Old 06-22-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Finally received the L8

Hi All!

Yesterday I've finally taken possession of this beauty. Needless to say, I'm absolutely in love with it.

Right after filling up the first thing I did was to tighten the throttle cable. That made the bike much more predictable and made a huge difference on how it felt. That was not news. When I took a rider's training course at Honda, I got a nimble CB500, but performed poorly with it, thinking I was a shitty rider. No, the throttle wasn't predictable. Tightened it and we rode happily all day after that.

What I like:
Everything. What struck me the most is how easy and effortless the bike is. It turns, leans at will and has reserves everywhere. Compact, light, yet packs a punch. Easily manageable at low RPMs but accelerates hard if you want it to.

Sounds amazing: naturally I didn't rev it much above 6000RPM but it already screamed. The 1000km service is booked, can't wait to take advantage of the range.

Oh, so comfortable. The seat is not too wide and has just enough support. Before being able to take possession of the Suzuki, I spent the day on a 250km farewell-trip on the ever-so-comfy Fazer that I traded in. The Suzuki has nothing to be ashamed of in terms of comfort and the riding position is great as well.

What I hate:
The mirrors. Quite hard to set them up properly as they become loose. The highway windblast loosened the right one and I couldn't see a thing. Fixed it at home for the time being but I can't wait for the SW Motech mirror extensions to arrive.
(that's it)

Originally I planned to include the front brake among the "hated" list for having way too much travel before engaging, which wasn't the case on any of my test rides. I know, it can be helped by better brakepads. However, on the way home while I was busy admiring the controls, a white lorry made an emergency stop before be. I grabbed a fistful of lever, the Suzuki stopped exceptionally hard, but true. I had a non-ABS bike before, so feeling it at work was strange. It's reassuring to have such great brakes on the bike. I'll get used to the travel, don't hate it at all.

I've researched a lot about this bike - thank you for all the knowledge accumulated on this forum - so I was quite anxious about the dreaded "snatch". Do I have it? I honestly don't know. The throttle is responsive, but perfectly manageable. Exactly what you would expect from a 150bhp beast.

Some stuff is due from SW Motech (LR3 messenger bag, frame sliders, axle protectors, mirror extension, foot extension). Factory protective film over the tank and the back as well as lifter bobbins were fitted by the dealer. I'll fiddle with the suspension the handle uneven roads better, but that's it, leaving everything else stock.

Sorry for the second photo, I was trying to capture the wonderful feeling of finally being alone with you new ride and putting your stuff on/in it (the obligatory hi-viz vest and emergency kit just fit under the pillion seat).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180621_161034.jpg (401.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I had issues with the mirrors as well, but then I actually sat back and pulled a wrench out, loosened them up, adjusted them slightly, then refined, and tightened it hard, it hasn't moved in a few hundred miles. but yes, I do not like how they are set up.
Nice bike! welcome
Old 06-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome, glad to read of another happy owner. You'll be even more happy once you begin to enjoy 8k+ rpm.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Yea, tighten your mirrors up. I didn't have to do anything to mine, but they might or might not have (on a closed circuit course obviously) have seen speeds into the triples and have never moved.

Congrats on the ride, I love mine as well. I'm going to have it for a long time.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
Old 06-22-2018, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome! Yea, the mirrors seem a little more complicated and hard to tighten than they should be, but once you get the mojo, they (at least mine) work great and stay in place just fine.
LEAVEITSTOCK and TheDude like this.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Tried to install the SW Motech mirror extensions, but no luck, it appears that I've been sent the wrong version, the bolts wouldn't fit either way. Got fed up fiddling with them, went riding instead. The mirrors are still a pain, but I'll get the hang of it.

Man, what a bike. Power everywhere, the twisties have never been this much fun.

Softened up the suspension somewhat, front and rear, it greatly improved riding comfort on uneven roads and in the city. It's also easier to keep a steady throttle. This and throttle cable adjustment really made the bike much smoother. I think after a few thousand kilometers it'll be even better, so I'm not considering adding anything (throttle tamer, PC) to address issues that luckily I don't have.
robdeniro0 likes this.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had all kinds of issues with the mirrors. Woody the Service guy at Berts Mega Mall said just put Loctite in it. I bought the blue one and that is all she wrote. Not the glue of course.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairgame View Post
I had all kinds of issues with the mirrors. Woody the Service guy at Berts Mega Mall said just put Loctite in it. I bought the blue one and that is all she wrote. Not the glue of course.
SW Motech also suggest putting Loctite (thread locker) in it, but I guess you have to set the mirrors 100% sure, because after the thread locker sticks, you can barely adjust them anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in