10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-07-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2017 Just Arrived - WOW!

I picked up my 1000 yesterday. Only had a few minutes to ride when I got home. Very first impression (14 miles) is this is the most awesome bike I have ever ridden. The throttle is fine. The torque is amazing. The engine is smooth. It is very light on its feet. It's been raining since I got it so I had time to bolt on a few items. Thought I'd share some pics for those that might be interested in these accessories. I added a Puig wind screen, C-Bow brackets, and SW Motech tank-bag with lock ring. Installing the windscreen takes a little time and a fair amount of finger dexterity. But it is very solid and I think looks pretty good. Sorry about the pic quality but the garage is a mess and space was very limited. Can't wait to get some saddle time. BTW - I was floored when I called my insurance company (State Farm) to add the GSX. $595 for 12 months. More than my 2015 FJR 1300ES?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg KIMG0138.jpeg (280.7 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpeg KIMG0152.jpeg (275.9 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpeg KIMG0150.jpeg (264.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpeg KIMG0140.jpeg (276.7 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpeg KIMG0149.jpeg (278.5 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpeg KIMG0147.jpeg (243.1 KB, 168 views)
post #2 of 21 Old 04-07-2017, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Garage
Looks nice! Any picks of the Tank bag mount (maybe with bag on and off)?
Thanks
post #3 of 21 Old 04-07-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
Looks nice! Any picks of the Tank bag mount (maybe with bag on and off)?
Thanks
Here you go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg KIMG0155.jpeg (257.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpeg KIMG0156.jpeg (256.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpeg KIMG0157.jpeg (298.3 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpeg KIMG0160.jpeg (294.1 KB, 123 views)
mike d likes this.

post #4 of 21 Old 04-07-2017, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks! How do you like it? What model ring and bag are they?
post #5 of 21 Old 04-07-2017, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats! It IS the best bike ever. I'm glad you like it. I like the blue, and now that I have one am glad they aren't making them this year. The grey is cool because there aren't a ton of grey Suzukis out there. Most people think my bike is a gixxer when they see it. I don't think you'll get that as much with the grey, and it's a little more unique.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-07-2017, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Insurance in California was $1200/year, and your insurance is still cheaper than mine was in Ohio - w/o accidents or anything.

I got in an accident 2 weeks ago and now my ins. is $2500/yr.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-08-2017, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
Thanks! How do you like it? What model ring and bag are they?
The tankring is the SW-Motech Quick-lock Evo Tankring. The bag is the smallest one they make - I think it is the SW-Motech Day Pack. I also have the next size up. One of the nice things about the Evo Tankring is you can pop on different size bags depending on your storage needs. The thankring can also be set up to take an electrical power source as well as a locking mechanism to prevent removal of the bag without a key. The bags are top quality and very durable. The only downside is they are a little pricey. The tankrings are bike specific but once installed they will accept any tankbag which allows you to switch the same bag between bikes.
mike d likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-09-2017, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Did a 70 mile ride yesterday. Here's more early impressions.

Windscreen - There is no buffeting from the Puig windscreen, just mild clean air. I don't think long highway rides will be a problem (I'm 5'7").

Engine - Very pleased with the smoothness of the engine. I could not detect any vibrations while cruising at 70 mph, or any other speed/gear thus far. I am observing the break-in, nothing above 5800 rpm and no full throttle. Torque is amazing. It is very easy to ride this bike in 6th gear from 25 mph + all day. Almost miss the need to downshift.

Throttle - Very controllable, no problem with on/off and no problem with maintaining constant speed. Whatever problem existed on the early models has been fixed. In fact, throttle control is as good as my 2015 FJR which had a wire throttle. For now I don't see the need for any throttle related mods.

Suspension - Agree with many others on the suspension, it is tight and I probably will fiddle with it after a thousand or so miles on the OD. However, I generally have a tendency to transfer weight to the balls of my feet when encountering rough road so I'm used to compensating.

Mirrors - Very functional and clear. As noted I'm 5'7". I do catch the tips of my elbows but still have a good rear view. No need for extensions or mods for me.

Transmission - Getting a clunk when shifting from N to 1st gear after the light turns green. Not anything I haven't experienced on many other bikes, but I'm hoping this works itself out after the transmission loosens up a little. Other wise it is very good on the 'snick - snick' scale. As note above, shifting gears is optional with this motor. In fact for normal street riding down shifting is just for fun. Prior to purchase I was planning on changing sprockets for highway use but there is so little vibration - none? - at 70 mph I may rethink this.

C-Bow - Solid an unobtrusive with the bags off. I also purchased the sport rack the replaces the rear seat. Haven't tried that yet.

Quick Lock Tank Bag - Works great. I have the small and medium tank bags which pop on/off with ease. I will be adding a larger tank bag in the future as I only want to use the panniers when doing overnighters.

Seat - Overall comfortable but I haven't done extended saddle time. As reported by others, there is a slight tendency to slide forward which probably will get annoying on long rides?

Exhaust - Love the sound. Love the looks. This is the best stock exhaust I have ever experienced. Wouldn't think of touching it.

Nits - I keep accidentally clicking the high-beams on. I think the lever extends a tad too much and may knock some off if it keeps up.

Editorial - This is a seriously powerful bike that needs to be handled with great respect. IMHO it is only appropriate for very experienced riders and experienced old farts like me that know their limitations. Brings to mind one of my favorite motorcycle sayings - "Know your limitations and those of your steed."
Beaker and mike d like this.

Last edited by joecbr; 04-09-2017 at 06:42 AM.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-09-2017, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Congrats on the new bike!

Weather here is warming up so I can get some seat time in, so far only put 150 km's on mine but I am pleased with it compared to the XSR 900 I had last season.

Black/Red GSX-S1000 & Matte Carbon ZX-14R
post #10 of 21 Old 04-09-2017, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
I am at 1400 miles and have had the clunk into 1st from neutral since day 1. I have had this with other bikes I have owned and found it was improved by lowering the idle speed. I have gotten used to it now and it is a non issue.

2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000
2015 Honda CRF250L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page