24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 Old 11-26-2019, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Hi lads. I rode the original Kat 1100. I had the 650 Kat (shaft Drive...omg watch your down shifts in the wet). I had the 750 (with the Pop up head Light (that didn't work)Ö..At the time it was skinny wheels, crap suspension, and don't even mention Suzuki Alternator/ regulator /rectifiers !...But the Styling was so Radical combined with that Suzuki Motor was Like todays Kat. You hated it until you rode it !
I ride a VFR 800 to work every day. When I picked up the Kat (Melbourne CBD, Pissing Down, Friday Peak Hour, Mirrors not adjusted, indicator and horn switch upside down) , I thought, what have I bought ? My Arse is trying to climb on the Pillion to feel Normal. The handlebars are Twitchy...As is The Throttle ...Ill say it again ...That throttle Doesn't like Bumps in the road.I had some regrets about buying this Bike.
Sunday, I just did 150km up the back of Heatcote. The motor is loose now. I did some twisties near Puckapunal and came back down the Hume.
I am 57 and my Kat gives me the same Buzz I had 30 years ago !....
Its funny but until I read your post I had forgotten that I used to own a Kat 650 lol.
That thing didnít have much get up and go but it did have a fuel gauge and gear indicator
I used to have heaps of trouble with it farting and spitting in the wet stupid 650...
post #22 of 34 Old 11-27-2019, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombie View Post
Looks great Jaydee. Iím having the wheel decals and Red Brembos installed are the moment

Enjoy your ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tombie, The Suzuki exhaust looks like Dogs B... I did my exhaust with VHT paint from Autobarn. Do it now whilst the metal is clean....Makes the ugly cat/box become un-noticeable . Cost me AUD 40. If you want any advice on how to paint it,let me know !...I have 700Ks now with no chipping or flaking .
Tombie likes this.
post #23 of 34 Old 11-27-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
some of the dealers I have contacted , have told me suzuki is giving a 1,000 discount,one dealer even offered to waive , the 500.00 prep charge , funny thing is these dealers dont have the bike . they will order one for me . im thinking I might just wait till april , and see how low Suzuki will drop the price , I am in no hurry winter is just arund the corner here in NY .

post #24 of 34 Old 11-27-2019, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Jaydee, that is the best looking one I've seen so far. Love the black with red accents.

2016 GSXS1000F
2017 GSXR1000
post #25 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
It is a GSX-S1000 with a smaller gas tank and a different look. Same engine. Same suspension. Same exhaust. Same ECU tuning. As someone said, they could just sell a "Katana Kit" for those that want to make their current GSX-S1K look like the 'new' Katana.

I'm curious to see how this bike sells in the USA. Looks are a huge part of why people are attracted to something. For someone with a nostalgic desire, getting a Katana may be irresistible. For the more 'neutral' buyer, the question would be: "What does this bike give me that the 'standard' GSX-S1K doesn't?" And the answer is - a smaller tank (3.2 gallons/12 liters), revised throttle tube cam geometry, and a different appearance. That's not worth an extra $3,000 over the 'standard' GSX-S1K, especially when THOSE bikes are already being heavily discounted, making the price difference even greater.

I'm glad to hear the Katana is doing well in other countries. It's a neat looking bike and I like it. If it had a 4.5 gallon (17 liter) tank and was priced the same as the 'standard' GSX-S1K, but with better suspension, I think they would sell a moderate amount of them in the USA. But with the smaller tank and lofty price tag, I fear it's going to flop here. I'd be happy to be wrong. More GSX-S1000 riders on either bike would be welcome.
oldjackbob and Tombie like this.
post #26 of 34 Old 11-28-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well said Frog, thatís just it hey!

Freedom to choose and freedom to ride...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
frog4aday likes this.
post #27 of 34 Old 11-29-2019, 02:27 AM

Just wondering what’s the price of a gsxr 1000 in the USA?
If it’s the same price as a Katana that makes the price for a Katana insane.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #28 of 34 Old 11-29-2019, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is Jeff View Post
Just wondering what’s the price of a gsxr 1000 in the USA?
If it’s the same price as a Katana that makes the price for a Katana insane.
Hi Jeff,
I just looked at the Kwaka situation with the Z900 and the spin off Z900RS. That is the same as the GSX-S and Katana equivalents.
The Z900 in Australia is $AU12,995 ride away now for a superseded 2019 with the Z900RS being $Au17,995 - a huge $5,000 for the 1970 Z1 nostalgia clone.
So Suzuki are not so harsh ($3,000) compared to Kawasaki on the hip pocket.
Of the 2, I would take the Z900RS and try for a better discount over the Katana as I think the RS would be fairly easy to re sell when the time came over the Kat.

Rob.
My Name Is Jeff likes this.
post #29 of 34 Old 11-29-2019, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is Jeff View Post
Just wondering whatís the price of a gsxr 1000 in the USA?
If itís the same price as a Katana that makes the price for a Katana insane.
Google says list price in US for GSX-S is 11,099 and the Katana is 13,499 both 2019 models

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #30 of 34 Old 11-29-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Hi Jeff,
I just looked at the Kwaka situation with the Z900 and the spin off Z900RS. That is the same as the GSX-S and Katana equivalents.
The Z900 in Australia is $AU12,995 ride away now for a superseded 2019 with the Z900RS being $Au17,995 - a huge $5,000 for the 1970 Z1 nostalgia clone.
So Suzuki are not so harsh ($3,000) compared to Kawasaki on the hip pocket.
Of the 2, I would take the Z900RS and try for a better discount over the Katana as I think the RS would be fairly easy to re sell when the time came over the Kat.

Rob.
Rob I was all keen to get a z900RS before they were released but then I saw the price
and was like yikes thatís a lot of money for that bike.
I never owned the old z900 a couple of my mates ended up trading their Honda 4s in on them but for me I just
Couldnít see the sense in selling my Honda 4 that did 125mph yes I had done a few mods on the old girl
for the z.
From memory I think for a new z900 it was about $2,200 and a new Honda 4 was $1495 and that price
Difference seemed a lot of money back then.
As for the Kat Iím just not convinced itís worth that much more than the gsxs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page