LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
GSXS visits 'The Dragon'

I took the GSXS down to the Deals Gap area this past weekend. I wanted to see how it would do on the twisty roads in the area, and also get some photos of me riding it.
I used this as a test run to see how well it would carry luggage and if it could take everything I need to camp for a few days. Friday was the ride from Indiana down to Deals Gap motorcycle resort, where I camped Friday evening. I saw a bear on the Foothills Parkway. I got rained on about half the trip down, but otherwise avoided rain the rest of the weekend. Saturday I did a couple runs through the Dragon for some photos, then did the Cherohala Skyway and headed down to Georgia. I stopped at TWoS in Suches for dinner and camped there Saturday night. Then Sunday I packed up early and did a 620 mile ride back home. Total miles for the trip was 1,236 miles.

Some observations:
Seat is great. I wouldíve thought that my rear would be screaming for mercy at the end of each day, but it wasnít bad at all. Yeah I did long days, 12hrs+, and my rear hurt, but it felt no worse than the Sargent on my SV. I might open the seat up and carve a little taint-relief in the foam.

Windscreen. I had planned on slabbing the whole way down and back, doing 75-80mph. As soon as I got on the interstate and up to speed, I decided that wasnít going to happen. Stock windscreen is just too small. Any amount of time spent above 65mph, the wind blast is exhausting, no way Iíd be able to do that all day. I donít know how you naked bike riders do it. Guess Iíll have to live with an ugly taller screen for the comfort. After I got off the interstate I took slower secondary highways the whole way down, which worked out because I found some fun roads.

I installed a Fuel Bot, which is way more accurate than Suzukiís sad excuse for a fuel gauge. Was getting 46-48 mpg the whole weekend, which I was amazed with.

On the Dragon:

Got lots of good photos. Haven't decided which ones to purchase yet.

At Two Wheels of Suches:

Camping at TWoS:

Made it under a Home Depot awning just in time on the way home. Sat there for about 30 minutes while it poured.
DTM74, Gnomie and AUtigers370z like this.
post #2 of 5 Old 08-01-2016, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Sounds like one heck of a trip! I'm jealous. I'd like to tag along on a group trip one of these days. I don't think that I would want to go that far solo. Were you able to let it rip on the dragon a little bit or was it more of a parade lap due to traffic and law enforcement?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-01-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
For being a Saturday I didn't encounter a lot of traffic. I think the weather scared a lot away. Most people used the pull-offs and got out of my way. There were a couple bikes and trucks that refused to let people by.
The only cops I saw were two Tennessee state trooper motorcycle cops parked at the overlook. I almost asked to get a picture with them. Should've asked if they'd stage a photo of me getting busted.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-08-2016, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
wow thats so nice! grats, nice pics!
post #5 of 5 Old 08-08-2016, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
There are aftermarket screens that are around the same size as the stock but have better design for wind dispersion - you might not have to get an ugly one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page