Cancellation of Vehicle Registration in Queensland, Australia - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 10-31-2017, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cancellation of Vehicle Registration in Queensland, Australia

I've posted this tale here as it is of a similar vein.

Registration fees refunded on cancellation in my State of Queensland, Aust.

I have just sold my VFR12 due to old age in the hands and wrists, so I decided to de register it as I was selling it on consignment and I offer the usual 6 months rego to the new Gent whenever that happened on sale. Lucky for me it sold in 4 days.

Now I had paid Transport Queensland for the VFR's 12 months rego and 3rd party Insurance $485 on the July 1 2017, so I expected to break even.
I had 8 months unused, so I did my calculations and expected around $320 back.

NO, the Cashier said, the Computer is giving you $140 back.
Excuse me, I paid for 12 months, not 6 Miss Operator behind the Counter and security glass.
So I took the cash by EFT and went home and rechecked the bank transfer - Yes, paid for 12 months, $485, and had the printed Bank receipt.

Again I went back next day, different Operator, same response, AND I don't need to see how You worked it out, the Computer said $140 and that's that - FINAL.
So I asked if there was an added admin fee and how much ?
YES, and She didn't know how much, but said that you forfeit ANY Fees paid and get pro rata on the rego and the CTP residual left over.

So on the 3 rd. Party Insurer paper work buried into this paperwork document, I find there are levies and fee's that would hold a river back in a 1 in 1000 year flood.
The Computer was dead right, my $485 became $140 for 4 months riding out of 12 months paid.

The Moral of the Story: if you are in Sunny Queensland and you are in two minds whether to sell or keep a vehicle, only pay the minimum amount for the shortest time offered, as the National Injury Scheme Levy is a third ($152) of my total yearly rego cost's.

So If you cancel 1 day after paying, you lose that $152 cold and lose another $60 cold in other fees and levies (about half) too before you get any pro rata back.
Ned Kelly and the Bushrangers are still alive and well at the Qld Treasury Department.

Rob.

Later Edit:
Actually I went backwards with cancelling the registration. The cost of supplying 6 months of new rego to the new Owner was more than the $140 I got back due to paying another National Injury Scheme Levy of $76 (this started in July 2016) and all the other fee's and charges.
I would have been better off, just transferring the remaining 8 months of paid rego to him and walking away.
So he got 2 months less and I got fleeced.

This process could well apply across Australia as I expect every State is now in this expensive National Injury Scheme (probably great to claim on !).

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 11-01-2017 at 07:31 PM.
post #2 of 2 Old 10-31-2017, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
I've posted this tale here as it is of a similar vein.

Registration fees refunded on cancellation in my State of Queensland, Aust.

I have just sold my VFR12 due to old age in the hands and wrists, so I decided to de register it as I was selling it on consignment and I offer the usual 6 months rego to the new Gent whenever that happened on sale. Lucky for me it sold in 4 days.

Now I had paid Transport Queensland for the VFR's 12 months rego and 3rd party Insurance $485 on the July 1 2017, so I expected to break even.
I had 8 months unused, so I did my calculations and expected around $320 back.

NO, the Cashier said, the Computer is giving you $140 back.
Excuse me, I paid for 12 months, not 6 Miss Operator behind the Counter and security glass.
So I took the cash by EFT and went home and rechecked the bank transfer - Yes, paid for 12 months, $485, and had the printed Bank receipt.

Again I went back next day, different Operator, same response, AND I don't need to see how You worked it out, the Computer said $140 and that's that - FINAL.
So I asked if there was an added admin fee and how much ?
YES, and She didn't know how much, but said that you forfeit ANY Fees paid and get pro rata on the rego and the CTP residual left over.

So on the 3 rd. Party Insurer paper work buried into this paperwork document, I find there are levies and fee's that would hold a river back in a 1 in 1000 year flood.
The Computer was dead right, my $485 became $140 for 4 months riding out of 12 months paid.

The Moral of the Story: if you are in Sunny Queensland and you are in two minds whether to sell or keep a vehicle, only pay the minimum amount for the shortest time offered, as the National Injury Scheme Levy is a third ($152) of my total yearly rego cost's.

So If you cancel 1 day after paying, you lose that $152 cold and lose another $60 cold in other fees and levies (about half) too before you get any pro rata back.
Ned Kelly and the Bushrangers are still alive and well at the Qld Treasury Department.

Rob.
Bloody **** what a lot of complication down there. Mind you same here with the greedy twats in government..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page