tank slapper in the wet!!!!!! - Page 2 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 09-24-2019, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
"Traction Control" is only a catchy phrase, and a misnomer and may contribute to give a false sense of security. Nothing will "KICK-IN" to help, as stated.

The only thing it means is; the lower the "Traction Control" setting is, the milder the computer output to the injectors is, related to the throttle input. The motion response to throttle inputs is just slower, that's it.

It WILL NOT improve he traction between the tires and the ground, and it WILL NOT limit the leaning of the bike on wet conditions, nor the speed...…....those are physics to be judged and acted upon by the rider, according with the situation..

….ABS might help a bit preventing the rear wheel locking in a panic situation, but other than that, it is better to ride as you would in a wet environment, regardless of the electronic "enhancements".
Dragunslayer likes this.
post #12 of 26 Old 09-24-2019, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Thank slappers are no fun. Had one once on a Bandit 600. Don't know exactly why it happened but the front tire was slightly cupped. Never happened again but I left a pucker mark in the seat that day.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-24-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Picker Mark
I suppose thatís better than golden nuggets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull my finger

post #14 of 26 Old 09-24-2019, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugojose View Post
"Traction Control" is only a catchy phrase, and a misnomer and may contribute to give a false sense of security. Nothing will "KICK-IN" to help, as stated.

The only thing it means is; the lower the "Traction Control" setting is, the milder the computer output to the injectors is, related to the throttle input. The motion response to throttle inputs is just slower, that's it.
What? That is a description of ride modes which the GSX-S1000 does not have, it has traction control.

Direct from Suzuki website:

Quote:
The system checks the front and rear wheel speeds, the throttle position sensor, the crank position sensor, and the gear position sensor 250 times a second. It quickly reduces engine output by effecting control over the ignition timing whenever it detects wheelspin.
That's a system kicking in to try to save you, abeit not perfect, but it doesn't affect your bike except when it detects wheel spin.

Further info:

mike d and oldjackbob like this.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

Last edited by gixxerjasen; 09-24-2019 at 08:21 PM.
post #15 of 26 Old 09-24-2019, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
The system definitely "kicks in". If you have ridden a GSX-S in the different modes, you would know that.
post #16 of 26 Old 09-25-2019, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Yeah, tc2 allows a little bit of wheel spin. Just enough to start getting the front off the ground, before cutting the power. It's meant for normal dry conditions. Tc1 is aggressive sport riding, off is hooliganism basically. Tc3 should be used when it's wet and slippery, as it's the one that allows next to no wheel spin, and is intended for use on wet roads... So on squared off tires, it's no surprise that it got out on you with a surface as described...

I've drifted a 600 Katana(whopping 65 horsepower), on a road surface where it just lightly rained for the first time in a while before, so doing it on a bike with 2.5 times the power, and with TC function designed for dry is... Expected lol
gixxerjasen likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 09-25-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks All

thanks for the response and advice gents...Ö..new tyres and suspension set up it is...Ö.will report back when done and tested
gixxerjasen likes this.
post #18 of 26 Old 09-25-2019, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhanga View Post
thanks for the response and advice gents...Ö..new tyres and suspension set up it is...Ö.will report back when done and tested
No need to try to reproduce the above scenario though, just have fun!

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #19 of 26 Old 09-26-2019, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I had one tank slapper on my old FZ1 scared the chit out of me. Glad to hear you didn't crash!! As far as the TC is concerned I have seen the light go on while I was wicking up in the mountains the bike didn't feel like it slowed down all that much. So if I'm riding like a idiot going in to a curve with too much speed I don't think TC is going to save my a$$. I think it's more important to hone my skills in trail braking rather than relying on TC.
post #20 of 26 Old 09-27-2019, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
But it still makes me wonder why the OPs traction control did not kick in on level 2.. puzzled to be honest... if anything wet conditions with low grip allow for wheel spinning crazily... thats definitely above the threshold in dry conditions for what traction control was designed... in my opinion it should have kicked in a lot more...

I remember when i was on level 2 and my bike slipped off the side of the tarmac onto the sand on the outside... i was accelerating past a bus and my rear tyre for an instant started to violently drift from side to side... i was doing 50miles... i thought this was done for... **** tc kicked in heavy bought the rear tyre to centre and i was saved...

Wonder why the same did not happen for op

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page