Front End Clunk when Braking ! - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-02-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Front End Clunk when Braking !

Hey everyone. Have a question regarding noise in the front on my 2018 GSX-S1000F. 10,600 miles. I have had it to Berts Mega Mall in Azusa, CA. I am being told that the noise I have when braking with front brake is normal. At low speed, like below 15 mph, pull front lever to stop like pulling out of a gas station. There is a clunk and a very slight pull to the right. After having them inspect my bike and also have a Suzuki rep inspect it afterwards, they tell me that all is good and the noise is normal. I call bull$hit on that! I have a noise when braking now that started about 3 months ago. I also now have a warped rotor on the right side, noise coming from the right front brake, a brake squeal actually and the slightest pull to the right when the noise occurs. To top it off, my 4000 mile Dunlop Q3+ is wearing poorly in front. So, I guess I am curious as to how many are experiencing this since it is normal by their standards? I was told that they compared other bikes in the shop and one new one to mine and said, yep - its normal for this unit. I have a FJR 1300ABS with 70,000 miles and have no noise or issues. 5 previous bikes and never anything like this! I am somewhat beside myself regarding the lack of consideration from Suzuki since I complained. I can not even get a copy of their findings which differ from the B.S. I have on my invoice from the dealer. I was on the phone with a lady from Suzuki who told me what was on the report but declined to give me a copy. She said they go through the dealer. Kinda leaves them off the hook when you cant deal with them. Anyone else experience a lack of concern from them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My feeling is air in the hydraulics causing the front right fork to tweek to the right when brake is applied as noise and rotor issue are on the right side. Higher speed negates the issue due to momentum and force on front tire. Seems to be uneven brake application to me to cause this weird situation. Had a close call today on the 405 freeway on Costa Mesa and ABS with front applied hard felt quite poor and stopping distance seemed far greater than normal braking. Was not a pleasant experience to say the least. Looking for a solution.

Thanks for any input...

2018 Suzuki GSXS 1000F
2007 Yamaha FJR 1300
a2002lover is offline  
post #2 of 15 Old 10-03-2019, 12:03 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2002lover View Post
Hey everyone. Have a question regarding noise in the front on my 2018 GSX-S1000F. 10,600 miles. I have had it to Berts Mega Mall in Azusa, CA. I am being told that the noise I have when braking with front brake is normal. At low speed, like below 15 mph, pull front lever to stop like pulling out of a gas station. There is a clunk and a very slight pull to the right. After having them inspect my bike and also have a Suzuki rep inspect it afterwards, they tell me that all is good and the noise is normal. I call bull$hit on that! I have a noise when braking now that started about 3 months ago. I also now have a warped rotor on the right side, noise coming from the right front brake, a brake squeal actually and the slightest pull to the right when the noise occurs. To top it off, my 4000 mile Dunlop Q3+ is wearing poorly in front. So, I guess I am curious as to how many are experiencing this since it is normal by their standards? I was told that they compared other bikes in the shop and one new one to mine and said, yep - its normal for this unit. I have a FJR 1300ABS with 70,000 miles and have no noise or issues. 5 previous bikes and never anything like this! I am somewhat beside myself regarding the lack of consideration from Suzuki since I complained. I can not even get a copy of their findings which differ from the B.S. I have on my invoice from the dealer. I was on the phone with a lady from Suzuki who told me what was on the report but declined to give me a copy. She said they go through the dealer. Kinda leaves them off the hook when you cant deal with them. Anyone else experience a lack of concern from them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My feeling is air in the hydraulics causing the front right fork to tweek to the right when brake is applied as noise and rotor issue are on the right side. Higher speed negates the issue due to momentum and force on front tire. Seems to be uneven brake application to me to cause this weird situation. Had a close call today on the 405 freeway on Costa Mesa and ABS with front applied hard felt quite poor and stopping distance seemed far greater than normal braking. Was not a pleasant experience to say the least. Looking for a solution.

Thanks for any input...
Hold your front brake and push down on your bars to compress the forks. (Might have to be aggressive to really sink them down) If you hear the clunk noise pull up on the the bars to see if it does it again. If so your head bearings will need adjustment. Had to do mine and just passed 4000 miles on the odometer.
I had the brake squeal as well and it went away after I freed up the 12 bobbins on the front rotors and sanded the pads down to remove some glazing. I will be upgrading my pads over the winter so it was a temp fix for the season.
frog4aday likes this.

Last edited by Chris828; 10-03-2019 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Add info on brake squeal
Chris828 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 10-03-2019, 03:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Kassu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Kassu
Also you can check if all 3 suspension settings (preload, compression and rebound) for the front suspension are the same for both legs (left and right).
oldjackbob likes this.

Annuit coeptis
Kassu is online now  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 10-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris828 View Post
Hold your front brake and push down on your bars to compress the forks. (Might have to be aggressive to really sink them down) If you hear the clunk noise pull up on the the bars to see if it does it again. If so your head bearings will need adjustment. Had to do mine and just passed 4000 miles on the odometer.
I had the brake squeal as well and it went away after I freed up the 12 bobbins on the front rotors and sanded the pads down to remove some glazing. I will be upgrading my pads over the winter so it was a temp fix for the season.
So are you saying this is the steering head bearings that need adjustment? I also have this clunking when I compress and pull up on the forks on my 08 B King. Now I assume I need to have the steering head bearings checked.
SlowGSXSRider is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old 10-03-2019, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Rapido1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Cabo San Lucas
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Your issue is not normal. No bike should do that. Can you get a 2nd diagnosis from another Service Dept?
Rapido1 is online now  
post #6 of 15 Old 10-03-2019, 08:57 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGSXSRider View Post

So are you saying this is the steering head bearings that need adjustment? I also have this clunking when I compress and pull up on the forks on my 08 B King. Now I assume I need to have the steering head bearings checked.
Yes if you are getting the clunk noise on compression and decompression of the forks there is a high probability of it being loose steering head bearings. Mine were tightened to factory spec and the noise is gone. The clunking noise was quite loud and I could also feel it in the handlebars.
SlowGSXSRider likes this.
Chris828 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 10-03-2019, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bristol. UK
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
if the head bearings are okay it is also possible the brake pads are clicking in the callipers. Check for free play in the pads, backwards and forwards.
I think you first port of call should be to sort out that warped disc. It could be the cause of everything. The only real thing is to go through everything on the front end. Suspension settings, fork oil levels, head bearings, calliper pistons (are they sticking, need a clean?) Get the disc bobbins cleaned up. I don't think it will be a hydraulic pressure difference in the system, unless the brakes have been apart and there is air in one side but then the brake lever would be spongy

Pull my finger
Beaker is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 10-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
temporarykiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
hi, it sounds likely your getting fobbed off by your current mechanics, yes do the above mentioned st/ head bearing check, but its best checked properly via having the bike raised via frame lifting, then its a very simple and importantly accurate way to assess its condition, the proper adjustment and torquing of the strg head bearing is vital for safe operation, your brakes require servicing to remedy either stuck caliper piston/s and or air in them, a warped disc should be replaced as it will never correct itself, find a good shop /mechanic, get a full report in writing from them and confront the dealer who sold you the bike, i apologise on behalf of reputable mechanics for your bad experiences
temporarykiwi is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 10-04-2019, 01:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Australia.
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Front wheel bearings could be shot too.

Rob.
oldjackbob likes this.
Slower and Slower is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 10-04-2019, 11:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you have a warped disc you will get a clunk as the disc knocks against the pads. You'll also have poor braking power due to the distance the pads have to move to grip the disc. If you're unsure, swap the disc side to side and see if the issue moves with the disc. Try one thing at a time until you are sure you've eliminated the problem.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Veefore26 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome