GSXS 1000 Forum banner

A rarely mentioned upgrade...

6K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  LEAVEITSTOCK 
#1 ·
I've used Shorai batteries on my last two bikes and have had no problem. A little more cost, but lighter weight and a discharge rate that negates the need for hooking my bike up to a charger during the winter months.
Here's a comparison video.
Enjoy, and flame on!

#6 ·
Yep, I almost always switch out to lithium, in fact I just tried to put a Shorai from my recently sold KTM into the GSXS, but it was too tall to fit.
I used to use Ballistic Lithiums but it seems they went out of business. Now these new Shorais seem to be approximating the dimensions of the original battery ( but still the light weight ), whereas the Ballistics were smaller and would fit most any bike.
Anyway, easy way to lose 5+ pounds..

#9 ·
I run Anti-Gravity Lithium batteries in both of my bikes. This past Winter started mid-October, and never really ended until early April. Bikes were stored in a heated garage (50 degrees) from roughly October 20th until mid-April. Both bikes fired right up as batteries held the charge. Both are also smaller and significantly lighter than OEM.

#11 ·
Now I wish I had put a Shorai in my Super Tenere; the POS thing I got off Amazon is a joke. Pull it off the battery tender and it still sounds like it is barely going to get the bike started. I 'saved' money, but now I have a junk battery I don't trust. The Shorai sounds like the way to go in the future. And as @mike d pointed out in another post, between the new battery and a slip-on, he dropped 10lbs of weight from his GSX-S1000 which gets it to about 447 lbs - pretty good!

#13 ·
@LEAVEITSTOCK, that is pretty lucky. If I'm reading correctly, a lead-acid type battery will self-discharge at a rate of about 5% per month, so after 4 months you are at 80% and after 5 months you are at 75%. Apparently still enough to crank over your bike, which is great. (The big pistons of the Super Tenere do NOT like to move, so it takes a lot of ooomph to get that bike going.)
------------------
From this website: https://northeastbattery.com/battery-101-three-things-need-know-lead-acid-batteries/
Do lead acid batteries discharge when not in use?
All batteries experience some amount of self-discharge, yes. But, the rate of discharge for lead acid batteriesdepends on a few key factors.
**Temperature: The warmer the environment while a battery is in storage, the faster the rate of self-discharge. For example, a battery being stored at an average temperature of 80℉ will discharge at a rate of 4% per week. Whereas a lead acid battery being stored at 65℉ will only discharge at a rate of approximately 3% per month. **Length of Storage: The amount of time a battery spends in storagewill also lead to self-discharge. A lead acid battery left in storage at moderate temperatures has an estimated self-discharge rate of 5% per month. This rate increases as temperatures rise and as the risk of sulfation goes up.

#23 · (Edited)
I know this is an old tread but my 3 years old battery died on me and I was wandering what to replace it with.
I came across this video from Ryan at Fortnine.This guy is famous and his videos are great.

Go take a look and register. There are alot of gems there.

I have ordered an AGM. and I will install it tomorrow If I am lucky.

#24 ·
Just a note... I bought an HDX AntiGravty battery with ReStart technology (seems like a great idea), for my DL650.
Installed it and nothing. No lights, no starter, no nothin'. So I think, maybe the low charge triggered the Restart cicuit and I need to pree the Restart button. Still no good. The battery arrived dead, dead, dead. Back to Shorai for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.