• 1 Post By gixxerjasen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-18-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
IRON BUTT Association

Have any of you done an Iron Butt run on a GSX S 1000F or GSX S 1000 ???-- I am currently training to get in shape for the 1k in 24 hours-- I have a givi topcase touring windshield and 22mm bar risers-- I hope to do this run before summer-- time will tell-- For some reason I can not get the picture of my bike on here---
post #2 of 9 Old 04-19-2019, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Garage
Haven't done it on the GSX-S, but I did do it on the FJR. It's not so difficult as it first seems. Keeping track of getting all your documentation is the hard part. I'd have a hard time doing it on the stock seat and nakedness but I think the F with an aftermarket seat and a decent shield would make easy work of the SS1K. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

If you are curious, here's my RR from my SS1K a few years ago.

LeanAngle: It's 4am and I have a craving for BBQ!

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #3 of 9 Old 04-19-2019, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Awesome. That sounds like a blast and something Iíd rather do riding with friends. Iíve never managed a 1000 miles in a day and probably wonít in the future I take my hat off to you sir.
My biggest boast would be around 850 but the bit Iím more proud iff was it was on a SP2 fully loaded with camping kit and clothes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull my finger

post #4 of 9 Old 04-19-2019, 08:32 AM

Garage
Some folks are able to do this better with friends and some without. You really need to be sure your riding styles and especially your stopping styles mesh well. When you are on the clock there's pressure that little things will eat into. It's not the riding really that gets you but making sure your stops are smooth and efficient. If you've got a friend who has to have a cigarette every stop, or your, ahem, bathroom schedules don't mix, people can get impatient standing around waiting while the clock is ticking. I'm better off on my own.

I learned a few things though doing it. First, I'm not one of those LD guys always looking for the next cert. I think I'd like to do the 50CC cert (50 hours coast to coast across the USA) but that's about it. Second, it does what people call shrinking the map, which at least over here is handy. Where I used to look at the map and think "Wow, that's really far away" now it's "If I start early, I could get there for a late lunch." Here in Texas we have to cover a lot of miles to get to any fun stuff, and being able to have the mindset and the efficiency to cover those miles quickly in large chunks really helps. For instance, recently I was talking to someone about them going to Colorado from Dallas. His plan was to get up and spend his first day riding to Amarillo TX. That's about 400 miles. Then the next day ride into Colorado. He was burning two extra days just getting there and back where I have the confidence to make it to the base of the mountains, about a 700 mile ride, in one day. That gives me two extra days to play in the fun stuff. I can remember when cranking out a 700-800 mile day seemed like a lot, but after doing the SS1K, it all seems very doable.

A couple of tips. First, try to ride a round about route. Out and back usually makes for boring riding coming back, it's better if you are riding and seeing new sights the entire way. Second, try to ride with the sun to your back. If you don't, it's going to be in your face all day, because you'll be riding into it in the morning and into it coming back in the evening. Third, know when to stop. Take a break even if you don't need gas but your body needs it. Don't push yourself unnecessarily just because you are on the clock, that's when it gets dangerous. Also know when to throw in the towel and realize you aren't going to make it. Unforseen things happen and it's better to call it quits than to keep pushing when you know you shouldn't. Fourth, make it a mission of some sort. For me in my RR above, it was about BBQ and my wife's grandmother. It helps to have a mission or something to see rather than just ticking off miles.
sangedegsx and oldjackbob like this.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #5 of 9 Old 08-01-2019, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Leaving tomorrow for a 4 day 1000mile ride. But itís all mountains through Tahoe/mammoth and Yosemite. 1000 miles doesnít sound like a lot but itís all twisties.

Great advice btw.

Beaker and mike d like this.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Don't forget to stop for some pictures
sangedegsx likes this.

Pull my finger
post #7 of 9 Old 08-01-2019, 04:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangedegsx View Post
Leaving tomorrow for a 4 day 1000mile ride. But itís all mountains through Tahoe/mammoth and Yosemite. 1000 miles doesnít sound like a lot but itís all twisties.

Great advice btw.

Reminds me of the old Twisty Butt ride. 500 miles in one day of nothing but twisties. It's more fun, but it sounds positively more exhausting than 1000 miles of straight roads.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1228169
mike d likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-04-2019, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Makes my 2-300 mile days seem a bit pathetic. In my defence however there are parts of the UK where that is coast to coast and back again!

Really need to start touring.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-11-2019, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Back in may I rode from Savannah Georgia to long island New York, it was 900 miles and I did it in 16.5 hours. I did it straight only stopping for gas and 2 food breaks. It held up like a champ and the only thing that was sore was my wrist from holding the throttle the whole time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page