User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-27-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What 520 front sprocket brand are you using?

Iíve had a huge issue with my sprocket, looks like my new 520 sprocket came lose and snapped my sprocket cover, Iíve never heard of this happening and Iíve heard of a lot of you running 520 conversions and itís been a nightmare trying to get this conversion figured out then this happens Ive thrown so much money at this stupid sprocket set up already I donít know why I didnít just stay 525

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2 of 15 Old 08-27-2019, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triz-man View Post
Iíve had a huge issue with my sprocket, looks like my new 520 sprocket came lose and snapped my sprocket cover, Iíve never heard of this happening and Iíve heard of a lot of you running 520 conversions and itís been a nightmare trying to get this conversion figured out then this happens Ive thrown so much money at this stupid sprocket set up already I donít know why I didnít just stay 525

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iím running Vortex sprockets. Have used them alot over the years with no issues. Sorry for your bad luck!
Triz-man likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Hey Triz-man,
Sorry to hear of your troubles with the 520 conversion. Usually not an issue, so not sure what's gone wrong. Did you buy the sprockets and the chain as a 'set' (meaning, all together, as a package deal) or did you buy each piece separately? I only ask because it seems like every now and again, you go to order a sprocket and get the wrong tooth pitch sent and it wasn't your fault and there is no way to know you got the wrong thing until...it doesn't work out.

Hopefully you can just switch back to the OEM setup and move on. I tried a 520 conversion on my CBR929 and felt absolutely no difference, which was kind of disappointing. In THEORY, I should have noticed easier/quicker acceleration from the lighter chain, but that didn't prove out in real life.

What's most sad is breaking your sprocket cover. Dang! Did the countershaft bolt come loose? Not sure how the GSXS is setup but most bikes have a washer you bend over on one of the nut flats so the nut can't undo itself. If that's not the setup, then I'm think blue loctite becomes your friend. So sorry for the issues you're having. It can certainly be frustrating when new parts don't work out as planned. Hopefully nothing else was damaged and you can get fixed up and back on the road quickly.
oldjackbob likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
Hey Triz-man,
What's most sad is breaking your sprocket cover. Dang! Did the countershaft bolt come loose? Not sure how the GSXS is setup but most bikes have a washer you bend over on one of the nut flats so the nut can't undo itself. If that's not the setup, then I'm think blue loctite becomes your friend..
The GSXS doesn't have a bendable lock washer, it has a special sheet metal "lip" on the last thread of the sprocket nut that kinda bites onto the countershaft threads and hangs on tight, kinda like a nylock nut would grip the bolt threads. And blue loctite is an absolute requirement, IMO, as is full-spec torque applied to the nut during assembly. Also, don't cheap-out and try to re-use the original nut - use a fresh nut every time you remove the old one for any reason.

If you decide to omit any of those steps, be prepared to deal with the possible consequences.
frog4aday likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-28-2019, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
The GSXS doesn't have a bendable lock washer, it has a special sheet metal "lip" on the last thread of the sprocket nut that kinda bites onto the countershaft threads and hangs on tight, kinda like a nylock nut would grip the bolt threads. And blue loctite is an absolute requirement, IMO, as is full-spec torque applied to the nut during assembly. Also, don't cheap-out and try to re-use the original nut - use a fresh nut every time you remove the old one for any reason.
If you decide to omit any of those steps, be prepared to deal with the possible consequences.
Sorry OJB, Guilty as charged many times over,
But I have added replacement blue liquid locktite to the threads. Not on a GSX-S, but Bandits of old.
I wouldn't bother with a 520 chain; the 1000 really need's a 530 with all it's power and torque to transmit, not the other way IMHO.
The 525 came about to attempt to rationalise 520 and 530 into 1 size (the 525) to make it easier for everyone with a roadbike, the shops and the chain makers.
520 was to be then the dirt bike standard chain.

Rob.
oldjackbob and frog4aday like this.

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 08-29-2019 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 15 Old 08-29-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
The GSXS doesn't have a bendable lock washer, it has a special sheet metal "lip" on the last thread of the sprocket nut that kinda bites onto the countershaft threads and hangs on tight, kinda like a nylock nut would grip the bolt threads. And blue loctite is an absolute requirement, IMO, as is full-spec torque applied to the nut during assembly. Also, don't cheap-out and try to re-use the original nut - use a fresh nut every time you remove the old one for any reason. If you decide to omit any of those steps, be prepared to deal with the possible consequences.
OJB, I know exactly the kind of nut you are describing. I'm sure it works great for initial installation. Apparently after that...not so good? Blue loctite is always going on stuff it seems. Not sure if it would have helped in this case, but if a person is going to re-use parts, it can help keep things together. Having said that, the old 'washer' that got bent over on the nut seemed like a simple, logical solution that was used successfully for years. But...that washer becomes one more part the OEM has to buy and install (I guess.) Funny how it can all add up over the course of building thousands of bikes.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-29-2019, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Thinking on this overnight, I recalled on the Bandit the OEM front sprocket has a rubber hub on which the true sprocket is joined.
This gives the sprocket some side ways to flex if the chain alignment is a bit off.
The ones that I bought aftermarket came from Thailand and did not have this and were the thickness of the rear sprocket.
And I remembered that the sprocket did come rattly loose even with the bent up metal tab of the locking washer. Whether the blue locktite came before or after this revelation in learning is now lost in the mists of time.

I don't remember how long I kept these on, but usually a short time for testing. I mostly went back to the stock ratio's and parts when I sold the bikes on. Rear sprockets, while dearer, are easier than the front nut to get off !!!
On a first Gen Bandit 1200 S that I converted to a 1200 Naked via GS500 OEM parts, needed 2 extra links installed to suit the new ratios for acceleration grunt, but that one had a larger toothed rear sprocket fitted, so it went 'as was'.

Rob.
frog4aday likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-30-2019, 01:31 PM

Every aftermarket countershaft sprocket I've bought 'omitted' that rubber that the OEM sprocket has. But most have been thick enough to make it not a big deal. It sounds like the ones you got from Thailand were pretty skinny, so that leaves too much slop for comfort. I'd have to shim with washers or something to keep it from sliding back and forth on it's shaft. I just like things to fit right. Sounds like you do, too. When you go aftermarket, its a crap-shoot in that regard. Do any of the aftermarket sprocket makers have the countershaft sprockets with the rubber on/in them? I'd spend more to get one.
mike d likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-31-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Frog, I personally don't see the need for rubber damping on the countershaft sprocket, the OEM sprocket on my 2018 F model didn't come with any rubber, which suggests to me that the engineers didn't see any need anymore (if they ever did before).

Here's a pic of my original sprocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock countershaft sprocket.jpg (335.9 KB, 14 views)
post #10 of 15 Old 08-31-2019, 10:04 PM

Hey OJB, the rubber portion would be under the nut. I can't tell if it is there or not from the pic, but I'll take your word for it that it is absent.
I've run the aftermarket sprockets without the rubber and never noticed anything amiss, but if I got a really skinny sprocket (from Thailand, as described earlier) I don't think I'd feel as good about things. There must be a reason the OEM uses rubber, because you know if they could save a few pennies NOT using it, they would!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page