12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 10-12-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Comparing acceleration GSX-S1000F vs Ninja 1000

made video to compare my old bike to my new one.
Keep in mind when comparing acceleration to ur bike I am a heavy rider so bikes will be slower.
R1KSU likes this.
post #2 of 35 Old 12-23-2016, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've ridden both and will say that the N1000 is quite a bit smoother. The Suzuki is a bit more abrupt and violent... best way I could describe.
post #3 of 35 Old 12-23-2016, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Garage
Man you weren't kidding, your bike looks like it's pretty slow... How heavy are you?

Of course, you also started the video at like 80mph, so it's not going to look very fast to begin with.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F

post #4 of 35 Old 12-23-2016, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishlung View Post
I've ridden both and will say that the N1000 is quite a bit smoother. The Suzuki is a bit more abrupt and violent... best way I could describe.
What's interesting is I think this might be a regional thing. In my region there is no emissions testing or anything and the bike i just bought doesn't seem to have any of the violent acceleration issues people talk about (particularly from the UK/Australia and sometimes California).

I'm not 100% certain since my test rides have been fairly low speed (limiting myself to 5700 RPM for the first 500 mi) and mostly short-lived (cold af).

But comparing my experience in the same gears and RPMs with the video of the guy going from a herky jerky stock bike to one with the PCV, I don't think I have the same issues.

This was something I was actually pretty concerned about and even pre-ordered a PCV before I took delivery of the bike (later came to my senses and cancelled it to test the bike out first). The Suzuki regional rep around these parts said he never heard of these issues in this area but would assist me if there were problems.
sangedegsx likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old 12-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
What's interesting is I think this might be a regional thing. In my region there is no emissions testing or anything and the bike i just bought doesn't seem to have any of the violent acceleration issues people talk about (particularly from the UK/Australia and sometimes California).

I'm not 100% certain since my test rides have been fairly low speed (limiting myself to 5700 RPM for the first 500 mi) and mostly short-lived (cold af).

But comparing my experience in the same gears and RPMs with the video of the guy going from a herky jerky stock bike to one with the PCV, I don't think I have the same issues.

This was something I was actually pretty concerned about and even pre-ordered a PCV before I took delivery of the bike (later came to my senses and cancelled it to test the bike out first). The Suzuki regional rep around these parts said he never heard of these issues in this area but would assist me if there were problems.
I think he just meant the powerband. The Ninja 1000 has power almost everywhere. Our bike doesn't start flapping its d*ck around until about 7k, then it's super violent acceleration. Our bike has a very supersport style powerband, the Ninja 1000 is much sport tourer. If you've ever ridden a CB1000R you'd know what I was talking about. That thing is so user friendly and smooth it's digusting. You can go flat out in any gear and it pulls the same from wherever you start. It's sickening smooth, I hated it.

The snatchy throttle is completely different, that just meants you can't really ride at a normal pace, especially in the lower revs. If you ride a bike that has this issue it'll look like you're on a bucking horse even when you're just trying to be as smooth as possible.
sangedegsx likes this.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F
post #6 of 35 Old 12-24-2016, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoAJ View Post
I think he just meant the powerband. The Ninja 1000 has power almost everywhere. Our bike doesn't start flapping its d*ck around until about 7k, then it's super violent acceleration. Our bike has a very supersport style powerband, the Ninja 1000 is much sport tourer. If you've ever ridden a CB1000R you'd know what I was talking about. That thing is so user friendly and smooth it's digusting. You can go flat out in any gear and it pulls the same from wherever you start. It's sickening smooth, I hated it.

The snatchy throttle is completely different, that just meants you can't really ride at a normal pace, especially in the lower revs. If you ride a bike that has this issue it'll look like you're on a bucking horse even when you're just trying to be as smooth as possible.
Yes our bikes definitely follow a more 600cc supersport powerband.

One of my favorite dynos on this bike is putting it against the K5

There the K5 has that more linear power delivery similar to other liter sport bikes. The Ninja 1000 is no exception, just like about any other liter+ sport bike you look at, even the Hyabusa and ZX-14R.

The reason they are smooth is because as they increase in RPM there are no sudden increases in torque, it's a nice smooth sloping gradient that holds it form before slowly dropping off near the top of the powerband.

If you remember when I was describing it earlier, horsepower is basically a function of torque and RPM... so long as you keep the RPM increasing smoothly and the torque the engine produces is pretty steady throughout the rev range then that will translate to a smooth, linear increase in HP felt by the rider.

Problem is our bikes have those two strange dips in torque that result in those two areas that have violent acceleration. It's interesting how different the character of an actual K5 is vs the derivative in our bikes. If that is all purely because of emissions I don't know. If it is, my bike seems to be devoid of the throttle problems and I will probably end up taking it to a dyno to see how it looks. I might do that pretty soon in fact. Maybe a good ECU reflash will make the engine behave similarly to the K5?

I admit I haven't taken it must past 7k since I'm trying to keep her under 5700 RPM so everything mates properly but I am definitely curious to experience that 8k surge now.

Here is another interesting dyno comparing the GSX-S vs a Ninja 1000

Last edited by chuck; 12-24-2016 at 05:24 PM.
post #7 of 35 Old 12-24-2016, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

no MT-10 was injured in this test

http://suzukigsx-s1000.forumfree.it/

my garage:Honda cbr1000rr 04/cbr1000rr sp 14/ cbr1000rr sp2 17/cb1000r 15/cb1000r+18/vfr1200f 2011/cre500SM /goldwing gl1800 2018/ BMW S1000r 18/Suzuki gsx-s1000 16/gsx-s 1000 19/gsxr 1000 k2-k5 / Yamaha mt10 16/ mt10 SP 17/ mt09 2017/ tracer 900 2017/mt09 SP 2018 / aprilia tuono 1100 factory16 /Zero SR /kawasaki H2 SXSE stage2 19 , ktm SD 1290 GT 19 /Few (12) gsx-r oil cooled

post #8 of 35 Old 12-24-2016, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Chuck, modern bikes dont need running in the same as older bikes. go out and test the 8k rush NOW !

Yam FS1E
Hon CB100
Hon CB200
Suz X7
Suz GS550E
Suz GSX750
Yam 350YPVS
Hon VFR750
Yam RD350(air)
Kaw GT550
Kaw ZZR600
Yam FZ1S
Suz Burgman 650
Hon VFR1200 DCT (Don Guhl ecu flash)
Suz GSXS1000-F-Touring Killed buy a car
Suz GSXR1000 K7
post #9 of 35 Old 12-24-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1KSU View Post
Chuck, modern bikes dont need running in the same as older bikes. go out and test the 8k rush NOW !
Already did, got speed wobble out of it. Going to have to get the suspension dialed in and possibly look at a steering damper. Amazing power though.
post #10 of 35 Old 12-24-2016, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I can't agree with several of the comments posted on this thread about snatch, poor power curves and not being comparable to the R K5. The issues with S are the result of poor set up.

I've attached my dyno results, from a race tuner in Northampton. Blue is stock bike, green is after a few mods including a Rapidbike Evo fuel controller. It is currently in auto mode but I'm due to take it back for further tuning but just look at what a quick setup has resulted in.

Bhp is rear wheel and torque is ft lb. Tests were at the same facility by the same tech. Results speak for them selves but the bike is making 175bhp at the crank and over 80ft lb!

Hope this provides some insight to resolve some questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1389.jpg (202.4 KB, 142 views)
sangedegsx and R1KSU like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page