LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What year model?

Hi guys,
Took my first GSXS1000 for a ride yesterday and I'm sold on getting one. I took the 2019 model for a ride but I generally prefer to buy "close to new yet used", mainly for the financial saving (which I then spend on mods hah). So my main question is, has much changed over the last few years with the GSXS1000's? I can pick up a 2016 model for half the price of a new one or a 2017 for just a touch more. Would I be missing out on much as compared to the new 2019 model if I did so? Thanks!
post #2 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnschwarz View Post
Hi guys,
Took my first GSXS1000 for a ride yesterday and I'm sold on getting one. I took the 2019 model for a ride but I generally prefer to buy "close to new yet used", mainly for the financial saving (which I then spend on mods hah). So my main question is, has much changed over the last few years with the GSXS1000's? I can pick up a 2016 model for half the price of a new one or a 2017 for just a touch more. Would I be missing out on much as compared to the new 2019 model if I did so? Thanks!
I'd pick up the best deal on a 2018. Added a slipper clutch.
Also blacked out the footpegs etc, looks much better.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainus83 View Post
I'd pick up the best deal on a 2018. Added a slipper clutch.
Also blacked out the footpegs etc, looks much better.
Cheers mate. Any particular reason for the 2018 model? What changes did they make from the 2017?

post #4 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Cheers mate. Any particular reason for the 2018 model? What changes did they make from the 2017?
They bumped up the power a little both HP and torque (on paper anyway) and met Euro4 requirements.
Slipper clutch (i don't think i'll ever own a bike without one again)
Smoked windshield on the F model and blacked out foot rests, gear lever, rear brake pedal, handlebar levers.
New colour schemes, the red and black is a winner

post #5 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi guys,

I think the only difference between 2018 and 2019 is a different throttle tube which smooths out the power delivery. $20, I think.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi guys,
The newer the 1000, the better the engine behaves. Every change Suzuki has done to the motor has been a benefit to a Rider.
While for the 2019, the snatchy throttle is better than in the 2016 version, it's still there at low revs when tricking along slowly. The ECU just lean's the fuel to just a whiff down the throttle tubes.

If you buy a 16, your getting a good bike still, I had and got both. If your in the USA, just buy the 16 and get the ECU tune flashed by Danos. People here swear by it, but only does the US.
You need to know the 16 without the slipper clutch need's a firmer handshake on the lever, but my 19 with the slipper is no featherweight in the pull in stakes, and I put the bike into neutral at the light's every time.
The 1000 has a 6 speed very close ratio gearbox, so your less likely to downshift too low. I can ride in 3rd and 4th everywhere I need while on the power, the torque is that strong.

Rob.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the great info guys. Helps make a decision for sure!
post #8 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Buy the cheapest one you find.
2018 added maybe 4 hp. Most of your riding will be at 60 hp or much less.
Slipper clutch is for ham-fisted (toed?) race track riders.
Since you are buying used, just test ride it at light throttle openings
and decide whether any snatchiness is something you can live with.
Unless you are north of 220 lbs, expect to spend $1000 (US) on a rear shock.
Avoid tail-tidy mods unless you only pack a ham sandwich in your pocket. The mods,
not the sandwiches, interfere with any decent luggage option.
I hope this helps.
stuckmoto, 14RS3 and mnschwarz like this.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-23-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbatim View Post
Buy the cheapest one you find.
2018 added maybe 4 hp. Most of your riding will be at 60 hp or much less.
Slipper clutch is for ham-fisted (toed?) race track riders.
Since you are buying used, just test ride it at light throttle openings
and decide whether any snatchiness is something you can live with.
Unless you are north of 220 lbs, expect to spend $1000 (US) on a rear shock.
Avoid tail-tidy mods unless you only pack a ham sandwich in your pocket. The mods,
not the sandwiches, interfere with any decent luggage option.
I hope this helps.
If you like looking at a hideous rear mud guard, want to transform a bike that leans more toward sports into a less useful vstrom and don't rev higher than 3k revs then this is awesome advice. Or buy a vstrom.
verbatim and d632436 like this.

post #10 of 27 Old 11-24-2019, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Mud guard is what it is. I would like the cleaner look of a tail tidy, but then you have crap all over your tail light, passenger seat and your BACK if you go through any dirt, water or mud. I don't see it when I'm riding it's just back there doing its job.

Any year is a good year, I never had slipper clutch and never needed one. I certainly would not spend any money to upgrade to a slipper clutch as some have inquired about. I have a 16 naked and the clutch pull is light compared to other bikes I have owned. I am just over 8K on the odometer and no problems other than a very comfy looking nest I found on my air filter haha. I can't blame Suzuki for that. Our furry or feathered friends set up a fully insulated party pad in my air box for the winter! They could have lived in any bike but they chose the GSXS-1000. Smart critters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0043.jpg (107.6 KB, 27 views)
mike d and frog4aday like this.

Last edited by Supercharger; 11-24-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page