Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Garage
I wonder how the rear shock compares?
post #12 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Well the 'model code' makes it hard to tell if someone has a GSX-S1000 or a Katana!

Katana MODEL CODE = GSX-S1000SM0

I was seeing it like Canius82 ("...wait...isn't that a Katana?") I didn't realize it was going to ALSO be called a GSX-S1000...good thing they added the SM0 to the end of it (subtle.)

Nice to have our FIRST Katana owner on here (that I'm aware of.) Looking forward to hearing about your bike. Things you like, things that are weird, things you'd change.
Tombie likes this.

Last edited by frog4aday; 08-16-2019 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Deleted last sentence; wrong country?!
post #13 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 11:40 AM

Katana rear shock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I wonder how the rear shock compares?
Funny, I had the same thought. I'm sure Suzuki put the same 'paper weight/boat anchor' in the new bike. But Wilbers and K-Tech and Nitron will be thrilled, ha!
mike d likes this.

post #14 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombie View Post
All good mate. I live not far from the plant and we havenít had Red dust blowing around for about 12 years now. Back then there was a shift in processing technology and a big clean up. This end of town is all back to normal.

Where I work on the other hand! I run one of the mine sites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As long as your living the Dream thatís all that counts
Riding is living the dream
Tombie likes this.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Hi Tombie,
Another Aussie Owner here and our fist KATANA !
It's official designation is GSX-S1000SM0. In Suzuki labelling speak is indeed an S type.
The S is defined as a Naked/Faired combo with a top half only fairing encompassing the headlight and screen, (the engine uncovered). The Bandit 1250S comes to mind as a recent example.
And we have moved on from our L series to a M series with this new KATANA edition, with the 0 indicating a year model 2020 bike.

I for a very short time was an Owner of a new Orange M109 years ago. A perfect fit for the Red Centre dust.
I was half going for the 'Busa in the same orange metallic/Black OR the M109. I should have gone the 'Busa, 1800 KM proved that for me that I was not a born Cruiser type.
Sports Bikes rule in the Adelaide Hills, but the Whyalla is suspect the roads are long , straight and flat !!!

Rob.

Rob.
frog4aday and Tombie like this.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
There are some good bends in the Flinders Rangers but thatís a bit of a run just to get there.
For me Itís like 5mins and Iím in the twisty stuff.
Just another advantage of living near the Gold Coast
Tombie likes this.

Last edited by My Name Is Jeff; 08-16-2019 at 09:16 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Hi Tombie,
Another Aussie Owner here and our fist KATANA !
It's official designation is GSX-S1000SM0. In Suzuki labelling speak is indeed an S type.
The S is defined as a Naked/Faired combo with a top half only fairing encompassing the headlight and screen, (the engine uncovered). The Bandit 1250S comes to mind as a recent example.
And we have moved on from our L series to a M series with this new KATANA edition, with the 0 indicating a year model 2020 bike.

I for a very short time was an Owner of a new Orange M109 years ago. A perfect fit for the Red Centre dust.
I was half going for the 'Busa in the same orange metallic/Black OR the M109. I should have gone the 'Busa, 1800 KM proved that for me that I was not a born Cruiser type.
Sports Bikes rule in the Adelaide Hills, but the Whyalla is suspect the roads are long , straight and flat !!!

Rob.

Rob.
Interesting info about the model number. I guess they aren't trying to hide it's heritage. Does that mean the S1000 has a following (I mean more universally than here)?
Tombie likes this.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 11:26 PM

I think the GSX-S has been pretty 'flat' in the USA. Not a pure sportbike and the poor suspension on the 750 model 'soured' people on the whole line (IMO) and the POS rear shock on the 1000 didn't do the model any favors. Toss in the random 2016 models with glitchy ECUs, and it is like this bike doesn't register on anyone's radar. I'm hoping the Katana might bring people back around to "look" at the whole GSX-S line again and see what they've been missing. And there is a lot to LIKE about the GSX-S! Power. Comfort. Good looks (always subjective, I know.) What does it take to 'fix' it? A new rear shock. That's pretty much it. If a person got a 'bad' ECU bike (rare) a simple $180 flash at Dano's will sort that out.

So here's hoping the KATANA brings people back around to give the whole GSX-S line-up another look and get some love coming our way.
oldjackbob and Tombie like this.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-18-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I will keep you appraised on the new ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page