Motogymkhana on a GSX - Page 2 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 09-28-2019, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Sprocket is probably 2 teeth up. Rear tire probably 190/55. Absolutely in first gear. The rider would have solved the throttle snatch with a flash or PCV and/or new throttle tube. He’s wearing a green bib which means he is a lower ranked rider. Top riders wear red, next down blue.
gixxerjasen likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-28-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Tell me the engine isn't smooth, he didn't hardly touch that clutch at all. Just smooth riding and lots of control.
You rarely use the clutch in gymkhana. You’re on the gas, driving around corners while simultaneously using front and rear brake to control the bike.
gixxerjasen likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-29-2019, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywalker View Post
You rarely use the clutch in gymkhana. Youíre on the gas, driving around corners while simultaneously using front and rear brake to control the bike.
Thanks, never done it, would love to try...maybe, need some crash cages, I understand to get good you have to be willing to drop it a time or two.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E

post #14 of 15 Old 09-29-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Thanks, never done it, would love to try...maybe, need some crash cages, I understand to get good you have to be willing to drop it a time or two.
Super fun! Been doing it since 2008. Although I am sure our bikes would be great for this sport, I couldn't bring myself to do it with any intensity. You WILL go down often learning the basics and you will still go down as you get better and begin to explore the outer limits of what your tires are capable of. Even the best riders crash, although with the right protection on the bike won't get badly smashed up. Most people buy a cosmetically ratty bike or an old, smaller cc bike until they become proficient in the sport before jumping onto something bigger, if they ever do. There is a large cc division but the champs are always on NSR 250s, DRZ 400s or something similar. There is no advantage to having so much power in such a tight course. Short wheelbase and nimbleness are what competitive riders look for.

I have a DRZ 400 for gymkhana with axle sliders and metal knuckle guards. It has gone down so many times I have shaved off a substantial amount of metal from the guards. Fortunately, DRZs are built to drop so no problem. The skills you learn on whatever bike you take to the gymkhana course transfer to whatever bike you ride so my advice is buy something you are happy to drop. Then, take those skills and do neat things like handle-lock stop tight U turns and and pretty much any manoeuvre under 50km/h with confidence.

Or... if you're cashed up, buy the cheapest GSX-S1000 you can find, get all the protective kit for the bike AND yourself and blast away!
gixxerjasen likes this.

Last edited by Flywalker; 09-29-2019 at 01:33 AM.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-29-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So that guy what lower ranked? Wow.

I'd love to experiment but agree it'd need to be on an old beater bike you wouldn't care about.

2018 Suzuki GSX-S1000

Blue rim tape / Fender eliminator / Pazzo levers / MRA Race Windscreen

2019 Triumph Speed Twin (for sale soon ...)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page