• 2 Post By frog4aday

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-11-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
7000 miles in the mountains

Spent the summer in the N ga mountains. Rode just over 7k miles on the GSXS1000F. I didn't reset the trip meters to obtain the season mpg average, it was 52. Had a high of 58, a slow day with the Harley guys, a fill up along the way netted 220mi and 3.8 gal. Wore out the oem tires at just shy of 4k, they basically suck, the rear slipped at the apex and on exit and they never really felt good. I'm guessing they lasted so long because I was getting use to the bike and not pushing hard at all. Replaced them with Pirelli Angels, a tire I've been using since it's introduction. I used the STs, I've used the GTs but didn't get better mileage or noticeable traction improvement to justify the cost. I run 36 psi front and 38 rear, both tires heat to the same temperature in all types of riding from as fast as I dare push it to the Harley type cruise. They never got over 145deg so they never felt greasy and always had plenty of grip. Yes I know there is better stuff out there, I've used all kinds and compounds of tires over the years, I just like the Angels. They are fine for my riding pace.
I installed an M4 GP slip on, it sounded great with the DB killer removed, not loud but nice and deep. With the DB killer in it sounded like a vacuum cleaner and the poser loss was really obvious, seat of the pants anyway. I rode with it for a month of so but really missed the turbine like feel and sound of the stock pipe so the M4 has it's place in the corner of the garage. I put 20mm bar risers on it and I feel they really helped. It's not a big difference but all the weight is now off the wrists and they just make it feel a little more comfortable. I had a givi touring screen on it but took it off, even in the mountains it just got too hot to block as much wind as it does, stock is fine. My longest day was only 480 miles, mostly twisties but did have some "4 lane" time, and was never bothered by the wind. Along the way I managed to put just over 2k on the SV1000s, still love to ride it, it just makes all the right noises and feels good, I just can't do more than an hour on it before the neck, back wrists and seemingly everything else gets sore!!!!!! One scary incident all summer. Didn't see the radar on light flashing while riding the SV, it's battery powered, and when I reached down to turn it on again I took my eyes off the road for a second or two. When I looked back up, standing in the road, no more than 50' in front of me, was the biggest buck I had ever seen looking right at me. I braked as hard as I dared and swerved, foolishly to the front of him. He turned around about the same time I got to him and we missed. Had he moved forward even a foot I would have hit him. Good for me!!!!!
For some reason I couldn't post or look at pictures on this forum while I was there. It wouldn't recognize my screen name. I'm guessing it was because of a different ISP. I have a couple of pictures of the bikes, nothing special, they're just in the driveway but the Black SV and the contrasting White F do look kind of cool nose to tail. I'll post eventually. (when one of the grand kids shows me how!!)
Love the bike, ZERO complaints.
post #2 of 10 Old 11-11-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
North Georgia has some great riding, I usually make the trip down a couple of times a year. Unfortunately I didn’t get there this year, broken collarbone. Nice write up, I was looking for a second bike and I was debating back and forth between the SV 1000 and Aprilia dorsoduro, which I ended up with. I had a sv650, which I loved, I just wanted a different experience. Any time you get 400 miles of twisties you had a good day of riding.

Slow is fast
post #3 of 10 Old 11-14-2019, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
North Georgia, South Tennessee, Western North Carolina...that is the sweet spot for riding in the USA. Great roads that just twist and turn and go up and down for mile after mile after mile. It sounds like you really had a good time getting to know your GSX-S1000 and have fixed it up to your liking.

I totally agree with you about the stock D204 tires; they are horrible. The best moment in a GSX-S1000 owner's life is when they A) replace the rear shock and B) replace the stock tires with anything else...because ANYTHING is better than the Dunlops that come on it.

Thanks for posting. Riding season came to a rapid and bitterly cold end here in my part of the USA. What happened to FALL!? I missed it. I must have blinked. Hoping we get a rebound and some warm days before winter really does show up for good. Some years are just like that. Which makes reading your post about better, warmer riding days on great roads a welcome sight.
mike d and Live2Race20 like this.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Where did you buy the 20mm risers ?
post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
E-bay. Lots of height and color choices.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Think you could post a pic of those on the bike? Posting pics is easy if you have the pics on your phone.

Last edited by Jorider61; 11-16-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sorry, I don't have any pictures that show the risers and I'm sadly not with the bike for 6 more months!!!!!! The ones I bought are straight up from the existing cradle and are what amounts to a 20mm cradle with longer bolts. Uses the stock clamps. They are not pull backs.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok, I just opened one of the pictures I have and if you blow it up you can see the riser.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Where’s the pic?
post #10 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
tried to send pic. I don't know how to. Thought just email and title but it won't do it. Quick tutorial?????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page