GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Best exhaust system for the gsxs 1000

21K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  gixxerLee 
#1 ·
In people's opinions what would you say is the best system you can get . Yoshi , arrow, M4 or ? .

#5 ·
I'm going to be boring and say "SUZUKI OEM" because that's the world we live in now. The catalyst cuts emissions, the exhaust valves modulate the 'pressure waves' to maximize power and torque based on gear and rpms, and the sound (on this bike) is actually pretty good without being obnoxious to the world around you.

But I know 'tricking' out the bike to make it yours is always fun - that being the case, I like a Carbon Fiber slip-on for the looks and the 'deeper bass-type' sound it usually produces. As for a full-on system - seeking more power - I'm curious to see if #Rapido1 chimes in here as he has tried a bunch of different exhausts.

#7 ·
M4 headers with a custom built link pipe from 57 mm to suit a 60 mm id silencer, a remap of fueling, secondary butterflies and ignition makes 160 rear wheel horse power and 82ft-lbs torque and is linear smooth all the way through the rev range.
The M4 system is good but it can be improved on by increasing the length for better scavenging and optimising the pulse waves.

Attachments

Reactions: frog4aday
#10 ·
I finally got my full Yoshi set in with the R11 and it is a piece of art, it was painless to fit the system as well. The ECU is heading towards Dano's right now. Hoping it comes back before the weekend.

I would go M4 or Yoshi but with Yoshi you will most likely end up with a pretty long wait. I ordered my set about 3 months ago and got them last friday. They ended up back ordered after telling me that there was one set left.

#25 · (Edited)
. I've got the full Yoshi system and r11 black magic end can , I've removed O2 sensor ,pair value exhaust servo ,k&n filter fitted and had it flashed ,it is a beast now and sounds fantastic . I've got it booked in for a custom map soon as the base flash from Woolwich i have is good and really changed the bike but i know it can be better on the Dyno .ohh I've upgraded the rear shock too to a maxton RT10 wow what a difference that is too .

#17 · (Edited)
When I bought my bike, I knew I was getting a great bike with a few perceived flaws; and that playing with it / modifying it was half the enjoyment. Depending upon the year and the mods most of us are doing, the bike runs anywhere from 135hp to 165hp, with varying power curves, and the bike may or may not have a flat spot in the 3500 – 7000 rpm range.

Now some would argue the OEM exhaust looks good, sounds fine and works as expected; and the bike is a beast right off the showroom floor – and I would agree. But…………… this is an exhaust thread.

Arrow: The fit & fitment with the Arrow headers is superb – absolutely superb. Everything hooked up easy and tight. I added the Holeshot 10” Bad Boy Comp exhaust can with mid-pipe. Bike ran buttery smooth at idle, no hunting nor surging; and power throughout the rpm range was noticeably better. The bike went from a beast to a nasty SOB of a beast.

M4. Took the Arrow off last week and installed the M4. The fit & fitment is not as good as the Arrow. I did pay particular attention bolting the header to the engine, and happy to say – no leaks. I had to add washers / spacers and a longer mounting bolt as the exhaust and the can did not line up well. As soon as I started the bike – I noticed the hunting / surging others have mentioned. Out on the road, there is a detectable difference in the 3500 – 7000 rpm range. Dramatic – no; noticeable, yes. So now the bike has gone from a beast, to a nasty SOB of a Beast, to a slightly nastier SOB of a Beast.

Next step. I am having a custom mid-pipe made so I can reinstall my Holeshot 10” can. I am hoping / guessing that adding the 14” – 15” mid-pipe with the can will smooth out the idle. Once installed and tested I will report on it. Will also hit the dyno shortly after that is done and will share.

For clarity, my mods include:
K&N Filter, Restrictor plate removed, PAIR Block Off Plates, EVAP Removed, O2 sensor removed, Exhaust Valve & Actuator Removed and a full Dano’s Flash.

#18 ·
NH, does your Holeshot can have an insert or is it straight through? If it's straight through, you may end up with a more pronounced surging than before, as the M4 can came with an insert that gives it some back pressure which Dano says is necessary for a smooth idle.

#29 ·
You will need to contact Yoshimura America and they can order the complete system from Japan. It can take quite a while to get it though. So far I am in love with it. ECU should be back in my hands tomorrow and then I can give a better review. Fitting and aesthetically I am kind of in awe, it looks great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.