GSXS 1000 Forum banner

No centerstand available.

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Beerded Wanderer 
#1 · (Edited)
I used to have a Kawaskai ZRX 1200 and so mostly lurked on the ZRXOA forum for a number of years.
The ZRX does not easily lend itself to a centerstand, not enough for the aftermarket to
develop one. But one of the members did. It was one of those things where members paid
money and waited. And waited. Probably still waiting. (Not me. I didn't bite.)

Accessories International DID offer a Hepco-Becker centerstand on their
website--for the GSX-S 1000---until very recently. When I inquired
about it, I got this short reply:

"The part number was discontinued due to lack of demand and it is no longer available."

So that idea was a dead end and made buying the Abba stand a no-brainer for me.

But (!) I also thought about it and concluded that GSX-S 1000 owners must be a different demographic than the ZRX folks. GSX-S guys are probably more sporting and not willing to put up with a centerstand for a bit of convenience when doing maintenance.
That and the ZRX folks are probably in retirement homes. Ha, ha.

See less See more
#3 ·
Blame it on the trend for under the engine slung exhausts (that deep and long steel box) with little side or no side cans.
Any centre stand will be ridiculous low.Win's and loses, I am afraid.

If a single sided swingarm bike has no centre stand option, but a chain drive, maintenance of the chain is a pain without a lifter stand.
When their like this, why can't the OEM's fit a plate at a suitable angle so the rear of the bike can be jacked up against the side stand and front wheel.
All Car OEM's have 4 strengthened for jacking places along the car sides.
From my observation, it seems no Bike OEM does this to make it a safe operation without resorting to a one way lifter stand or even bike's without the provision for fitting the lifter bobbins.

I think there is no excuse for all Bike OEM's to provide the swingarm with tapped hole's for lift bobbins on all double sided swingarm bikes.
Because it's not a sportsbike is NO excuse. The cost is peanuts in robotic production lines today.
A Honda CBR1000 has, and Honda CBR500 &650R don't. Bobbins are much safer when lifting than those right angled under the swing arm lifter alternative adaptor.
I hate them intensely, as they can and do slide around at the critical moment of the lift and lowering of the bike. Not everyone has an helpful assistant to brace the handlebars.

Rob.

#5 ·
Blame it on the trend for under the engine slung exhausts (that deep and long steel box) with little side or no side cans.
Any centre stand will be ridiculous low.Win's and loses, I am afraid.

If a single sided swingarm bike has no centre stand option, but a chain drive, maintenance of the chain is a pain without a lifter stand.
When their like this, why can't the OEM's fit a plate at a suitable angle so the rear of the bike can be jacked up against the side stand and front wheel.
All Car OEM's have 4 strengthened for jacking places along the car sides.
From my observation, it seems no Bike OEM does this to make it a safe operation without resorting to a one way lifter stand or even bike's without the provision for fitting the lifter bobbins.

I think there is no excuse for all Bike OEM's to provide the swingarm with tapped hole's for lift bobbins on all double sided swingarm bikes.
Because it's not a sportsbike is NO excuse. The cost is peanuts in robotic production lines today.
A Honda CBR1000 has, and Honda CBR500 &650R don't. Bobbins are much safer when lifting than those right angled under the swing arm lifter alternative adaptor.
I hate them intensely, as they can and do slide around at the critical moment of the lift and lowering of the bike. Not everyone has an helpful assistant to brace the handlebars.

Rob.
So Rob, I'm not sure what bike you're referring too, but my GSX-S1000 swingarm has very nicely made spool mounts. I use mine all the time and it's a simple one man operation to get it on and off my pitbull..

#4 ·
I used a ratchet strap on each pillion peg tied to my gym power rack and a front wheel chock to keep the front end steady when fitting the new rear shock.

I was successful, yet the entire time I was thinking "there must be an easier way to do this".

The jack lift points on the swingarm/ frame makes allot of sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.