GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Trying to gauge Sell price 2016

6K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  ChrisOH 
#1 · (Edited)
I am planning on trying to sell my GSXS this spring to move to the Z-H2. I thought this would have been a good platform to go wild on power as it was a GSXR 1k K5 base, but after talking with an engine guy it is too risky.

What do you all think would be a good price for it?

It has $6k in extra with Motor work ($4K), Custom map (fuel, timing-ignition Woolich), Bazazz for fuel and quick shifter, M4 full system, New chain 520, New tires..., Brembo MC & Steel lines, forks spring rate increased.
Actual 160 RWHP

Stock bar and LSL lower bar.

I am thinking of asking 11,000 to try and get between 10k and 11k. (or am I off my rocker)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a tough call. You never ever get back what you put into it. It's always harder to sell a bike with mods for more than a new off the showroom bike can be had for. Top that with the fact that these bikes are generally unappreciated by the motorcycle community, and you have to find someone who values what you've done to yours that's willing to pay for it. Not saying you can't get that much for it, but to find that right buyer it will likely NOT be a quick sale at that price. I suppose it all comes down to how much money you are willing to let go of and how quickly you need it gone.

#5 ·
Sorry dude. Sounds like a nice bike, but you'd have to find a very special buyer to get 10K out it. Most people will value your mods as a straight trade off as stock, if your lucky. You would be better off selling the non-stock parts separately, and reducing your asking price. Either way, 11K is off your rocker, but like I said, if you find the very special buyer, they might be off their rocker too. Good Luck and report back on how it goes.

#6 ·
I mean, what the heck, you never want to start too low unless you need it gone now. Start at what you want, then if you don't get bites, lower the price. It's easier to come down in price than up. The market will dictate whether you are too high or not. Eventually you'll either get to a price people want to pay, or you'll just decide to keep it.

#8 · (Edited)
At the end of the day it's a 4y/o bike and your asking close to what a brand new bike will cost, like someone said before you're going to need a special buyer. Even still that buyer will not want to pay dollar to dollar what you put in too it. You have to figure your going to take a hit on those mods, to answer your question the book value on a 2016 is about $ 7000 and that's the high side. With all your mods you might get $8500 if your lucky and find the right guy

#10 ·
Yeah I agree the more I thought about I highly doubt I will get anymore than maybe $8k if I am lucky. Yeah I didnt' realize leftovers were going for so cheap.. The black tank covers have been reinstalled. I threw the seat on it to get a pic of it after the orange wrap was done. I also have the lower, but man it looks like crap with the lower.

I know every Dyno is different and this bike Dynoed at 160 on the same Dyno my 2009 Race GSXR 1k stock motor with race fuel and map dynoed at 174. On a pump gas and map it dynoed at 169. (these are the numbers I compared it to and how the bike feels)

The motor work was SERTI valve job, Mill of the head & Thinner head gasket to increase compression about 13.0:1, along with a GSXR K5 Intake cam. Honestly on the same Dyno I doubt before motor work it would have pulled maybe 140. This bike really didn't have the oomph I thought it would. It wasn't even close to the feel of my GSXR K6s I had. It was ok in 1st gear, but after shifting to 2nd it had no getup, and the hesitation coming out of a corner hard in 2nd around 5k rpm was sad. It is possible I just got a under performing motor from the factory....

#12 ·
When your motor was flashed, did they adjust the ignition maps? The Woolwich Racing Tuning software allows you to remove the extra timing retardation in the lower gears. This has the effect of reducing power in gears 1 - 4, presumably in an attempt to stop you wheelieing off the back.

It's a simple process. The ignition maps just need to be set to the 5th and 6th gear setting for gears 1 - 4.

Reactions: verbatim
#15 ·
Yes I had them custom map the ignition when they did the Fueling to extract the most and try to make sure none of the hesitation it had stock when going WOT was removed. Prior to the motor work I had a TRE installed, but with the woolwich had them remove that. Stock even with the TRE there were times I could feel the bike hesitating when going quick WOT in 2nd noticeable more than a second delay before power came in. Almost felt like a Vacuum fed carb bike where the vacuum had trouble pulling fuel with quick WOT.

#13 ·
As a point of reference, I tried to sell my very low mileage, immaculate condition 2016 for $5900 (advertised in lots of places nationally) and got no nibbles. And I purposely underpriced every other bike of the same model year I saw for sale. Still no luck.

But my bike had nowhere near the mods yours has. You find the guy that is THRILLED at all the work and mods you have done, and maybe you get lucky and get $7000 from it? You never know. It's painful to modify a bike to make it just the way YOU want it, only to find that at resale time, most people won't pay you (much?) for those same mods.

If there are things you can strip off the bike to sell separately, that can help you make a little extra in the long run. Selling around Christmas in the USA is tough. People in most places aren't riding due to bad weather and they are trying to buy gifts for family, so finances are tight until about March. But maybe there is a guy out there looking to buy himself a nice "gift" (i.e., your bike!) You advertise and hope. Good luck to you.

#14 ·
I agree with frog, strip off what you can sell separately then hopefully in the spring someone will be interested in the motor mods. I still don’t see more than 7k.

I was selling my svt contour two years ago and nobody said I would get what I was asking. I was able to sell the wheels and a few of the bolt ons separately and actually made more than my asking price. I know with the motor work it kinda bites but who knows, maybe someone out there with deep pockets looking for exactly what you have. IDK

#16 ·
Yeah the more I thought about it I am going to ride it this year and save up for the Z-H2 and see if I can find a leftover later.

Had I went ahead and done a +3 overbore at the same time I probably would have been happy with it, but now with Z-H2 out I think it would be better to go that route than to mod the GSXS again. Shame that 1200cc kit wasn't in the U.S. I would have went that way right off the bat.

Really wish they had just taken this motor and done a 1100 or 1150cc if they were going to detune it so much.

#18 · (Edited)
Rode a friends H2 and it was fun, but I found it wasn't any 'faster feeling' than the GSX-S1000 due to the extra weight it was carrying. Plus it was weird - you twist the throttle and then it kind of 'spools up', then feels pretty fast, but the next corner is coming and it is time to shut that party down again and having to slow all that weight back down just wasn't as fun as riding the lighter, more nimble GSX-S. Obviously getting rid of some of that weight (full-exhaust?) and making engine mods would liven the H2 up some more, I'm sure, but it still comes back to the "power-to-weight" ratio. Not trying to dissuade you! The H2 was fun and I enjoyed riding it. But even with my friend lowering the pegs and raising the bars, the rider triangle was more cramped than the GSX-S. Not a big deal unless you are 6ft2in tall with 34" inseam, but if you are a tall/big guy, you need to be young to 'enjoy' the H2, ha!

Power is like meth - you get addicted and want more and more. You can never get enough and you are always looking for that next 'hit' to keep you going. It gets expensive. But I also know the heart wants what the heart wants and if you want an H2, waiting a bit and getting a used one saves you a lot of money and lets you know if that's really(!) what you want. Sometimes 'time' helps us see that what we thought we couldn't live without really wasn't the end-all-be-all we were hoping for. Might be something else catches your eye in the meantime and you'll be hot to have IT come Spring? Or not. For now, go wring out that GSX-S1K and enjoy it. Sounds like you've created a beast. Upgrade the suspension and no one would be able to keep up. And that's a fun feeling. Might make you re-think selling it. Lots of POWER and great HANDLING is just an unbeatable combo.

#20 ·
Power is like meth - you get addicted and want more and more. You can never get enough and you are always looking for that next 'hit' to keep you going. It gets expensive.
It's funny how you can be ok with something till you get more, and then you need more. I was happy riding 600cc sport bikes for a long time, Katana, CBR and a GSX-R. Then I got me a TL1000R and that torque! I got addicted to the track and decided to go back to a 600cc. Let's just say that first ride was....underwhelming. Sure it felt like it had half the weight, but wow it was pathetic. How on earth was I happy with this for so long? Eventually I got used to it and had a ball at the track.

When I let the GSX-R750 go so I could get a naked I really wanted my first I4 liter bike, and the GSX-S1000 became it. It scared the pants off of me for a while. Now I'm used to it but still love it. I'm not ready to try something more powerful no thank you! I don't need to get used to more than this like I did with the TLR.

#19 ·
Just for reference, I bought my 2016 in Dec 2018 used with 11K miles on it. Looked like brand new!! Full CS Racing Exhaust, Nitron Rear shock/spring, Rizoma bars and grips, frame sliders, Yoshimura plate/light kit, CRG mirrors, Brembo brake cyl/lever, stainless front brake lines, may be forgetting something... But of course no engine work. I paid $5,600 for it which I thought was a steal.

#27 ·
This is so true , I ride with different groups this one group all liter bikes full blow out sport bikes. Then I met a group from a friend of a friend these guys all had smaller bikes KTM390, SV650 Triumph Street 650. I was thinking oh this is going to be a slow day and I was in to it. Boy was I wrong LOL I needed my A game to keep up with these guys they were faster then the sport bikes.

#23 ·
2016 Price

I just bought a 2016 with 1,700 miles on the clock, perfect condition, for $5,000.
A little while ago I sold a Kawasaki ZX 9r in perfect condition with $3,000 in Dymag wheel and Race Tech suspension upgrades for $2,300.
Motorcycles can be an expensive hobby, especially when modifying.
But, it could be worse, as in cars, boats, airplanes, or even golf or skiing. Bicycles are low budget, but require physical exertion.

#25 ·
I just bought a 2016 with 1,700 miles on the clock, perfect condition, for $5,000.
A little while ago I sold a Kawasaki ZX 9r in perfect condition with $3,000 in Dymag wheel and Race Tech suspension upgrades for $2,300.
Motorcycles can be an expensive hobby, especially when modifying.
But, it could be worse, as in cars, boats, airplanes, or even golf or skiing. Bicycles are low budget, but require physical exertion.
Good deal on the 2016. I agree that “expensive” is all relative. I sold my old 1968 Piper Cherokee 180 and got motorcycles and in that case motorcycles are very inexpensive, at least when it comes to parts!! That one had a 360 cubic inch horizontal 4 cylinder that redlined at a screaming 2,700 rpm! Got roughly 10 gallons per hour and required 100LL in the tanks ($$$).

#33 ·
@ChrisOH, The H2 I rode definitely felt 'neutered', so Brock's Performance findings seem 'real' to me. It was a very nice motorcycle. Fun to ride. But the extra weight was a downer and my expectation of power was probably set too high (it's got a supercharger!) When the bike turned out to be civilized and ride-able, I was disappointed, ha! Great machine. My friend loves his. I'm glad he let me try it. I can see why he outfitted his for Sport-Touring duty. Seems perfect in that role.

#37 ·
Don't underestimate those old guys. Especially if they are on old or small bikes. We had an older guy I used to ride with named Hank. Hank rode an old VFR750. I went to a meet and there was a couple of guys with R1's that were complaining about being held up by the old guy on the old bike. I'm not sure if the Honda didn't come with a brake lever or not, because Hank didn't believe in brakes, he just railed everywhere giving those R1's a hard time keeping up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.