LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Was rear ended, any suggestions?

So I was stopped at a construction zone today, and I got ready to take off I was nailed from behind by a drunk driver. Could have been much, much worse, but it lifted the back of the bike enough to pick me up and throw me off to the side. Iím fine, was in full riding gear and caught myself as I went down.

The tail section of the bike is pretty torn up, I know I need to replace that. And the rear tire has some gouges, Iím replacing that too. My question is, any suggestions on what I should check to make sure the bike is still solid structurally? I was able to ride it home, didnít feel any play in the swing arm or tail, tested throttle and brakes along with some weaving to feel the suspension out, and nothing felt off, no new vibrations or anything different. Luckily he hit me straight on rather than at an angle, but the bike was in gear when it happened. Any thoughts on what else I should look at while I fix it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8E42E61B-9BB1-420E-84E9-4093C50F400B.jpg (254.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 0B4B4336-6C8B-49D7-A173-68CD6A67F526.jpg (373.4 KB, 22 views)
post #2 of 9 Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Garage
Don't know how things work in the USA but here (if you have fully comprehensive insurance) you would report it to your company. They would get the bike inspected then repaired and pursue the driver for compensation.
I would want the frame and swing arm checked fully, for cracks etc.
That rear subframe and plastics will cost a bomb, good luck if you're doing it your self.
And of course that rear shock "will" need replacing.
Gnomie likes this.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #3 of 9 Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky55 View Post
So I was stopped at a construction zone today, and I got ready to take off I was nailed from behind by a drunk driver. Could have been much, much worse, but it lifted the back of the bike enough to pick me up and throw me off to the side. Iím fine, was in full riding gear and caught myself as I went down.

The tail section of the bike is pretty torn up, I know I need to replace that. And the rear tire has some gouges, Iím replacing that too. My question is, any suggestions on what I should check to make sure the bike is still solid structurally? I was able to ride it home, didnít feel any play in the swing arm or tail, tested throttle and brakes along with some weaving to feel the suspension out, and nothing felt off, no new vibrations or anything different. Luckily he hit me straight on rather than at an angle, but the bike was in gear when it happened. Any thoughts on what else I should look at while I fix it?
That sucks itís probably going to have some unseen damage.
But like decker said use your insurance.

post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Garage
I hope you called police, a report would help tremendously. Take it to a dealer you trust or a local shop that is knowledgeable to have it checked out, their insurance will cover it. Since it’s on their dime, have everything replaced that was effected even the tire. Good luck, it will probably take some time, luckily it’s kinda the end of riding season around here.
GSXS-NH likes this.

Slow is fast
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Did the drunk driver get hauled off to jail? There is probably more structural damage than you can see right now. These things do not take blunt force impacts well at all. I'd turn this over to my insurance and being that you were hit from behind and by a drunk all in one you are a text book case for maximum compensation from the drunks insurance company. That is if he/she has any coverage. Personally I'd write that bike off and get paid out on it. To much that can go wrong on down the road from unseen damage.
dekker and oldjackbob like this.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I would take it to a dealer and let them go over the bike. I would also call a lawyer, his insurance should pay for everything including a new bike. Glad you didn't get hurt... good luck
post #7 of 9 Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
I too want to know if the guy got arrested ... Hopefully the guy (or you) has insurance. We all pay year after year for our insurance, this is your chance to cash in on it. Just sucks seeing your bike on it's side like that, most important you're ok.
post #8 of 9 Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Glad you are OK. That type of accident is one of my biggest fears. As you said - it could have been much worse. I had a similar thing happen two months ago but luckily I was in a car. It was my wife's car with a semi parked behind me for about a minute. Left turn arrow (lane next to us) turned green (our lane remained red) and for some unknown reason, the semi driver hit the gas. Total my wife's car buckling the rear quarters and c-pillars to the roof. If I were on the bike - it could have been real ugly.

I agree to report it to insurance and have the bike looked at. There could be cracks in the subframe. rear wheel, etc. that are not yet evident. If it is not found now - you cannot go back later. Good luck and I too hope the driver was charged.
post #9 of 9 Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately he left the scene before police arrived, so they can’t get him for drinking, but he is on the hook for hit and run at least, and there were two witnesses that gave written statements to the police. I’ll get the bike to a dealership when I get time, terrible time to be out of town all next week for work. I am fully covered uninsure-wise, but his insurance agency called me today and said his had expired in September, but we going to look more into it. They said that if he wasn’t covered, my uninsured motorist policy would cover the damage from my insurance company.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page