34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 11-12-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What's the catch?

Here in New Zealand these bikes have been hit pretty hard with the depreciation stick, and appear to be excellent value on the used market. Next to all its competitors, it's easily the best value big naked second hand, so I'm strongly considering buying one. What's the catch? Why are these bikes doing so badly on the used market?
Gnomie and frog4aday like this.
post #2 of 47 Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Garage
Got a bad rap around the throttle mostly, but actually there's recently a similar thread over here.

https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-...unpopular.html

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #3 of 47 Old 11-12-2019, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
No catch. If you want something fast yet comfortable... its got that handled.

2016 GSX-S1000
2013 Honda F6B

post #4 of 47 Old 11-13-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Previous nakeds have been a Speed Triple and the MV 1090rr - I like the idea that this bike would combine the reliability of the Speed and the smoothness and power of the MV.

Has the throttle issue been resolved? Most people selling them claim they have had an ECU upgrade. Is the throttle issue real, or blown out of proportion? I ask because LOADS of new bikes have "snatchy throttles" according to nick-picking reviewers, but it's never been an issue for me once adjusted appropriately.
post #5 of 47 Old 11-13-2019, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d632436 View Post
Previous nakeds have been a Speed Triple and the MV 1090rr - I like the idea that this bike would combine the reliability of the Speed and the smoothness and power of the MV.

Has the throttle issue been resolved? Most people selling them claim they have had an ECU upgrade. Is the throttle issue real, or blown out of proportion? I ask because LOADS of new bikes have "snatchy throttles" according to nick-picking reviewers, but it's never been an issue for me once adjusted appropriately.
It seems a little hit of miss, with emphasis on the "hit". My 2016 has no problem at all. I had a 2015 FZ-07 (that I still miss) that had a much snatchier throttle than this. Mine is fine, but others have said they have ridden different GSX-S1000s and some had it bad and others were good, so it appears to be a crap shoot. There are many solutions though (just do a search), some cost more than others and there is a wide variety of solutions with varying degrees of success. Test ride it if you can. I test rode mine. It's a dream machine.
post #6 of 47 Old 11-13-2019, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d632436 View Post
Here in New Zealand these bikes have been hit pretty hard with the depreciation stick, and appear to be excellent value on the used market. Next to all its competitors, it's easily the best value big naked second hand, so I'm strongly considering buying one. What's the catch? Why are these bikes doing so badly on the used market?
Fellow Kiwi here, I picked up a 2015 naked blue for 10k with 18k on the clock completely stock other than a yoshi slipon, I couldn't be happier the bike everything I want and absolutely rail's after a few suspension upgrades. Not Everybody moans about the throttle, it was the thing for bike review journos to bang on about when they were released. but I have no issues and enjoy the direct response I've had a diet of litre sportsbikes for the last 15+ yrs so I've learnt to be sensitive on the gas and the gsx feels no different. I do recommend thou setting the tps, removing the slack fron throttle and a Katana throttle tube which has a different ramp profile and us $35 incl grip and is 5 min bolt on. Cheers
d632436 likes this.

Last edited by Kneedown69; 11-13-2019 at 01:53 AM.
post #7 of 47 Old 11-13-2019, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Hi d.....,
The first bikes were 2015 and we released to Market too early. It appears that the Factory did not fully test them outside their own racetrack simulations. Also the fine tuning of the emission to an actual bike on the production line was slipshod.
Some were delivered as lemons and some creamy smooth. No two bikes were the same. PD and service from selling dealers in the USA seemed to be joke by our standards in Australia.

Suzuki released a new ECU around May 2016, to stop the bikes from surging up in speed by 500 rpm and then dropping back shortly after, and repeating this over and over.
Some people who got this ECU on warranty claim said that it fixed more than that, and made it less on and off on a constant throttle. Suzuki said no it didn't.

I personally had a May 2016 bike, that was a thin cream, rather than rich cream. It was perfectly OK once the suspension was correctly set for sag and become more bedded in, and in the engine by 4000 km.
Last week I bought a 2019 1000, and it is so different to the 16. It is a further refinement. 2018 saw so engine changes to smooth it out, and for 19 Suzuki have fitted a less abrupt opening throttle grip tube.
Continuous development, but the bike just looks the same and the stale old stories keep rolling out of the mouths of the uninformed folks who have only ridden a 2015 first edition or just read stories somewhere.

Yes, you can upset this bike by being ham fisted with the grip action. If you think of a racebike and how it should fire strongly away from the start line, this the how the 1000 is designed to be and is.
A Racer for old Racers - your either on the throttle OR off it.
If you jerk it on and off, it will object by being jerky. If you know how it needs to be ridden, it's all good. It's not a scooter with a rubber band drive. When you twist that grip in anger, it's like you've lit 2 rocket boosters onto the bike, even now in 2019.
If you want a Honda CB1100EX sort of big bike, the GSX-S1000 is as far from that as a HD is away from the EX.

A lot of the time I think the wrong sort of people (say, returning riders who haven't ridden a bike for 20 years) buy the 1000 without test riding it (there should be enough second hand one's around today),
and imagine the 1000 is a modern 1980's Naked GS1100E that they may have once owned. How wrong they are !

Rob.
post #8 of 47 Old 11-13-2019, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
It's a great bike and even better if it's cheap. Buy it and spend the $189 on the Dano's ECU remap. A small price to pay for the advantage it achieves. My last bike was a 2015 Yamaha FZ/MT09. A good value but nowhere the machine that the GXS is. As soon as you climb aboard and experience the silky smooth motor and tranny along with great handling you'll be sold. I bought a leftover 2016F and couldn't be happier. Good luck!
post #9 of 47 Old 11-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Same here, the bike is completely bonkers cheap even from brand new, good for us haha!
I wonder if the 2020 versions will be bumped back up in price.
post #10 of 47 Old 11-13-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
The depreciation stick is hitting pretty much all bikes right now with few exceptions....and hitting hard even on NEW bikes. Look carefully and you can snag new GSXS's, Z900's, and FZ's for thousands off sticker brand new. There are simply less people getting into biking as older die hard bikers age out of the market. There is no catch on the GSXS1000. It is a superb bike that is virtually bulletproof. Other than the throttle and cheap shock, this bike has no inherent mechanical issues. A jumpy throttle and cheap shock seem to plaque all of its competitors as well at this price point. I don't believe any of its competition has a drive train as proven as the GSXS. The GSXS is very fast and powerful for a naked, but the motor is not stressed at all in the GSX state of tune and should gives decades of service.
frog4aday likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page