29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Why the GSX-S1000F ticked my boxes

You know, it's probably easy for all of us on here (ie. owners and riders of the GSX-S) to get quite blasé about the bike we ride and forget it's strengths - most forums tend to focus on being critical of the bad bits rather than the good. So, as a total newbie to the GSX-S world (but not new to riding) I thought I'd just pop in here and give you my thoughts on why I went for it (collected my bike yesterday).

I've been riding a Triumph Street Triple for over a year, and utterly utterly loved the thing. It was near enough perfect. I loved the seating position, the forward-bias of it, the wide bars, the sporty nature and flickability, the beautiful character and flexibility of the engine and the overall value for money it represented. I liked the styling. About the only thing I could critique on it was the throttle behaviour a little. My riding is primarily short trips for fun - weekend blasts with friends or a short cross-country commute to work or to visit buddies. It was perfect for this.

But as I look towards doing some longer distance stuff this year - one or two journeys only - the thought of doing them on a Striple wasn't the most exciting of propositions. Don't get me wrong, I'd do it, but... meh... a smidgen more weather protection wouldn't have gone amiss. So I decided to start looking for something that could deliver everything the Triple did, but with slightly more practicality for long-distance use.

I have spent months looking at loads of things, generally all brandished with the phrase "sport-tourer" or "adventure". Any pretty much everything "sport-tourer" has been far more tourer than sport, and everything "adventure" has been way too fudging tall and heavy for my 5ft 7" frame. I'd have liked to try an MT-10 with the Touring guff on it, but you simply can't find one and besides that... well, the looks just... aren't for me. I had an utter stiffy for a 1000XR for over 12 months now, but after trying some low-suspension models I finally ruled it out for good . In desparation I tried the R1200RS and within a mile discovered the error of my ways (please forgive me, my friends, I was just curious!). I'll admit I didn't even both riding the Tiger 800, much as I loved my Triumphs I was pretty sure it was a step away from sporty and a bit too far into the adventure/tour camp to float my boat the rest of the time!

It was only when I stumbled across the GSX-S1000F at the NEC that I realised I had never given this bike so much as a once-over, but when I sat on it at the show I thought "Bloody ****, this actually feels really comfortable and familiar!". Then I saw the price and was even more pleasantly surprised. So I vowed to go test ride one, and I'll admit I went into that test in the best frame of mind - I wanted to hate it. Surely it was a pretty crap bike for that money.

Well, suffice to say I was sold. Sure, it's not got the bells and whistles. The styling is rather dubious, or 'safe', depending on your viewpoint. And it's utterly useless for outright touring, particularly 2-up. For me, it's redeeming strength is that it is 80% sports bike, 20% tourer - a balance which pretty much every other bike it's compared with gets round the other way (far too toury and not sporty enough for *my* desires). And while the engine is no triple, it certainly has a character of it's own that I can admire and enjoy.

Sure, it's not perfect - what bike is - but sometimes the foibles give it a bit of personality. It rides beautifully for the money. The gearbox is a peach. The seating position is incredibly familiar and comfy, and the fairing design affords me just that little bit of long-distance comfort for me to look forward to the trips this year, rather than approach them with a dread that the weather might turn them into some sort of Bear Grylls adventure series.

And as always, the one point no-one from the other brands ever mentions... value for money. It's a whole lotta bike for the moola.

Hopefully anyone visiting this forum contemplating a GSX-S might find my thoughts useful. I did do a video of my test ride, I might upload it one day to the old 'tube
Rhyno54, tonyt, Beaker and 5 others like this.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brumster View Post
You know, it's probably easy for all of us on here (ie. owners and riders of the GSX-S) to get quite blasé about the bike we ride and forget it's strengths - most forums tend to focus on being critical of the bad bits rather than the good. So, as a total newbie to the GSX-S world (but not new to riding) I thought I'd just pop in here and give you my thoughts on why I went for it (collected my bike yesterday)

I've been riding a Triumph Street Triple for over a year, and utterly utterly loved the thing. It was near enough perfect. I loved the seating position, the forward-bias of it, the wide bars, the sporty nature and flickability, the beautiful character and flexibility of the engine and the overall value for money it represented. I liked the styling. About the only thing I could critique on it was the throttle behaviour a little. My riding is primarily short trips for fun - weekend blasts with friends or a short cross-country commute to work or to visit buddies. It was perfect for this.

But as I look towards doing some longer distance stuff this year - one or two journeys only - the thought of doing them on a Striple wasn't the most exciting of propositions. Don't get me wrong, I'd do it, but... meh... a smidgen more weather protection wouldn't have gone amiss. So I decided to start looking for something that could deliver everything the Triple did, but with slightly more practicality for long-distance use.

I have spent months looking at loads of things, generally all brandished with the phrase "sport-tourer" or "adventure". Any pretty much everything "sport-tourer" has been far more tourer than sport, and everything "adventure" has been way too fudging tall and heavy for my 5ft 7" frame. I'd have liked to try an MT-10 with the Touring guff on it, but you simply can't find one and besides that... well, the looks just... aren't for me. I had an utter stiffy for a 1000XR for over 12 months now, but after trying some low-suspension models I finally ruled it out for good . In desparation I tried the R1200RS and within a mile discovered the error of my ways (please forgive me, my friends, I was just curious!). I'll admit I didn't even both riding the Tiger 800, much as I loved my Triumphs I was pretty sure it was a step away from sporty and a bit too far into the adventure/tour camp to float my boat the rest of the time!

It was only when I stumbled across the GSX-S1000F at the NEC that I realised I had never given this bike so much as a once-over, but when I sat on it at the show I thought "Bloody ****, this actually feels really comfortable and familiar!". Then I saw the price and was even more pleasantly surprised. So I vowed to go test ride one, and I'll admit I went into that test in the best frame of mind - I wanted to hate it. Surely it was a pretty crap bike for that money.

Well, suffice to say I was sold. Sure, it's not got the bells and whistles. The styling is rather dubious, or 'safe', depending on your viewpoint. And it's utterly useless for outright touring, particularly 2-up. For me, it's redeeming strength is that it is 80% sports bike, 20% tourer - a balance which pretty much every other bike it's compared with gets round the other way (far too toury and not sporty enough for *my* desires). And while the engine is no triple, it certainly has a character of it's own that I can admire and enjoy.

Sure, it's not perfect - what bike is - but sometimes the foibles give it a bit of personality. It rides beautifully for the money. The gearbox is a peach. The seating position is incredibly familiar and comfy, and the fairing design affords me just that little bit of long-distance comfort for me to look forward to the trips this year, rather than approach them with a dread that the weather might turn them into some sort of Bear Grylls adventure series.

And as always, the one point no-one from the other brands ever mentions... value for money. It's a whole lotta bike for the moola.

Hopefully anyone visiting this forum contemplating a GSX-S might find my thoughts useful. I did do a video of my test ride, I might upload it one day to the old 'tube

Hey mate I was on a triumph street triple before I upgraded to the gsx-s1000!
I loved my street triple if I had the money to keep both I certainly would have!
I upgraded due to the fact all my mates were on 1000cc+ sport and sport tourers and if we did a day ride or trip I was not comfortable and happy after a few hours of wind blast at hwy speeds plus the 675cc was not great for hwy speeds of 160km/ph so I wanted a bigger engine for easier hwy rides. I didn't go the F model but the naked with a nice screen does the job! Plenty of power and easy cruising at 160km on freeways! I'm very happy with the Suzuki after 6 months I've owned it and I'm sure I'll have it a very long time!
Rhyno54 and FantasyGSXS like this.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Why the GSX-S1000F ticked my boxes

For me the reason for upgrading was simple the first time I rode the bike just seem to gel with me...... I have driven and on enough high-performance motor vehicles over the years and know that feeling.

I am totally there with anybody that says this bike represents a very good value for dollar..... I sort of take it as a point of pride when I purchase a car or bike that is a hidden gem. Are there better machines in this category? Yes (maybe)but they all cost more...... I put that maybe there because a lot of people argue that the technology on other bikes makes make them better.... but I haven't really seen that proved true in the real world other than as a subjective opinion..... i'm also honest about my riding abilities and know that the GSX is capable of more than I can throw at it in stock form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dqban; 01-09-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndo13 View Post
Hey mate I was on a triumph street triple before I upgraded to the gsx-s1000!
I loved my street triple if I had the money to keep both I certainly would have!
Me too, I was honestly thinking "Could I manage to make 2 bikes work" but it just wasn't practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqban View Post
...that is a hidden gem.
Totally agree; that's something I made a comment on when I was demo riding it. It felt a bit Q-car-ish, if you know what I mean. Most people wouldn't give it a second glance (me included, prior to really knowing about it). Some people need to be riding around on something that shouts out "Look at me" - and that's totally fine - but I kinda like the understated-ness of it
Rhyno54 and FantasyGSXS like this.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Brumster,
I couldn't have said it better and I have tried. My Street Triple is still in the shed with my gsxsf even though I had planned on selling it. Like you, I feel the Street Triple is wickedly close to perfect, a feeling I'm starting to have for my gsxsf. For me, nothing sounds as good as the Street Triple, but, I can't get enough of the gsxsf's low and mid tourque and, I'm actually a big fan of the high beam "trigger".
I'm hoping that by spring I have figured out how to afford/ justify keeping both bikes. If I can't, there's alot I like about the gsxsf.
FantasyGSXS and brumster like this.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I know what you're saying! We get to see the new one tonight, 7pm UK time but I kinda ruled out waiting for it as I'm not one to go for a new generation bike straight-off, plus I imagine the pricing will take a hike somewhat.

Some times it's good to try different things, even if it makes you appreciate what you had previously. We'll see what time tells with the GSX-S. I don't doubt for one minute that, one day, I'll be back on a Triple but for now the Suzie-Q meets my needs.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brumster View Post
You know, it's probably easy for all of us on here (ie. owners and riders of the GSX-S) to get quite blasé about the bike we ride and forget it's strengths - most forums tend to focus on being critical of the bad bits rather than the good. So, as a total newbie to the GSX-S world (but not new to riding) I thought I'd just pop in here and give you my thoughts on why I went for it (collected my bike yesterday).

Good write!! Yes let's see the video! 😊👍

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyGSXS View Post
Good write!! Yes let's see the video! 😊👍
I might regret this :-S but... here it is

Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Nice job on the video! Good information.
Your right, it's not as flicable as the Street Triple, but, it does have a very "attached to the road" feel, even during aggressive cornering.
I'd be interested in seeing you thoughts on the bike after putting a few thousand miles on it.
brumster likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Nice review brumster, spot on. I think the naked might be just a little bit more flick-able due to less weight on the front. I had the same problem with the main beam switch, I cut about 6mm off the end of it which mostly cured it.
brumster likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in