User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Do you like riding your GSX-S1000 at slow speeds?

One final noob question before I make the jump from my 650 to an S1000. Do you enjoy riding your GSX-S1000 when you're on roads with 25-45 MPH speed limits... or is it more of a chore? I find I can still enjoy this on my 650 (and I do it a good bit). Any opinions welcome here.
post #2 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
Now you gone and done it. It's a bike more happy to be beat, not chug along at low rpm. So kinda depends on how you ride. If you think you should be in 5th gear at 35mph, you might find the bike fighting you. If you're okay with cruising down a low speed street in 2nd, it's fine.

I split traffic a lot, like it's required, and it's normally under 50mph but always in 1st or 2nd gear and at speeds under 15 I know how and when to use my clutch so I don't get the bucking you can experience at low rpm.
tas722 likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Garage
I commute, sometimes slow, and sometimes I can let it rip. I prefer to let it rip, but have no problem at slow speeds.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I find the revs wander a bit around 2K rpm. So when I enter a 25mph zone I usually shift to 3rd or even 2nd. I think the engine has the grunt to pull but something in the ECU makes it wander a bit. In that situation I thought I read somewhere that the ECU is jumping from one map to another (don't know if that's true or not). I would consider this issue minor (keep the revs slightly higher by choosing the right gear). 25-45 I don't have any issues at all; lots of the back roads I ride on are 35-50mph.

Peter
post #5 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I have the same isue. An O2 sensor emulator helped the situation some. It still hunts at low rpms but it's less notable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernVA View Post
I find the revs wander a bit around 2K rpm. So when I enter a 25mph zone I usually shift to 3rd or even 2nd. I think the engine has the grunt to pull but something in the ECU makes it wander a bit. In that situation I thought I read somewhere that the ECU is jumping from one map to another (don't know if that's true or not). I would consider this issue minor (keep the revs slightly higher by choosing the right gear). 25-45 I don't have any issues at all; lots of the back roads I ride on are 35-50mph.

Peter
post #6 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerded Wanderer View Post
Now you gone and done it. It's a bike more happy to be beat, not chug along at low rpm. So kinda depends on how you ride. If you think you should be in 5th gear at 35mph, you might find the bike fighting you. If you're okay with cruising down a low speed street in 2nd, it's fine.

I split traffic a lot, like it's required, and it's normally under 50mph but always in 1st or 2nd gear and at speeds under 15 I know how and when to use my clutch so I don't get the bucking you can experience at low rpm.
Ah yes no problems with that. On my 650 I usually cruise in these speeds in 2nd so I can get into the powerband relatively quickly.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I commute every day on my bike, roads from 50km/h to 80km/h. Love it at every speed. I never find the bike trying to fight me - sometimes I wonder why people are trying to ride a bike like this at 2k rpm.
mike d likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
I can almost come to a stop in 2nd and take off smoothly, no clutch and under 2k revs. I do have a really good fuel map though. Also came from an sv1000s which was like riding a bull down low. In comparison the gsxs is like an electric motorcycle.
mike d, oldjackbob and Gixis1k like this.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-13-2020, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
i have no problem and enjoy the slow back road rides at 25 to 45 mph ... one of the bikes strong points i feel at those speeds ...many times i look down and find myself in 4th or 5th at 45 mph or slower and dont realize it and bike is smooth with no problem little gas and it pulls strong....matter of fact bike has no problem in any gear at any rpm......bike is stock....there will be some hunting from time to time depending on weather temps...and a shift up for a few more mph or shift down for a few hundred more rpm and problem solved
post #10 of 16 Old 02-14-2020, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
I find itís actually easier than a small bike at those speeds. The weight gives it extra stability, the bars and upright position help see over the traffic and give you good leverage, the clutch is better and you have more torque so you can be less fussy over which gear you are in.
The only downside for me is the width of the bars and the height of the mirrors when splitting traffic. They are wide so you canít slip down this small gaps as easy and the mirrors are the same height as a Transit Van wing mirror so I keep clipping them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WheatMillington likes this.

Pull my finger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in