3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 11-21-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My GSXS got in a fight with a car :-(

Monday morning on the M25. 3000 miles old. Was just thinking recently how pleased I was with myself for looking after it... https://youtu.be/TRClwid8Q_M
post #2 of 21 Old 11-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Garage
That was nerve racking to watch, I was expecting every car to turn out in front of you. Good thing you got video proof it wasn't your fault and you weren't hooning around. Hopefully filtering is legal where you live.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F
post #3 of 21 Old 11-21-2016, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Hope your ok mate. Looks like the insurance company might be forking out for a new one.(?)

post #4 of 21 Old 11-21-2016, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
A good example of why I do not filter ,call me a ***** but I like my legs intact, yeah I could still crash but this just adds to the risk especially in the conditions, yes it was the car is in the wrong but I bet he did look and saw the gap between the two cars next to him not expecting a bike to come through the traffic , I'm sorry for what happened to you and wish you a speedy recovery though

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #5 of 21 Old 11-21-2016, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I've been taken out lane splitting before. I still do it 40+ minutes a day on my hour long commute to work. I'm so used to this exact scene daily. Why ABS is a must.

Hope you're not too bruised. Cheers to a new bike

Previous
=========
1974 Vespa 150
1997 Ducati 900 CR
2010 Sportster Iron 883
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
post #6 of 21 Old 11-22-2016, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you're OK mate. The advice I got from my IAM observers was to filter slowly and expect every gap to be filled by the car in the next lane. In my opinion, 30mph was fine for those conditions and assessing the gap in lane 3 I was looking for the silver Prius to move over not the Golf! I know it's not the same as being there, but that took me by surprise even knowing that one of them was going to change lanes. I don't think filling the gap in lane 3 yourself would have made much difference either as the Golf would have moved over and would have been so close to the blue Corsa that you probably wouldn't have had anywhere to go anyway.
cicloloco likes this.

2015 GSX-S1000FA L6 in Glass Sparkle Black / Candy Daring Red
post #7 of 21 Old 11-22-2016, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Horrible thing to see-I dont know if it is a good idea to give this to the ins company if the car driver has already admitted liability.

My thoughts?- You were going a little too quick- For me, if you cant stop in time, (and it was plain that cars do look for gaps, just like the one it went for), then slow down. The M25 is home to the worst car drivers I have seen. Every day there is some kind of rear end shunt, at the very least.

Good on you for putting this video on here pal, it just goes to show that this can happen to anyone. A crash at 30mph still hurts, both physically and financially.

Compared to some of the suicidal high speed filtering you see on youtube this is nothing, but look at the damage a low speed spill can have, you would never think it.
post #8 of 21 Old 11-22-2016, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
That sucks....Hope the low speed means low damage bill.
Similar almost happened to me last night
The issue is that when people are in nearly stand still traffic....They love to pull out.....and since they are trying to get out of slow moving traffic, they usually do it in a quick, unexpected way in order to make the little gap in cars they want to get into.

Whenever I see a line of cars in traffic.....I become hyper aware of what those cars are doing...I always expect an idiot to not see me and brake out of the line of cars at full throttle.(In apparent frustration I imagine) Happens so often Im almost disappointed when it doesn't Most of the time I put an additional lane between me and the line of cars
post #9 of 21 Old 11-22-2016, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. FYI filtering is definitely legal here. :-)

Woke up this morning with a slightly stiff neck and shoulder, but nothing at all serious.

Insurance company coming to pick up the bike soon - will see what they say about it and let you know.

Have already sent the video to insurance company. Quite a few people have said I was possibly going too quick. I don't know. I think it looks faster on video. God knows I've filtered faster than that before - we'll just have to see if 30mph feels "too fast" next time I'm in a similar situation.

The advice of moving into gaps and being hyper aware that a car might take a gap at any moment is solid - this is something I'll definitely learn from. Hopefully others will too ! There was no advantage whatsoever for car to change lanes, so I expect that contributed to me making bad assumptions about what the cars might do.

Personally I don't think pulling out suddenly like that without any indicator is defensible so I'm optimistic that I have a strong case. He also seemed very sincere about accepting liability - will see if his insurer thinks otherwise, but he was a good guy.

Also just made a little pocket money selling the video to a media company, so that softens the blow a bit. :-)

Thanks again - you guys are much nicer than the rest of the internet ! Will post an update if/when it gets back on the road.

Cheers,
cicloloco likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-22-2016, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Ouch!
Glad you're ok Bob. Filtering is always very subjective. I've been knocked off myself before now and you do learn a few techniques from experience for survival.
Next time you might think "is this too fast?" or "can any of those cars changes lanes". I always think if there is a gap for a car to pull over they probably will. It's boring and frustrating in a car and it always feels like the other lane is moving faster than yours, hence, watchout!
Anyway, good luck with the repair and on the bright side. You have probably finished what would have been a long and boring discussion in another post: We now know what the F stands for F-CK-d

Pull my finger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page