17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 12-18-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Gearing suggestions

Had my first proper ride on my 2016 GSXS today. Love almost everything about it, but I feel like it needs to be geared down so I can enjoy more of the engine before getting into going-to-prison speeds. What gearing changes have you all tried? I'm thinking of just starting with -1 on the front and see how that goes.

Also I'm having real trouble clutching up the front wheel on this bike. The lull between, say, 6k and 8-9k is giving me a really hard time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong exactly (I'm not exactly a wheelie expert) but I'm thinking a gearing change might help there too.

Last edited by WheatMillington; 12-18-2019 at 08:57 PM.
post #2 of 43 Old 12-18-2019, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
Can't help with the clutch ups but I went -1+2 and love it
Triz-man likes this.
post #3 of 43 Old 12-19-2019, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatMillington View Post
The lull between, say, 6k and 8-9k is giving me a really hard time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong exactly (I'm not exactly a wheelie expert) but I'm thinking a gearing change might help there too.
That lull is horrible. It is due to the way the ECM fueling is programed to meet EU requirements. Have your ECM flashed by someone like Dano's Performance and it will be gone. Your bike will be a freaking beast from idle to 12,000 rpm. The fueling map is one of several excellent changes he will make.
Packmule likes this.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS

post #4 of 43 Old 12-19-2019, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
My bike had the midrange flat spot....but a lull between 8 and 9K? Never felt anything from 8k up except brutal acceleration even on the stock ECU tune.

I did -1+2 and its awesome
Packmule likes this.
post #5 of 43 Old 12-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I’m at -1 up front with a tune, and I cannot hold full throttle in first gear. It will go beyond wheelies. It would flip over backwards. I can do power wheelies in 1st thru 3rd gears with just a twist of the throttle. +2 in the back would just be for the sake of +2 in the back in my case. I loved what the -1 did, and it will be what I stick with on this bike. I may go 520 chain later, but gonna wear this stuff out first!

post #6 of 43 Old 12-19-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
I am just +1 up on the rear (it is the 520 setup with aluminum rear Renthal sprocket) and that is only because I run the 190/55 rear tire. Bike will still wheelie up no clutch 1-3rd but not always fully up in 3rd just depends how hard I twist the throttle back. Bike has the full system M4, BMC race air filter, Dano's ecu flash tune and not's of junk removed from it.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #7 of 43 Old 12-21-2019, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post
I am just +1 up on the rear (it is the 520 setup with aluminum rear Renthal sprocket) and that is only because I run the 190/55 rear tire. Bike will still wheelie up no clutch 1-3rd but not always fully up in 3rd just depends how hard I twist the throttle back. Bike has the full system M4, BMC race air filter, Dano's ecu flash tune and not's of junk removed from it.
I'm one down one up 190 / 55 cat delete Danos ECU Flash. Can you explain how you get the front up in second gear without using the clutch. Don't care how hard I hammer it it does not lift. Are you snapping the throttle open from say 7000 and bouncing or yanking on handlebars?
post #8 of 43 Old 12-21-2019, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGSXSRider View Post
I'm one down one up 190 / 55 cat delete Danos ECU Flash. Can you explain how you get the front up in second gear without using the clutch. Don't care how hard I hammer it it does not lift. Are you snapping the throttle open from say 7000 and bouncing or yanking on handlebars?
I would guess with mine 2 up in the rear and a 55 rear with a decat our bikes would be similar. I also have the flash. Mine will easily pull the front up in second rolling into it, I have never really tried 3rd gear. Also I have never pinned the throttle in any gear, never had the need in 8000 miles.

Slow is fast
post #9 of 43 Old 12-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
I’m 140 lbs so I guess that might help. Guess I’ll toot my horn a little but I road raced for 17 years with WERA in the SE US and cool down win wheelies were my specialty **** if I didnt win I still did them lol. My dirtbike background goes all the way back to 12 years old and wheelies have always been a staple of me riding a dirtbike. I’m no stunted and do not proclaim to be one but I can bust a sit down wheelie on a 1000 for quite a ways.

Not all wheelies end well, I have a plate and numerous screws in my left wrist from a stand up wheelie gone wrong in 05 on a GSX-R750 back in 2006. That one hurt.!

My GSX motorbike bike totes me with ease.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #10 of 43 Old 12-21-2019, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post

Not all wheelies end well

My GSX motorbike bike totes me with ease.
This exactly. And if you're asking for advice on how to wheelie on an internet forum, then you probably shouldn't be doing them on the road.
verbatim likes this.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page