LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up My 68th birthday pressie has arrived

Well, the Street Triple has gone to a lovely couple in northern NZ and I picked up the new toy from Auckland yesterday. Surprisingly for a large capacity bike, it feels very much like my Street Triple in terms of ergonomics and manoeuvrability which is probably a strong reason why I've gone for it. Oh, and the seat is low enough for this shortarse to get both feet flat! The dealer set the traction control in Old Fart mode for the 190 km trip home, which I hope was a reflection of new tyres rather than my age . Even though conditions were dry, I noticed that the traction control was cutting in on a few tight corners as the tyres scrubbed in and confidence increased.

Too early to make any major assessment other than it's really easy to ride and sounds terrific with the little stubby can. My butt ached a bit in the last few km of the journey but will probably get used to the new seat - either that or it will get an Airhawk like the Triple. Got a small screen on back order and having matte 3M clearfilm applied to some parts of the bodywork and a fenda extenda is on order along with crash knobs. Looking forward to getting some k's on it and growing older disgracefully!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Home.JPG (705.9 KB, 127 views)
tsmetjen, lee711, TTNorth and 7 others like this.

Last edited by Kiwi Geoff; 05-27-2016 at 11:51 PM.
post #2 of 40 Old 10-23-2015, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congrats and happy birthday!! I have the same bike and love it!!
post #3 of 40 Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireek View Post
Congrats and happy birthday!! I have the same bike and love it!!
Thanks on both counts! Unfortunately, it's chucking it down with rain today so all I can do is drool and stroke it

post #4 of 40 Old 10-23-2015, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Dude, that's some back drop there, beautiful country!! Stroke that bad boy, it'll only make it more anxious Side note, mine was really stiff, the bike, and actually went out to pretty soft setting, I chase the rear a little in the corners but the overall ride is better, I also prefer no traction control unless it's wet, but that's just me, I road raced for years without it and at street speeds, I can't imagine a big highside.
post #5 of 40 Old 10-23-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you! We have a place overlooking Coromandel Harbour and the Peninsula has one of the better biking roads in the north island, called the Coromandel Loop.

Yep, I found everything a bit tight too and it skittered over bumps, although not badly. Your road racing experience would have helped no end. In a past life, I drag raced a supercharged Triumph, but that was because of my inability to go round corners without falling off
tonyt likes this.
post #6 of 40 Old 10-23-2015, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats! Bike looks stunning!

I'm in the same predicament, I also own a Street Triple and am seriously considering this beast! Look forward to hearing a longer/opinion review of your new GSX S 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 40 Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jccc View Post
Congrats! Bike looks stunning!

I'm in the same predicament, I also own a Street Triple and am seriously considering this beast! Look forward to hearing a longer/opinion review of your new GSX S 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Jccc. I'll put a "first impressions" on the blog in a day or two before those impressions fade and maybe a longer term review in a few months. I would have really liked to hang out for the Triple 800, but who knows how long we'll have to wait?
post #8 of 40 Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireek View Post
Dude, that's some back drop there, beautiful country!! Stroke that bad boy, it'll only make it more anxious Side note, mine was really stiff, the bike, and actually went out to pretty soft setting, I chase the rear a little in the corners but the overall ride is better, I also prefer no traction control unless it's wet, but that's just me, I road raced for years without it and at street speeds, I can't imagine a big highside.
Hi Geoff - Enjoy the new toy when it stops raining.

Ireek -per quote above - -I find front end a bit stiff even on lowest preload- any suggestions on rebound and compression clicks to soften for light 68 kg rider?
post #9 of 40 Old 10-23-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
Hi Geoff - Enjoy the new toy when it stops raining.

Ireek -per quote above - -I find front end a bit stiff even on lowest preload- any suggestions on rebound and compression clicks to soften for light 68 kg rider?
I know how to measure and set up front and rear sag properly as I've done it for both the Blackbird and Street Triple when I upgraded the suspension. Sadly, I'm in the same boat with the new one and will start experimenting when everything has bedded in. I'm 76 kg in my socks
post #10 of 40 Old 10-24-2015, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats and lots of fun with your bike....good choice :-)
Kiwi Geoff likes this.

2015 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
2011 Ducati Monster 1100 S ABS
2007 Honda CBR 1000 RR Fireblade
2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
2003 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
1997 Honda CBR 900 Fireblade
1993 Suzuki GSX-R 1100 W
1989 Suzuki GSX-F 750 F
1982 Suzuki GS L 650 GL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page