LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-27-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Another bloke from PA

Greetings & Salutations Moto Maniacs!
As my name says, I'm an older fart, 41 and married with kids, and from the Harrisburg area in Pennsylvania. I'm completely new to the GSXS family as this is my first ever Suzuki out of the almost 2 dozen dirt and street bikes I've owned. I've been riding a street bikes since the day I turned 16, I only owned bikes until I was 20 and rode year round through snow and all. My first bike was a Yami fzr600 and it was nothing but sport bikes ever since.

I grew up riding motoX and I did quick a few track days on my streetbikes so I've considered myself pretty seasoned. I do like speed and can honestly say I've never had a bike where I didn't hit the speed limiter on. But with a busted up spine and multiple surgeries I'm now just a weekend rider that likes to get a little adrenaline rush and pull some wheelies to get my grinning from ear to ear. I've seen multiple fatalities first hand and have lost close friends while on the street so I try to be safe as possible and don't like playing in traffic.

Today was the first day I got my leg over my Gixxer and I'll be honest I'm not impressed yet and honestly a little disappointed, but it is break in time and I'm not about to go full nutter for a bit. Of course I'm also not used to the inline-4's as I've been riding a twin the past few years that's spoiled me with it's 161hp/85tq to the rear wheel with a wet weight of 411lbs I'm still kicking myself for selling that duc but my 2nd child was a bit unexpected, **** mailman, and I needed some quick dough .

First impressions, where's the power? Is it all really only living on the top end? I guess I'll find out soon enough plus my plans to throw a new sprocket on with a couple more teeth and a full exhaust with ecu dyno tuned for more low end will help. Also, I have to ask, and yes my bikes manufacture date was last year and it's ecu is original, what's everybody complaint about the throttles on and off fueling issue? Pull up your pants and stop complaining about something so minor effing minor FFS, haha. I consider it a bit of character and I've experienced much, much worse. Try riding some original fuel injected bikes or even some older carbed ones, you'd be crying for your smoother riding GSXS back .

Well anyhow before I get myself banned for looking like a crazy loon writing a book in an intro post I'll end by saying Thanks to the owner and mods of this forum as it's really nice! I look forward to reading and learning more about these bikes and I hope I can lend to the content.

Cheers,
Larry
Gnomie likes this.
post #2 of 8 Old 08-27-2016, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
You obviously know nothing about the history of the "snatchy throttle" issue. If you did, you would know that the problem varies from bike to bike, regardless of the manufacture date. If your throttle is acceptable to you, consider yourself very fortunate. I am 71 years old and have owned more than twice as many bikes as you have and I can say without a doubt that the throttle on my bike is by far the worst I have ever experienced.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-28-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmedlab View Post
You obviously know nothing about the history of the "snatchy throttle" issue. If you did, you would know that the problem varies from bike to bike, regardless of the manufacture date. If your throttle is acceptable to you, consider yourself very fortunate. I am 71 years old and have owned more than twice as many bikes as you have and I can say without a doubt that the throttle on my bike is by far the worst I have ever experienced.
Interesting response but thanks. I didn't mean to start a pissing contest so I apologize if I ruffle feathers but to mention I did make my posting about the fueling issue with humor in mind, hence the haha.

Of course contrary to your statement, I have spent dozens of hours reading up on this subject as it was one of the biggest concerns before deciding on this bike. After researching any and all reviews, speaking with multiple dealer representatives, I come to the conclusion that this isn't that big of an issue as it can be resolved. After all if it were that major there would be a recall right?

I've experienced this snatchiness as I've been on two GSXS's now but I've personally had far worse, from memory one of my R1's and my 996 were much worse with the throttle snatch. I've seen so many resolutions on this subject now from simple cable adjusting, new throttle sleeves, to Suzuki allowing warranty claims to replace ecu's because the first 3500 or the bikes manufactured before Fed 16th were the ones with the issues so I wouldn't know what to believe as a perfect fix. All I do know is reviewers sometimes nit pick over the smallest things, then everyone else follows suit blowing things out of proportion.

I would like to say thanks as your December thread as it really helped quell my fears. From your initial complaint to its resolve, it was good to hear your two modifications rectified not only your situation but others as well.

To quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmedlab
' The PCV definitely improved the "throttle response" issue to a great degree but I still felt there was room for a little more improvement. So, I installed the Throttle Tamer and I believe the combination of the two has made the throttle response about as good as one should expect on a fuel injected sport bike.'

'
In my first post of this thread I stated that the bike actually scared me when riding the twisties. Well, I rode those same twisties for about two hours today and felt quite comfortable on the bike. The only thing that scares me now is "my riding ability". '
That follow up made my day so I thank you for sharing your experience with others!

post #4 of 8 Old 08-28-2016, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Welcome. I'm curious as to how and why you decided on a gixxes? I get the impression that it is not doing much for you. Being an I4 most of the sexy times are above 7k.

BTW, at 41 you're definitely amongst the youngsters on this forum, myself included. We have a fair share of old buggers on here .

Getting up it for the rent
post #5 of 8 Old 08-28-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi Jaked! I'll be honest, my top reason for going GSXS is price. There's simply no other liter class naked bike near this price tag, plus I wanted to try a Suzuki out as their engines have been reliably bulletproof and I've never owned one. With 5 current disk herniations and a couple past back surgeries I need the comfort of an upright bike, but I also want the power to get up and go. If I could afford a SuperDuke, or wanted to risk the reliability, I would've went this way as I'm accustomed to the low end.

I may have misled with my statement about the disappointment, but as noted I'm just not used to the i4 motors and it's break in time and so far I've only had one spin from the dealer on her so far. I'm all about the heat cycle break in and will take it easy for the first few hundred miles until I'll change out the oil then it's time to flog this piss outta this girl like she wants.

It's good to see some more 'time experienced' riders are here! Schmedlab's age caught me off guard for sure, this dude obviously knows his stuff in respect to motorcycle engineering as well as many others here. I do respect my elders as well as know all riders share some connection within that draws us to the two wheeled lifestyle. Do I fit in here with you gixxer guys? It appears obviously not perfectly, I am an oddball and sometimes I say sh*t without thinking clearly, but I promise I'll try to chose my words a little better as I never mean to offend. I just need to get into this bikes style rooted into me. I promise not to overstay my welcome if not wanted as I can take a hint, but, so far I'm glad to have found this joint as it's been a wealth of knowledge and I hope I can continue exploring my bikes potential along side you'll.

Cheers
Jaked and LEAVEITSTOCK like this.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-29-2016, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
S'all good. Oddball? This is my first Suzuki and only my second in-line so no worries! What I've noticed about this particular forum is the emphasis placed on respectful/polite interactions and not giving advice where you have no clue on the matter.

Other than that, go for gold! We are men, not a bunch of blouse-wearing salad eaters!*

*But I'm sure that's fine too...

Getting up it for the rent
post #7 of 8 Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
olddude your a screwball..i like that....i want to here more when the time comes when you open her up
post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2017, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaked View Post
S'all good. Oddball? This is my first Suzuki and only my second in-line so no worries! What I've noticed about this particular forum is the emphasis placed on respectful/polite interactions and not giving advice where you have no clue on the matter.

Other than that, go for gold! We are men, not a bunch of blouse-wearing salad eaters!*

*But I'm sure that's fine too...
im rereading this thread while i eat a salad ..take that back now ...i really was eating a salad how strange is that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page