy shifting, which I hope will get better after a few thousand more shift repetitions, then it will be all titties and beer !

#18 ·
Mine seems very smooth, although the shift from neutral to 1st seems to have more or less clunk depending on the temp and oil quality/viscosity I use. That seems to be the true with all the bikes I've owned though...Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda. I haven't owned any EU or American brands though, so I can't compare.

#20 ·
Titties and beer...that's awesome! Yep, get in the break-in miles, change the oil to synthetic (Shell Rotella 6?) and then live the dream. From the posts, I'm starting to wonder if I've just lucked out with my tranny? First time I rode it (I bought the bike used with about 600 miles on it) I was just amazed at how smoothly it shifted. Just figured everyone was having the same experience. I guess not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.