• 1 Post By hugojose

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-08-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
front fender/mudguard removal/fit

My front fender cracked near mounting holes and needs replaced...….can it be done without removing front wheel?

cheers

Last edited by Monkeyhanga; 09-08-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #2 of 10 Old 09-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Believe this subject has been touched before in this forum. The brake line holders are rivetted in. They are not removable preventing the fender from being taken out with the wheel in place.

Now, given you are going to trash it anyway, you may consider drilling them out and probably fender can be removed, but means you would have to think another way of mounting them on the new one, if not wanting to remove wheel.
frog4aday likes this.

Last edited by hugojose; 09-08-2019 at 02:11 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Yep! True
But then you will probably want to fit a new one so the wheel will have to come out anyway.
The rivets are a pain and would be much better if they were bolted in. If you are thinking of doing a repair you might want to consider replacing them for bolts as part of the repair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull my finger

post #4 of 10 Old 09-08-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the advice Hugo its appreciated
post #5 of 10 Old 09-08-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
cheers beaker...….will put bolts in as suggested with thread lock.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-08-2019, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Remember, bolts will have to be very short so won't touch the wheel, but let us know how you do. I'd be interested in the results.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-08-2019, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
wheel needs to come out, unless you want to break the gaurd
post #8 of 10 Old 09-15-2019, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhanga View Post
My front fender cracked near mounting holes and needs replaced...….can it be done without removing front wheel?

cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugojose View Post
Believe this subject has been touched before in this forum. The brake line holders are rivetted in. They are not removable preventing the fender from being taken out with the wheel in place.

Now, given you are going to trash it anyway, you may consider drilling them out and probably fender can be removed, but means you would have to think another way of mounting them on the new one, if not wanting to remove wheel.
I have just replaced my front fender with a carbon one....NO the front wheel does not have to be removed, i drilled out the rivets with a small drill bit on both sides no problem, undone the allen bolts thats holding fender in place, managed to squeeze old one out, and managed to squeeze new carbon one back in without taking the wheel out...you do think its gonna crack but its fine theres plenty of flex in them...obviously dont go mental when flexing it just enough to get it in.
Then i re-rivetted the brake lines to my carbon fender using black rivets.....looks awesome now....
post #9 of 10 Old 09-15-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerLee View Post
I have just replaced my front fender with a carbon one....NO the front wheel does not have to be removed, i drilled out the rivets with a small drill bit on both sides no problem, undone the allen bolts thats holding fender in place, managed to squeeze old one out, and managed to squeeze new carbon one back in without taking the wheel out...you do think its gonna crack but its fine theres plenty of flex in them...obviously dont go mental when flexing it just enough to get it in.
Then i re-rivetted the brake lines to my carbon fender using black rivets.....looks awesome now....
Any pics? Was there much weight savings or mainly for looks?

2016 GSXS1000F
2017 GSXR1000
post #10 of 10 Old 09-17-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagenn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerLee View Post
Any pics? Was there much weight savings or mainly for looks?
Trying to post pics but keeps saying i have used my quota...i wil try shortly....
Carbon one is alot lighter but i only done it for looks BUT my mudguard was broken by a shop....a long story...they denied it...a gen suzuki one for a phantom would probably of cost me a few hundred and then some...carbon one was 150 but i wanted some carbon goodies on it anyways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page