GSXS 1000 Forum banner

I need a new (second) bike...

13K views 94 replies 18 participants last post by  roy826 
#1 ·
I have a new (second) home in southern Utah and thought it might be a good excuse to get a second bike to keep there.
There is plenty of great riding around, including twisty highways, dirt roads, red rock trails and everything in-between.
I've been looking at some of the deals down there, and I'm thinking of maybe a 2019 SV650 ABS, or a 2018 DR-Z400SM (the same price).
I could also go grab an FZ-07 (my previous bike which I loved), for about 1K$ more. I'm kinda leaning towards the SV (I had a V-Strom 650 with the same motor that I really liked).

Okay... let me have it? >:D

#5 · (Edited)
A single SM 400 is going to be a snooze uphill with those elevation changes at that elevation.
An SV650, better, but will still be looking at your watch.
Liter bike or better. Forced induction. :)
Turbo air-cooled Bandit if you like wrenching. Else an H2.
Of course, if you can arrange it so you are only being serious
downhill, then the SV wins. Stable at any lean angle.

#10 ·
Oh yea... that sounds great, but my limited budget and time won't allow that! My GSX will be my monster for the time being. I want my second bike to be a lower cost, lighter weight fun bike (if that exists after owning the GSX-S).

#7 ·
400SM is the most fun I've had on 2 wheels. Don't need to go stupid speeds to have fun. Was tempted to get one again before buying the GSXS. Small fuel tank (I filled up every 70 miles or so) but larger aftermarket tank options are available. I liked the versatility of being able to run dirt rims for dual sporting or just running knobbies on the SM wheels. Only drawback is freeway commuting. My vote would go to the 400SM.

Although, the SV650X looks sweet!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
From your description of the area and types of roads available, I'd go for a super moto too.
It sounds like it would be much more versatile if you are going to get just one bike.
And I've been out with some super moto bikes in road trim...they are pretty quick in the right hands:)

#20 ·
Mike, My 2019 GSX-S750 is still available for a low $7,700 US, but you will to need to arrange and pay for delivery.

Rob.
Hmmm, that would be pretty nice, but it's a little over my spending limit for something I could buy now. If I wait, I might be able to afford it, but it will probably be long gone by then.

#21 ·
Okay, I've got to add another bike to the equation.
2020 Suzuki DR650S. Local dealer has one in stock and I can get one for about the same price as the SV or DR-Z.
It seems like it might be a better pick for mainly road, but still some off road chops.

#42 ·
If you live in SC you can ride all year long, that’s why I picked up a DR650 to ride gravel/dirt roads in the winter time :) I like it, it’s kinda slooow (compared to GSXS), cheap, comfortable, and goes a lot of different places. Get one! And on nice days I still ride the GSXS.

#43 ·
That's kinda the direction I've been leaning. I won't be doing any hard core off-road, but will probably want to do some mountain highways. I'm afraid the DRZ might be a little anemic.
Tell me more about your DR.

#46 ·
I've found two 650s used down there for a good price. I owned a 2006 for a couple years and loved it. These are newer: 2011 9K miles $4.5k, 2013 3.2K $4.3K.
Now if I can get down there again before they're sold. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.